All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
My son's worse - acacia? syrup? peppers?
      #177581 - 05/09/05 06:39 AM
zebras

Reged: 04/15/05
Loc: Vermont

My 10-year-old son Zane has been doing much better generally on Heather's diet. He has his ups and downs, but he has been in school most of the time and his pain is much more manageable. However, yesterday before lunch he got much worse (and is still quite bad this morning). I'm looking for opinions about what might have caused this relapse. Here are my hunches:

1. He switched from citrucel to acacia 3 days ago. He is taking 1/2 tsp twice a day. I really don't want this to be the culprit, because it's so easy to take! He likes it so much more than the citrucel.

2. Yellow bell peppers. He begged 1 raw slice off of my plate the day before yesterday (24 hours before his relapse), and I let him have it because he had already eaten a bunch of SF. For dinner he had pasta with scallops and cooked bell peppers, plus toast and avocado.

3. Pure maple syrup. I did a search on the boards; most people seemed to think it was safe, some thought that the fructose could be an issue. I looked all the way back on the food/symptom diary we have been keeping for 2+ weeks now, and I noticed a possible pattern where he worsens after having syrup for breakfast, either later that day or the next morning.

Any thoughts??? We are still learning about how to manage this with diet. I bought both Heather's books but still have lots to learn!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

SUPER MOM!!!!!!!!!!!!! new
      #177589 - 05/09/05 07:21 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Your son is mighty fortunate to have you for a mom *big hugs*

I say no more maple syrup. Try rice syrup perhaps? How does he do with fruit in general?

Peppers CAN do that too but I would start with the syrup since it sounds like you already know it's a problem.

Good for you keeping the jounral and being such a super mommy! WOW! i'm def impressed!

Take care and your son too...

Lots of love, Ruch

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: SUPER MOM!!!!!!!!!!!!! new
      #177590 - 05/09/05 07:28 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I second Ruchie! I hope your son is feeling better!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: SUPER MOM!!!!!!!!!!!!! new
      #177816 - 05/09/05 06:55 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

And I third all that, definitely... it sounds like the syrup is your culprit (although I will add that even cooked peppers just kill me, so they'll be one to watch as well if his problems continue). Hope he's feeling better!

Re: My son's worse - acacia? syrup? peppers? new
      #177854 - 05/09/05 08:59 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

If it does turn out to be the syrup (or, to test to see if it is) try replacing the syrup with brown sugar or confectioner's sugar. I used to always eat my french toast with confectioner's sugar instead of syrup...mmmm! I've really been missing that, but I think this weekend I'm going to make the french toast recipe in Heather's book. I'm so excited, I thought I'd never been able to have it again.

Also, I'm sure you have (you SUPER MOM, you), but it might be worth double-checking the ingredients in whatever it is that he is always putting the syrup on.

A million thanks for being the kind of mom ever kid needs.

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

Re: My son's worse - acacia? syrup? peppers? new
      #177932 - 05/10/05 07:44 AM
zebras

Reged: 04/15/05
Loc: Vermont

Thanks everybody for your support, suggestions, and pats on the back.

Zane seems OK with fruit, but he's not stable (his pain is up and down and basically always present to some degree) so it's hard to tell yet. He's been having banana in smoothies, canned pears, and cider once in a while -- that's about it. The waffles, french toast, etc. should be safe, made with Egg Beaters and soy milk.

Unfortunately he's not better yet. Yesterday he stayed home from school all day, this morning I dropped him off in tears. I don't feel much like a super mom just now -- quite the opposite.

I hate to suspect the acacia because it disappears into things so perfectly, but I'm thinking about stopping it for a few days. It's been 48 hours since he had syrup, and eating syrup before, while we may have seen some worsening symptoms afterwards, they were not as bad or as long-lasting as what we are seeing now.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4817 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2894

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review