Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
FLAX...non bloating natural food laxative
      #177457 - 05/08/05 01:40 PM
salmonloaf

Reged: 05/08/05
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

Hey all you IBSers,
As most of you know we are all trying to find things to make our lives easier and more comfortable as IBS sufferers. I have been consulting with a naturopath MD for about 1 year of the 2 years I have had IBS. Suffering mostly from IBS-D and sometimes IBS-A, I have worked hard to find something that will help regulate me, but not make me bloated.

As recommended by my MD, I have been using flax as a bowel regulator for both constipation and diarrehea. Here's how it works. Buy whole flaxseed at the health food store. Place 2 tablsp. of whole flax seeds in a coffee grinder(exclusively for flax...no coffee please) grind to a fine powder, mix with 8oz H20 and drink. I have done this at least one daily and intially twice daily with great success. The greatest benefit for me is no bloating as I have had in past with Metamucil etc.

Please keep whole flax seeds in freezer as they can go rancid quickly. Also, it is important that the flax seeds are ground fresh each time so that the oils are released. Only pre-grind if you won't be able to grind seeds daily like when you travel etc.
Hope this helps some of you. Also please experiment with the # of tabls. and how many times a day taken..it will vary greatly for each individual.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: FLAX...a trigger for some new
      #177476 - 05/08/05 04:17 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

Hey all you IBSers,
As most of you know we are all trying to find things to make our lives easier and more comfortable as IBS sufferers. I have been consulting with a naturopath MD for about 1 year of the 2 years I have had IBS. Suffering mostly from IBS-D and sometimes IBS-A, I have worked hard to find something that will help regulate me, but not make me bloated.

As recommended by my MD, I have been using flax as a bowel regulator for both constipation and diarrehea. Here's how it works. Buy whole flaxseed at the health food store. Place 2 tablsp. of whole flax seeds in a coffee grinder(exclusively for flax...no coffee please) grind to a fine powder, mix with 8oz H20 and drink. I have done this at least one daily and intially twice daily with great success. The greatest benefit for me is no bloating as I have had in past with Metamucil etc.

Please keep whole flax seeds in freezer as they can go rancid quickly. Also, it is important that the flax seeds are ground fresh each time so that the oils are released. Only pre-grind if you won't be able to grind seeds daily like when you travel etc.
Hope this helps some of you. Also please experiment with the # of tabls. and how many times a day taken..it will vary greatly for each individual.

We are glad that flax has been of help to you however I must point out that it is a trigger for many people because it is extremely high in fat (even though, I know, I know, it is the good Omega 3 kind) and has a high insoluble to soluble fiber ratio. It is 2/3 insoluble fiber. Unless someone is extremely stable I would not recommend trying it, and even then in very small doses added to a high soluble food base. Kandee

--------------------

#177487 - 05/08/05 05:10 PM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Have to say I agree with Kandee about this - I used to use flax, just as you suggest, when I first started getting IBS, but within a couple of months it was out of the question, causing painful explosive D. If it is working for you, that is great and long may it continue, but I think for most IBS people it is better avoided or handled with caution.

If anyone really wants to try using flaxseed, it might make it safer to use some ground meal in a safe recipe, eg muffins or banana bread, but I haven't tried doing that - it's just an idea.

Josephine

FLAX is a God-send for me!~nt~ new
      #177643 - 05/09/05 08:56 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Helps me too new
      #177650 - 05/09/05 09:07 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

The kind I get only has 2.5 or 3 grams fat per 2 Tablespoons. It is made by Natures Life and is a powder, so no rough seeds! So, if you even just take 1 tablespoon it's only 1.5 grams fat and 3 grams of fiber, with no bloat!

#179052 - 05/14/05 08:13 PM
hanaleni

Reged: 04/27/05

I just discovered Flax - for breads/muffins etc and was actually doing a search for Fennel tea and how to make it when I got this idea Has anyone ever tried adding the used fennel seeds in the flax drink or in muffins? After drinking the tea would it further benefit to consume the seeds. After all, chewing fennel seeds is supposed to freshen breath. As an IBS C, I thought one could kill two birds with one stone - flatulence/ bloating and constipation. Is that three birds :-)

Re: Fennel new
      #179146 - 05/15/05 01:52 PM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

I haven't tried this but I know you can put fennel seeds in bread and cookies. Not sure how much benefit you would get from baking with 'secondhand' seeds though - might be better to use fresh ones ... Personally I am a bit sensitive to seeds so probably wouldn't do it myself, but I'd be interested to know if anyone does try it.

Josephine

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2354 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1832

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review