All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Found a new white bread, wondered if it was safe??
      #177308 - 05/07/05 03:19 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

Before I post anything about how good this bread it, I'd like opinions. It's Sara Lee Delightful White. I know "wonder white" is not a good choice to eat, but I didn't not see any milk products in the ingredients and it has 4gm of fiber per 2 slices, 1 gm of fat per 2 slices, and 90 calories per 2 slices. If anyone finds this bread and double checks the ingredients and could let me know if it would be a safe bread, I would appreciate it.

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sara Lee new
      #177315 - 05/07/05 04:00 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

It is good....*so* good....

That said however, I decided to stop eating for a while, because although it is milk-free, it has both high-fructose corn syrup, and sucralose.

I just love Sara Lee Bakery products...unfortunatly, the only thing I have found so far that is safe is the Plain Bagels. But my gosh are they good too! Good just out of the package, good to make mini-"pizzas"; I even use them for desert with Toffuti Cream Cheese and a bit of baby food fruits (like Mango) on top. Mmmmm!

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

#177321 - 05/07/05 04:15 PM
notadocter

Reged: 04/26/05

I too am curious if a few bread items are safe to take.
I have been eating Vermont Bread Company Soft White Bread.
This bread lists unbleached wheat flour, water, canola oil, barley malt, potatoe flour, honey, culutered wheat starch, dry sour (rye, flour, lactic acid, vinegar, yeast) salt, yeast, soy lecithin, malted barley flour, and soy flour.
It does not say it had dairy or high fructose corn syrup, is this safe to eat?

What about Shaw's plain bagels and everything bagels?
For the everything bagels the ingredients are unbromated unbleached enriched wheat flour (malted barley flour, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate (vitamin B1), folic acid) water, dehydrated onion, dehydrated garlic, seasome seeds, poppy seeds, yellow cornmeal, salt and yeast, vegetable mono and diglycerides, malt, calcium propionate, guar gum, cellulose gum, datem, dextrose, soybeanoil, azodicarbonamide.

The plain bagel has similar ingedients, all have low fat, are they ok to have and take.

#177330 - 05/07/05 05:36 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Those look ok to me. But as I said before in a post - experiment for yourself!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

#177331 - 05/07/05 05:37 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

It has sucralose in there? Somehow I didn't see that one!

Still, it hasn't been bothering my tummy too much to eat it, so I'll probably continue to do so unless I find a better substitute.

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

#177358 - 05/07/05 07:55 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Quote:

I too am curious if a few bread items are safe to take.
I have been eating Vermont Bread Company Soft White Bread.
This bread lists unbleached wheat flour, water, canola oil, barley malt, potatoe flour, honey, culutered wheat starch, dry sour (rye, flour, lactic acid, vinegar, yeast) salt, yeast, soy lecithin, malted barley flour, and soy flour.
It does not say it had dairy or high fructose corn syrup, is this safe to eat?
Of course. There are no triggers present.
What about Shaw's plain bagels and everything bagels?
For the everything bagels the ingredients are unbromated unbleached enriched wheat flour (malted barley flour, reduced iron, thiamin mononitrate (vitamin B1), folic acid) water, dehydrated onion, dehydrated garlic, seasome seeds, poppy seeds, yellow cornmeal, salt and yeast, vegetable mono and diglycerides, malt, calcium propionate, guar gum, cellulose gum, datem, dextrose, soybeanoil, azodicarbonamide. It does have some strange sounding ingredients...but I think the seeds and dried garlic could possibly bother some people who are sensitive to things like that. Plain would be safer. Make sure the fat is under 20%.

The plain bagel has similar ingedients, all have low fat, are they ok to have and take.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#177370 - 05/07/05 10:22 PM
AlyssaKaye

Yup:

INGREDIENTS: Water, Enriched Flour, Cottonseed Fiber, Wheat Gluten, High Fructose Corn Syrup , Wheat Protein Isolate, Cornstarch. Contains 2% or less of each of the following: Yeast, Salt, Calcium Propionate (preservative), yeast nutrients (Monocalcium Phosphate, Calcium Sulfate, Ammonium Sulfate), Natural Flavor, Dough Conditioners (May Contain One or More of the Following: Mono- and Diglycerides, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Calcium Peroxide), Soybean Oil, Sucralose , Guar Gum.

It's really quite a shame, as a love it! I might try it again, once I get more stable. I've never noticed any problems directly related to it, but I can't seem to get stable either, so I'm trying to keep very strict for now. Hopefully I can add somethings back in, once I'm well enough to tell exactly what it is that I am able to tolerate, and what exactly "my" triggers are.

--------------------

So just out of curiosity.... new
      #177433 - 05/08/05 10:23 AM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

does anyone know why lactic acid is safe but asll other dairy derivatives aren't?

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: So just out of curiosity.... new
      #177448 - 05/08/05 12:21 PM
AlyssaKaye

The Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network lists the following as safe, even for people with life threatening milk allergies.

Calcium lactate
Lactic acid (however, lactic acid starter culture may contain milk)
Calcium stearoyl lactylate
Oleoresin
Cocoa butter
Sodium lactate
Cream of tartar
Sodium stearoyl lactylate

Granted, some are high fat, so not neccessarily "safe", but all are definitely dairy-free.

So far as lactic acid goes, it is my understanding that it is produced either by chemical synthesis or from bacterial fermentation of a carbohydrate such as corn sugar. So, actually no milk at all.

--------------------

#177530 - 05/08/05 08:08 PM
notadocter

It is such a pain in the you know what buying bread, especially buns. If I didn't know better I would say all the buns are made with high fructose corn syrup, why do all they have use that ingredient.

#177538 - 05/08/05 08:33 PM
AlyssaKaye

I definitely agree with you.

Last week I spent 3 hours reading labels at Walmart, and never did find a sliced loaf of bread I could eat. Walmart just doesn't carry any of the "natural"/ "pure" type breads that might work for us, I guess. Next weekend I am taking a trip into the city to shop though, hopefully I can stock up then.

Well, so far as why they use it...my guess is that it is cheap, sweetens well, and stays stable/ has a long shelf life. I don't know that to be entirely true...but it sure seems like that's how the business world works. Always what's best for the bottom line...

--------------------

#177561 - 05/08/05 10:06 PM
notadocter

If you know any stores which would sell bread and buns that are good to have I'd like to know which they are.

agriculture lobby new
      #177572 - 05/09/05 04:52 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Our farmers produce corn, the farmers' congressmen get all kinds of stuff passed making the agriculture industry more profitable, and it ends up cheaper for American companies to buy American HFCS than foreign sugar. Other countries don't use HFCS even close to as much as we do. So, that's my theory. Besides being crappy for IBS, I've also heard that it REALLY screws with your metabolism, and is a big factor in childhood obesity (more than it's actual calorie value).

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Re: agriculture lobby new
      #177780 - 05/09/05 04:01 PM
AlyssaKaye

Makes perfect sense to me...

Everything comes back to politics, doesn't it?

--------------------

HFCS new
      #177803 - 05/09/05 05:57 PM
Little Minnie

I know this guy who buys his coke at Mexican shops because he says he can taste the sugar vs. corn syrup in our American pop. He does not have IBS- just thinks himself a gourmand. It is nice to go to Europe and not worry about HFCS.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

breads new
      #177804 - 05/09/05 06:05 PM
Little Minnie

It is hard to find normal, cheap brands that don't have HFCS and so many brands are local. In my area there is a bakery brand in the stores called New French Bakery. They make breads, baguettes and rolls that are safe. This same sort of thing might be elsewhere with different names or a person might have to buy bread at a real bakery. It takes some searching around. At least bread freezes well when you do find a safe brand- you can stock up.

--------------------

Re: HFCS new
      #177811 - 05/09/05 06:23 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

I know this guy who buys his coke at Mexican shops because he says he can taste the sugar vs. corn syrup in our American pop. He does not have IBS- just thinks himself a gourmand. It is nice to go to Europe and not worry about HFCS.

Ahh, so true..I can sometimes drink a little soda made in Mexico without a problem. I can even do root beers (all root beer is caffeine free) that are made in the states with sugar and not HFCS. Boylans right now is my favorite...at the end of a high soluble food meal of course. That and jams that come from Europe made with sugar and NOT HFCS help keep me happy and stable. Kandee

--------------------

Freezing bread new
      #177859 - 05/09/05 09:07 PM
AlyssaKaye

Ok...chalk this one up as an absolutely ridiculous question...but...

How do you freeze bread?

I must be doing something wrong, as mine always tasts "like it has been frozen". Maybe I'm defrosting wrong? I've been wrapping banana bread and things in aluminum, and other things (sourdough and such) in plastic freezer bags. Is that the problem?

How long can you keep bread in the freezer? Do you freeze it right when you get it, or wait a few days?

Sorry for the silly questions, but I just feel like I'm really missings something simple on this one...

--------------------

Re: Freezing bread new
      #177891 - 05/10/05 03:26 AM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

There's no such thing as a silly question!
I find that bread will never taste the same after being frozen but its good if after it defrosts you toast or warm it (only that bit that's for immediate consumption though)

It depends on your freezer how long you can keep it...its good in mine for three months.

I freeze in aluminium foil and plastic bags too so I don't so that as the problem..

--------------------
S.

#177944 - 05/10/05 08:19 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I've frozen Heather's Zucchini Bread and her Pumpkin Apple Spice Bread with excellent results. Since there are only 2 of us in the house, I freeze them in half-load portions. I wrap each half-loaf in waxed paper, then in aluminum foil, then place it in a plastic bag. (I feel guilty about the plastic bag, so I save it to reuse the next time I bake bread.)

When I'm ready to eat a loaf, I take it out of the freezer and put it in the refrigerator, still triple-packaged, where it stays until I finish it. The flavor is very good and the only change I've noticed is that the apples in the Pumpkin Apple Spice Bread are a little softer.

I haven't made banana bread, but I would think the same technique would work for that, too.

White breads, like baguettes, I wrap in aluminum foil, then put in a plastic bag. Those I only eat after heating or toasting, which I think somehow "puts back" the flavor - or at least disguises that "I've been frozen" taste.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#178024 - 05/10/05 02:00 PM
Little Minnie

Baked breads like banana and all that I find get kind of gooey on the outside when frozen but are still good. But for sliced bread or just regular bread, I throw it as is in the freezer and take it out and defrost on the counter or whatever. I usually toast my sliced bread so maybe untoasted it tastes different. Otherwise I think freezing sliced normal bread is the easiest thing in the world!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 526 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3074

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review