All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Um, just in case... new
      #178324 - 05/11/05 01:31 PM
kidsx4

Reged: 04/02/05
Loc: Fairfax, VA

I thought I could just get some recipe ideas to add more variety. Then maybe the rest of the family would be more supportive. One thing I thought of...give them an "assignment" to see how creative they could be in the kitchen making a dish that would suit everyone. My children are old enough....and adventurous enough...to tackle cooking.
This site has offered tremendous support but I guess my frustration lies in IBS cooking/eating 24/7. I don't have a problem with it...I promised my son I would eat what he does...but we are creatures of habit and my other children are being somewhat stubborn to this change. But they can live with it easier than they think. I may check with the pediatric GI office and see if they know of a local support group.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Um, just in case... new
      #178333 - 05/11/05 02:48 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Ah, gotcha, I misunderstood. I can echo what one of the earlier posters said - it does get easier. The first few months I was on this diet I felt like I was running on a treadmill as fast as I could go and constantly on the verge of falling off - there was so much to learn and remember and so much to change. A month or so I realized that most of it had become second nature now. So hang in there.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

interesting- have you tried roasted garlic... new
      #178440 - 05/12/05 06:19 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

its yummy and some people have an easier time with it... personally.. I love garlic and ahve no issues with it, but I can't handle much onion even diced unless its cooked to death so I use onion powder instead....

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

another thought... new
      #178444 - 05/12/05 06:25 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

if its finding foods without additives and you can afford to do it- check our organic places- coops, and health food stores often have good selections of organics.. and the local coops often save $$ on them... friends of mine had removed a lot of junk because they were worried about the health of their kids even before. Also- there is a lot of variety and it leads to a healthier diet for all.. and if you have other kids and a hubby who like beef- try steaks or hamburgers on the grill- doing a piece of fish or chicken off to the side for the IBS'er is easy enough and everyone else still gets that red meat fix.... and actually I've noticed when we have grill outs with company I'm rarely the only one to choose the non red meat option... even among meat eaters...

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Is roasted garlic easier.. new
      #178446 - 05/12/05 06:30 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

to tolerate than powdered garlic? I thought it would be the opposite. Like how you said the powdered onion powder is easier to tolerate than cooked onion.

How do you roast garlic?

Interesting. I figured if I couldn't handle onions (which I can't) I just wouldn't be able to tolerate roasted garlic. This would be soooo great if I could add garlic to my diet! I love, love, love garlic!!!

Re: interesting- have you tried roasted garlic... new
      #178676 - 05/12/05 11:06 PM
FennelGirl

Reged: 05/05/05

honestly i'm just so afraid of garlic now!! when i was a kid i LOVED roasted garlic slathered on a crusty, freshly toasted piece of rustic sourdough bread... i won't do that now though, but i do know if i eat a processed food labeled "roasted garlic" i get super sick, but if it's fresh garlic that's been roasted with a chicken or something i am usually OK... it's the oddest thing. like some chemical reaction happens as garlic ages or is processed. who knows! our systems are freakin' weird!

Garlic vs. Onions new
      #178677 - 05/12/05 11:15 PM
FennelGirl

Reged: 05/05/05

Cyndy, i don't know about you, but i can NOT tolerate onions!! like, NO way. they kill me. garlic i can do, but *only* if it is cooked well, and only if it is extremely fresh... you might wanna try it some weekend when you have no obligations for a couple days, just to see, you know!

who knows why one and not the other; another weird one with me personally is, i can have grapefruit juice, lemonade, lime juice, whatever... but god forbid i should ever have an orange or orange juice!! i have absolutely no idea why that is, but it's awful!! (i get orange smelling... "bloated-ness"... hehe) yeah, who knows. our systems baffle me. actually sometimes i can sneak a sip or 2 of orange juice, but anything more than that i know i'm just begging for trouble..

Re: another thought... new
      #178683 - 05/13/05 03:40 AM
kidsx4

Reged: 04/02/05
Loc: Fairfax, VA

I guess I never thought of that. We've only been into this a few months and I know lots of you have had YEARS of experience shopping, cooking etc. for IBS. I don't know why I was so adament about everyone eating the same....guess I wanted us to be one big happy family (ha ha!). Buying in bulk is an option for us, too. It may be a little more work preparing and freezing things but in the long run it does make cooking easier. Heck, I grew up in a family of 11 children (!!) so managing meals for a family of 6 should be a breeze. I'm slowly incorporating safe foods into everyones diets and though I feel I'm being sneaky, unless I say something, no one knows the difference and they will all be healthier because of it.

Re: another thought... new
      #178686 - 05/13/05 04:44 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

That's a great approach! Good work.
Remember that since the IBS diet is low fat and healthy it is good for all your kids to be on it. Much better than a McDiet anyway!

--------------------
S.

Re: Garlic vs. Onions new
      #178712 - 05/13/05 06:41 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

My guess would be that orange juice has more fructose than grapefruit, lemon, or lime, so that's why you can tolerate the latter, but not the former.

As for why some of us can handle onions (like me - oh, thank you, thank you, thank you) and some of us can't (sorry): I believe IBS is actually made up of a lot of slightly different overlapping conditions or illnesses and that explains why we all have similarities, but are still all a little bit different in what we can tolerate. Someday the scientists in their shiny white labs will figure it all out and each subgroup will have it's own nifty Latin name - like "onionus non-toleratus" for you and "whole wheatius ickyus" for me.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 843 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17904

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review