All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
fast foods..
      #177838 - 05/09/05 07:48 PM
Kemi

Reged: 03/15/05
Loc: MO,USA

ok we all know that fast food is not safe for IBS,period..but what about things from fast food places like sonic,they have grilled chicken sandwhiches,or kfc?are all those safe or is it still a risk factor?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sonic and KFC new
      #177851 - 05/09/05 08:52 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

Sonic does not post ingredient statements or nutrition facts. I asked at a brick-and-mortor Sonic last week, and they do not have ingredient statements on site, either. Probably best to stay far away until you are *very very* stable. Makes me too nervous not to know for sure what I am eating.

KFC, on the other hand, is quite helpful. Be aware though, that ingredients do vary by region, so just because you've learned it is safe where you live, doesn't always mean it is safe while traveling. And hey...did you know that it's called PFK in Canada???

Some foods contain definite triggers.
Original Recipe Chicken contains milk.
Oven Roasted Strips contain butter.
Green beans are served with bacon cooked in them. (Although not in all regions...)
BBQ Baked beans contain whey.
Biscuit is definitely a no--buttermilk, milk, cream, and whey.
Cole slaw has eggs (and cabbage!).
Mac and cheese is obviously a no.
Mashed Potatos contain whey or butter (depending on the region).
Potato Salad has egg yolks and HFCS.
Seasoned Rice has butter, cream, milk, and lactose.
All of the desserts (except Fruit by the Foot) contain triggers.

I know its a fairly long list, but it does help me to have the list.
Allot of the food (Crispy Strips, Extra Crisy Chicken, Honey BBQ, Hot Wings, etc.) have no definite triggers, but do have a very high fat content. In each of those, at least half the calories come from fat--and that's just way way too high.

In all honesty--that's the reason to just avoid fast food restaurants. If you do end up there with a group or something, probably the safest bet is to order a corn on the cob (be sure to say no butter). Cut the corn off with a knife, and mush it with a fork to make it easier to digest if you still have problems with veggies (I do...). Or, maybe order a fruit by the foot.

Probably not what you wanted to hear, and in the end, my advice is avoid it, or eat before you go. But, I thought I would post what I have learned, so that if different people can tolerate different triggers better, at least you know the choices...

If you want to check ingredients or nutrition for yourself, the ingredient statement and the customizable nutrition calculator are available online.

Good luck!

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

Re: fast foods.. new
      #177900 - 05/10/05 05:48 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Keep in mind that I'm someone who hasn't cut out all dairy as I refuse to give up butter (I don't use much anyway) and that I can handle trace amounts of it in food anyway and I don't have problems with a couple trigger meats (lean pork, lean ham, and venison) but here's my experience with fast food chicken :

I can handle some grilled chicken sandwiches from fast food restaurants. Culver's is pretty okay if I take off the lettuce. No mayo or cheese of course. Beef-a-Roo is also good to me. (Beef-a-Roo is a local chain.) Popeye's doesn't seem to bug me, either, and by rights, it should. Taco John's soft chicken tacos also don't bother me. I only eat any of this when I'm stable.

I don't know from my own experience, but I've heard from several people to stay far, far, far away from Mc Donald's.

#177916 - 05/10/05 06:56 AM
Kemi

yeah i used to eat at mcdonalds every single day!!!!!its kinda depressing how we cant eat there..some places dont list the ingreidents which relley bother me..!errrr...i dont relley care about getting C or D so much as i do the gas and bloating..but i guess ibs is different for everyone.

IBS is different for all, new
      #177927 - 05/10/05 07:30 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

btu I can handle TIos (local mexi chain) without cheese....
subway if I'm careful and picky about order
panera the same

otherwise I don't do quicky foods at all.... its just easier not to do fast food other then teh sandwich places....

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#177934 - 05/10/05 07:44 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

My husband and I travel up and down the east coast quite a bit visiting our families and freinds, and end up eating dinner fast food almost every time. Sometimes I just make my own food to bring allong, but I have found a few choices at certain chains that work for me. At Arby's - market fresh sandwiches are great - just avoid the chicken salad, avoid anything with bacon and take off all lettus (or order without). At burger king, the chicken wopper (or BK broiler depending on what state you're in) is safe if you can handle whey (it's in the buns). Again - no lettus, cheese or mayo. They will also sell you the paddie minus the bun and it's not bad dipped in barbeque sauce. Popeye's has a grilled chicken sandwich that I recall eating once or twice. Subway has a handfull of safe choices, just avoid the trggers there. At Boston Market, Carver sandwiches can be taylored to the point they are safe as well. Their chicken soup is also pretty safe - but salty. So the list is a bit slim, but there's the options I can think of...

#178026 - 05/10/05 02:07 PM
Amy1973

Reged: 09/17/04
Loc: Mesa,AZ

If your not stable I wouldn't try it.. I have ate Sonics grilled chicken sandwhich after I was stable and was fine with it. I ordered it plain.

#178067 - 05/10/05 05:10 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

i am okay with a grilled chicken from Wendy's (not breaded just a chicken breast on a bun) lol but I ask for no sauce and mayo on the side. I remove the lettuce and tomoto and add a little mayo. I can also have a turkey sub from Subway. Anywhere else I don't go near. I am in Canada so our places and ingredients are prob a bit different.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#178088 - 05/10/05 06:36 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Just out of curiosity... what's the P in PFK in Canada stand for? Not Kentucky...

#178090 - 05/10/05 06:47 PM
hippygirl

Reged: 05/10/05

LOL - we do call it KFC in Canada - the "P" is the french version - Poulet (french word for chicken)

I just can't eat there

#178092 - 05/10/05 07:35 PM
Kemi

aawww!i know how you feel sweetie,kfc,sonic,mcondalds used to be my fav restuarnts errr makes me so mad!

Just say no... new
      #178142 - 05/11/05 05:28 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

The fat alone isn't worth it. I mean you have to dig hard on their menu to come up with something that isn't deep fat fried. Then remember our fat percentage is way lower than their standard. When I first started out - I thought I would try some chicken at one place -- just the chicken -- which was "supposed" to be breast meat. I did get sick from it. It just isn't worth it. At least not to me.

#178146 - 05/11/05 05:46 AM
Canada25

Reged: 05/10/05
Loc: canada

Saw that you're from canada wondering if you know of tastyu dairy free products. I asked for my chicken or turkey sandwiches plain with honey mustard

Re: IBS is different for all, new
      #178457 - 05/12/05 07:11 AM
Kemi

it sucks that ibs is different for everyone!i did relley well on the subway chicken sub and the turkey im usally ok with.eating fast food isant wroth the pain though!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 546 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2356

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review