All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: Heinz new
      #178025 - 05/10/05 02:05 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I just double-checked my recently purchased bottle of Heinz ketchup and it still has HFCS. Here's the post that mentions non-HFCS ketchups. I hadn't read the hyperlink to Heinz earlier, but when I read it now it seems to point to a 2002 press release. I did a Google search on "Heinz ketchup organic" and found this page. So it seems like the Heinz Organic (non-HFCS) should already be available. I haven't seen it.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What is wrong with food companies? new
      #178116 - 05/10/05 09:08 PM
FennelGirl

Reged: 05/05/05

well i don't know about HFCS as a trigger for myself... but i do know that garlic powder is the #1 WORST thing i can eat. (well, aside from beans or something, but they're pretty easy to avoid!) and garlic powder, much like HFCS seems to be in EVERYTHING. (including many recipes in the IBS cookbook!) not only does it turn my stomach into a horrible wreck, i get awful headaches from it. my mom's the same way. it doesn't bother me in stuff like ketchup, cause i don't make a meal out of ketchup, but it's so frustrating cuz nearly every time i order grilled or steamed fish at a restaurant thinking i'll be safe, it comes with some nasty spice rub that is loaded w/ garlic powder or garlic salt. fortunately, i can tolerate a small bit of fresh garlic, cause it is tasty, but it has to be VERY fresh garlic. even an old garlic bulb that's been sitting in the veggie bowl too long will mess me up.

sorry, i just had to rant when i saw your post!

ORGANIC Heinz is safe!! new
      #178124 - 05/10/05 09:51 PM

Unregistered

Check your grocery stores here in the US cause ours in Florida sell a Heinz ketchup that says ORGANIC on it and that DOES NOT have the HFCS. I was so happy when I came across that. Anyone else have luck finding this???

Interesting... new
      #178131 - 05/10/05 10:36 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

I buy walmart brand ketchup, "Great Value" no HFCS in it. Just regular corn syrup, vingar, and tomatoe paste.

Thanks for this info. I'll take a look next time I'm there.

Years ago the law allowed that no manufacturer had to list the ingredients in ketchup. Back then it was called catsup, Ketchup was a brand name, (maybe still is) like Kleenex. It was a standardized list of ingredients that was used to make all ketchup brands. Thank goodness laws change. With the addition of HFCS and lots of artificially made ingredients we NEED to know what is in these products. Kandee

--------------------

#178140 - 05/11/05 05:13 AM
kidsx4

Reged: 04/02/05
Loc: Fairfax, VA

I agree! I have become an avid lable-reader since my son's diagnosis and I can't believe the junk that is put into so many foods. We have been keeping a food diary for just over 2 months now and, looking back, when he had a bad attack I could trace it to something that had "unsafe" ingredients. It takes me about 3 times as long as it use to just to go grocery shopping and I have to go to 3 or 4 different stores to find safe foods for him. While it can sometimes be tedious, we are trying to make it an adventure...a learning experience for him. I figure it's not too early for him to learn as much as possible about what he can tolerate and what he can't. He's only 11 now but as he gets older I won't always be right there to monitor what he's eating. Do you other moms of IBSers feel like this? And while I'm ranting (sorry), my other family members aren't making this ordeal any easier. I'm tired of hearing complaints about the food I serve but I also think it's ridiculous to make several different dishes to please everyone. The way I look at it is that we are a family and we should all pull together for the good of our son/sibling...even if it means "Are we having chicken, again?"
Sorry to go on and on but it's nice to have a place to vent!

#178170 - 05/11/05 07:10 AM
Sand

Hurray for you for getting your son involved in figuring out his own food needs and teaching him to approach it positively. I'm sure your guidance will serve him well throughout his life.

As for the "chicken again" comments: Maybe you could check out some Websites for children with more generally acknowledged conditions that require diet alterations, like diabetes, for example. I would think that a family with a diabetic child would run into some of the same issues. One of their support Websites could have some tips on how to handle family conflicts over food.

And I have to remember to thank my husband, who has never once complained about "our" new eating habits. He really is a treasure.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#178235 - 05/11/05 09:16 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Have you tried some of the ground turkey recipes in the index? They are great and I have served them to people without telling them that they aren't eating beef, in a bolognese or a chili it really is hard to tell the difference.

What are your other kids' favourites, are there safe versions that you can make that they all can eat? I know that Shell's Turkey Meatloaf is very popular (check the recipe index)

I am one of six kids and when I go home for the weekend (i am 28, the youngest is 11) my Mom tries to make something that I can eat that the others will eat..she makes chicken and turkey stir fries, fajitas (i avoid the sourcream) roast turkey or roast chicken, pasta with a tomato sauce and chicken or ground turkey.

BUT if they are having something I can't eat (like beef stir fry which they all love) I just get a separate pan and cook some of the veggies that they are using for a veggie stirfry for me.

I agree that you need to just cook one meal, but it would be awful if your other kids take their boredom with menu choices out on your 11 year old.

I also full empathise with the label reading, I was diagnosed last August and my first few shopping trips after that took ages but I am used to brands and things now so I have a good idea what I can and can't have and I don't need to look at so many labels. You will get used to this and so will your family, promise.

--------------------
S.

Re: Thanks! new
      #178301 - 05/11/05 12:00 PM
kidsx4

Reged: 04/02/05
Loc: Fairfax, VA

Thanks so much for your advice. I do need to add more variety so everyone is not so bored with the same foods all the time. I did make turkey meatloaf and meatballs but my mistake was in telling them the ingredients. Otherwise, I'm sure they never would have known the difference. I've been slowly testing the recipes I've found here and in Heather's book. Sometimes it seems like such a painstaking process but I'm sure pretty soon, cooking this way will become second nature. I think with summer coming, it will get easier. I don't work during the summer (I'm a preschool teacher)so I'll have time to experiment more. I also will investigate children's diabetic recipes. I'm sure I'll be able to do some adjusting to make it safe.
I'm up for a challenge!

Um, just in case... new
      #178303 - 05/11/05 12:06 PM
Sand

I might have missed another reference somewhere else in this thread, but ...

I wasn't suggesting you use diabetic recipes - you've got enough to do already - just that a Website providing support for families with a diabetic child might have some suggestions for how to cope with your family's unhappiness over your new eating patterns.

Good luck.

--------------------

cool- nt new
      #178313 - 05/11/05 12:45 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 865 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17905

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review