All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
rice
      #178039 - 05/10/05 03:07 PM
jewbug

Reged: 05/10/05
Loc: Las Vegas, Nv

Just a small question; in eating rice, is there any big difference with IBS in eating brown or white rice?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: rice new
      #178040 - 05/10/05 03:20 PM
ptillen

Reged: 06/27/04
Loc: Milwaukee WI

As I understand it, brown is a source of INsoluble fiber, whereas white is a source of SOLuble fiber. So white would be a better choice to begin meals, especially those in which you might be eating other veggies which are sources of IN.
I've found that brown rice can be kinda hard on my system; causes a lot of bloating. I personally do better with white; sometimes I mix 'em.
Hope this is helpful.

Re: rice new
      #178042 - 05/10/05 03:25 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Heather suggests sticking to white, I also mix 'em as I prefer brown, but some people do have trouble digesting it.

--------------------
S.

Wild Rice new
      #178102 - 05/10/05 08:15 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

Last night, we had "long grain and wild rice"...I think it was one of those Uncle Ben's packages.

Anyways, I generally each white rice (any kind, I've tried jasmine and all that, and I love it), because I have a hard time handling the brown. Does anyone know whether wild rice is soluable or insoluable fiber?

I went ahead and tried it, because it was mixed so that it was mostly the white, and I think I did alright, but I'm still having D almost every morning, so sometimes its hard to tell....

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

Re: Wild Rice new
      #178111 - 05/10/05 08:42 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

According to my endocrinologist - who was trying to get me to eat more insoluble fiber - wild rice is INsoluble.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Extremely soluable rice & tasty breakfast: new
      #178114 - 05/10/05 08:54 PM
FennelGirl

Reged: 05/05/05

Back when i was totally elliminating bread/glutens from my diet, i found that eating rice cereal for breakfast was all i could handle, and i quickly got sick of eating rice crispies & never had time or motivation to cook the Cream-O-Rice stuff (even though it just takes a minute or so, cleaning the pan was never something i wanted to do!) anyway, i discovered the joys of

drumroll please...

Gerber brand rice cereals!! They come in a box, and you shake out 1/2 cup or whatever, and just add water till it's a good consistency, and microwave for 45 seconds, add sugar and viola! super smooth rice breakfast, and it also comes in fruit flavors. my favorite is banana!!! seriously you have to try them. yeah it's baby food, but they're soooooo yummy, especially when your tummy's all sore in the morning.

#178127 - 05/10/05 09:59 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

According to my endocrinologist - who was trying to get me to eat more insoluble fiber - wild rice is INsoluble.

Sand, Your endo is right...According to one chart I have 1/2 cup of cooked wild rice has a total of 1.3 grams of fiber, 1.1 of that being insoluble while only 0.2 of that is soluble.
Brown rice is slightly higher in total fiber with 1.8 grams, 1.6 of that being insoluble and 0.2 being soluble. White rice is 0.6 grams fiber with the insoluble/soluble ratio being about even, same as oatmeal.

Personally I don't have a problem with wild rice but do with brown rice..go figure.
BTW, wild rice is not considered a grain, but rather a grass, so some who are intolerant of all grains, including rice, can tolerate wild rice. Kandee

--------------------

Chart? new
      #178133 - 05/11/05 04:44 AM
AlyssaKaye

Thanks Kandee!

Is that chart online somewhere? Boy, what a valuable resource that is...

--------------------

Re: Extremely soluable rice & tasty breakfast: new
      #178134 - 05/11/05 04:48 AM
AlyssaKaye

God Bless Gerber!

I haven't tried that yet, as I wasn't sure if it was something for the "adult palate" but I certainly will now!

I love their cereal snacking squares--especially now that they come in banana. And of course the mango, papaya, etc. babyfoods, because often I can't find those fruits here to puree. I use them, instead of jam and things on my toast or bagels. Yum!

--------------------

Thanks, Kandee. -nt- new
      #178163 - 05/11/05 06:58 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

BUMP--Does anyone know where to find this chart about SF v. IF in foods? -nt- new
      #179000 - 05/14/05 12:17 PM
AlyssaKaye

--------------------

#180068 - 05/19/05 09:26 AM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

Quote:

Sand, Your endo is right...According to one chart I have 1/2 cup of cooked wild rice has a total of 1.3 grams of fiber, 1.1 of that being insoluble while only 0.2 of that is soluble.
Brown rice is slightly higher in total fiber with 1.8 grams, 1.6 of that being insoluble and 0.2 being soluble. White rice is 0.6 grams fiber with the insoluble/soluble ratio being about even, same as oatmeal.

Personally I don't have a problem with wild rice but do with brown rice..go figure.
BTW, wild rice is not considered a grain, but rather a grass, so some who are intolerant of all grains, including rice, can tolerate wild rice. Kandee

Kandee....YOU should write a book... you are just a FULL of info... !! Yeah, I know... in your spare time....right?!?!? hehehe

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1461 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1290

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review