All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Confused!!!
      #177849 - 05/09/05 08:42 PM
Faye2

Reged: 04/28/05
Loc: USA

Okay here's the thing...my mom bought this thing at Thriftway thinking it would be safe. But I'm unsure! It's called Apple Chicken and it looks exactly like a sausage and the ingredients are all fine except the last one which is Hog Casings! It doesn't have chicken in the ingredient list so I don't know if Hog Casings are pig or chicken! Why would they call it chicken if it's pig?! Thanks in advance!

--------------------
~*Faye*~ ^-^

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Confused!!! new
      #177865 - 05/09/05 09:27 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05

Ugg...I have to say I just cringed reading that.

I imagine it would have to be pig....that's the only kind of "Hog Casing" I know. Although, I have to admit that I've never really paid much attention to sausage knowledge, etc. When I was younger, I read The Jungle, and I have a friend who worked in the meat packing industry to pay his way through college. Oh...the stories! I mean, I'm sure they are isolated incidents, and regulation is better now. But, sausage just never really appealed again....

Too bad though....Apple Chicken sounds good!

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

#177921 - 05/10/05 07:20 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

They are pork casings. If you remove the casing, you may be okay. Just check that it is a lean version. I can handle the turkey italian sausage fine, and it's marked lean (Jennie-O and Perdue I've tried). I either remove before cooking, or peel it off before eating.

#177929 - 05/10/05 07:30 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

There are lots of chicken and turkey sausages that unfortunately use pork casings. I also remove the casings and I'm just fine with the sausage - the one's I usually buy are organic chicken sausage with pork casings. Quite tastey. Check out the ingredients - if there is no MSG and no nitrites and the actual filling doesn't ivolve pork, I'd say you'd be fine if you can remove the casings.

#178057 - 05/10/05 04:43 PM
Faye2

Reged: 04/28/05

Thanks so much for your replies! I decided to try them because all the rest of the ingredients were fine and they were delicious! I had a bit of stomach rumbling later but I think that that was because of the green beans I had with it which ALWAYS give me trouble! I know the stories about sausage too...and spam. IT'S SO GROSS! I'm never going to eat spam in my lifetime! Oh and just a warning for those who love KFC...they had to change the name because the FDA wont aprove there chicken of being real chicken! Talk about gross!

--------------------
~*Faye*~ ^-^

correct me if i'm wrong... new
      #178107 - 05/10/05 08:22 PM
FennelGirl

Reged: 05/05/05

but when they say "pork casings"... isn't it the intestinal lining of pigs or sheep? (if it's sheep casings?) i never eat those things cause it sounds too gross, let alone digestion trouble. they talked about it on Emeril once... it was soooo nasty... he was just happily added chunks of lard to the meat grinder and pushing the sausage meat into the "casings"... oooh gag....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1313 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 645

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review