All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Seasonal IBS??
      #177553 - 05/08/05 09:17 PM
SarahB

Reged: 03/18/03
Loc: Cortland, New York

This may sound strange but I thought I would run this buy you guys. My doctors have told me over and over that I probably have IBS. The only reason I am not sure is that from about September to February I can eat anything. I still don't have dairy but I can eat fast food or red meat. I have never heard of IBS being seasonal but I can't explain with March - August I feel terrible.

I also have Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Panic Disorder which always peaks March - August so the only thing I can think of is that is what is trigering my IBS. But why wouldn't food be a trigger during the winter months?

I hope you can understand what I am trying to say. Does anybody have any ideas?

Sarah

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

IBS and those new
      #177555 - 05/08/05 09:31 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

disorders are very closely linked. there is a brain gut connection that is just beginning to be understood, but I can tell you I have no brain disorders and my IBS is often triggered by stress. It's also most strongly triggered by stress.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: IBS and those new
      #177563 - 05/08/05 10:15 PM
freeda

Reged: 05/08/05
Loc: SW Michigan

I agree that the stress trigger is probably #1 for you. It is for me too. My IBS was kind of "here and there" all my life, and not a big deal, until my husband went to Iraq twice, then it went NUTS.

--------------------
Knowledge is power.

two things... new
      #177569 - 05/09/05 04:03 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

a) stress is a trigger and when your other disorders are acting up you are under more stress....

b) allergies throw your body out of whack and that can be a trigger... allergy season starting threw me off the bandwagon of being stable sorta.. I've been able to control things, but its much harder then it was all winter!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

Re: Seasonal IBS?? new
      #177620 - 05/09/05 08:17 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I find that my IBS tends to follow cycles like this too: I am much better in the spring and summer and it's always worse during the winter.

I'm not quite sure why - there are some obvious reasons like the fact that I'm in university and the summer is simply less stressful for me than the fall and winter - but I think it's more than that too. I think I'm particularly sensitive to the seasons - winter simply makes me cold and depressed and it probably doesn't do a lot for my sense of health and vitality.

Not a very scientific answer but that's how I feel my body works

Re: two things... new
      #177661 - 05/09/05 10:12 AM
heather robin

Reged: 04/22/04
Loc: S.E. Pennsylvania

I second the allergy point. How are you with the heat of the spring and summer months?

--------------------
IBS-D

Re: Seasonal IBS?? new
      #177675 - 05/09/05 11:01 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

My IBS has always been its worst between February and July. I brought this up on the board a few months ago, and Heather's hypothesis was that it was a humidity thing. (My allergies only get bad in August and September.)

This year, fortunately, I've only had one attack and that was after 3 months of stress! My diet's been pretty stable for over 3 years now, so I can only attribute my lack of attacks to the hypnotherapy program.

Oh, and I'm also careful to get enough liquids *and* salt as the temperatures go up. One way I've deranged my innards in the past is to not drink enough once it's too warm for tea...and not getting enough salt to keep my body in balance. Thank goodness pickles are IBS-safe!

--AC

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2261 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3978

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review