All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Just a thought... new
      #178671 - 05/12/05 09:47 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I know when I go for really long walks in the heat, I notice my fingers bloat right up to the point I can't take my wedding ring off.

I wonder if it's got anything to do with your salt intake? Maybe your body isn't getting rid of that extra mineral properly and that's why you're bloating at those specific times? What do you think?

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What if Fennel doesn't work? new
      #178699 - 05/13/05 06:20 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Fennel is especially helpful for bloating, but I find peppermint a close second. In fact, I prefer peppermint. You need to drink more than one cup a day, though. Peppermint tea tastes good iced, too. Nice for summer.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Question for Michele new
      #178726 - 05/13/05 07:04 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I know you said the Miralax gave you some bloat and gas in the beginning, but then went away. But it seems like you still have major bloat and gas everyday.

So, I'm confused. Don't you think your Miralax is the cause of your chronic, daily bloat, gas, and pain? I know it helps your C, but don't you think it is causing your other problems to be worse. It doesn't seem that the bloat and gas ever went away for you.

My doctor wants me to try the miralax, and I think I could handle the increased bloat and gas if it were temporary. But yours seems to have stayed. I alreade have horrid bloat and horrid, smelly gas Don't know if I could handle even more!

Re: fennel and peppermint new
      #178730 - 05/13/05 07:09 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Heather's teas are very cheap when you think of how long they last. The peppermint has lasted me for ages! And they are so pure and strong. There is a bagged tea at the store that is as good but way more pricey- although very convenient. It is Traditional Medicinals Eater's Digest. This tea is very effective and can be purchased at stores in the health section.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Question for Michele-bump new
      #178755 - 05/13/05 08:30 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Re: extreme bloating new
      #178756 - 05/13/05 08:35 AM
Maria504

Reged: 05/13/05
Loc: North East

Hello,

I'm new here but I wanted to give you the best piece of advice I have ever ever gotten. If you are not a very strict vegan, try a mug of warm/ hot water and a few teaspoons of honey mixed in. It relieves bloating and contsipation for me like nothing else (although I'm mostly IBS-D)It works within about 30 minutes. I read this in a magazine and have been using when needed ever since. Hope it helps!
Maria

--------------------
My degree in Culinary Nutrition sure is comming in handy!

Re: Question for Michele new
      #178757 - 05/13/05 08:38 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I had thought the Miralax was making the gas and bloat worse about a year ago and stopped it completley a couple of times. Each time, the C would be so terible, no matter what I ate. I went 3 months without it once and it was the worst three months of my life! The gas and bloating never improved over what it is now. When I started taking it again, the gas more then the bloat was a little worse for about 1.5 weeks, I think that was because it was getting everything out!

When I get a really bad pain attack, I'll switch from miralax to Zelnorm for a week or two and the bloating and gas don't improve either. The Zelnorm gives me terrible D for a day or two but sometimes helps a little with the pain and spasms but it stops working in a very short period of time, usually a week or two, so I go back to the miralax.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: extreme bloating new
      #178763 - 05/13/05 09:02 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

I've heard that honey is a gentle laxative.

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2251 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17823

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review