Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Zelnorm
      #177459 - 05/08/05 02:01 PM
kateL

Reged: 12/14/04
Loc: Camano Island, WA

Hi,
I've been reading all the recent talk of zelnorm and I am wondering a few things. I went to a new GI doc as I said previously and he started me on Zelnorm. I have more or a motility problem it seems. I do not get constipated in the sense of hard BMs but I just don't go. At other times I can't stop. Colonoscopy revealed I have a tortuous redundant colon which can be caused by constipation, laxitive use or just being born that way. I am not sure what my cause is but he said that the contractions of the colon can get screwed up and not really do anything productive. So I started zelnorm and a SFS and I have had a 100% improvement with symptoms. I keep reading about the zelnorm not working for very long and I am wondering if anyone does have a better response to Zelnorm? I cannot take miralax because it makes me have gas and bloating. Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Zelnorm new
      #177468 - 05/08/05 02:54 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

What is a tortuous redundant colon? Sounds awful - but like something we all have, ha. Sorry, haven't tried Zelnorm, but was curious about "tortuous redundant." Tortutous is right!

#177469 - 05/08/05 03:11 PM
bdcanfield

Reged: 03/02/05
Loc: Carlisle, Pa USA

My doctor thinks that I have post-infection IBS and also gastro dyspesia but he is not sure if I can true IBS or not, since I don't really have the D but instead awful cramps and constipation. I have been taking Zelnorm since MArch 3 and I have switched to the IBS diet and I am 75% better at least!!! However I still afraid to test out new foods (or rather NORMAL foods) because I am a college student and it is FINALS!!! But so far I have had great success with Zelnorm -- in fact I didn't take it for a day and was sick by 7pm!

--------------------
Smile and the world smiles back

#177603 - 05/09/05 07:58 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Just an FYI, miralax CAN cause some extra bloating and gas in the first couple of weeks but most people see those side effects going away with in 2-3 weeks! Did you give it enough time for your body to adjust?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#177614 - 05/09/05 08:09 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

The stuff did nothing for me. No medicine I ever took for IBS has ever helped me actually! Only diet and my tailored version of Heather's Diet and going GF has helped me. And supplements as well.

While the zelnorm works ENJOY IT! There is research suggesting that it is NOT a lon-term drug. This is what
I would do:

I would stick with Heather's diet, keep a food journal, and take good care ofyourself. That way IF the zelnorm stops woring you're prepared!

HTH

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#177750 - 05/09/05 02:04 PM
kateL

No I wimped out after a day of the gas and bloat. I guess I need to be more patient and not look for the easy fix. Maybe while on the zelnorm would be a good time to try it again?

Def go for it! n-t new
      #177751 - 05/09/05 02:06 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#177754 - 05/09/05 02:11 PM
kateL

Does sound bad doesn't it? When I had the colonoscopy before I saw the report the doc termed it by saying I had 50% more colon than I need. I guess he didn't think it was funny when I asked him if he knew anyone that needed some colon. Anyhow I was somewhat unfamiliar with the term and when I did some research I found that redundant means it repeats or is extra long and the tortuous part just means it twists and turns alot like a roller coaster. Then upon futher reading I found that after time of altered bowel function the lumen or diameter of the bowel can become more narrow which explains thin stools. Lovely huh? Anyhow my new doc said to give the SFS another try with the help of the zelnorm to see if I can get a normal response. He said that it is not a lost cause and be optimistic.

#177759 - 05/09/05 02:20 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Some people would find the combo of Zelnorm and miralax too much. If the Zelnorm is working, stay with that. If you build up a tolerance to it and it doesn't work anymore than definetly give the miralax another try!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2140 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5354

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review