All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Pantihose
      #177168 - 05/06/05 02:12 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

This doesn't have to do with food, but I don't know where else to post it, since it is IBS related.

Does anyone else have trouble wearing pantihose?? I used to be able to, but now they're just too tight around the middle and bother my tummy. I even tried buying ones that were too big and weren't control-top, and they're still just too constricting to my tummy! Sometimes you just really need to wear them, though. Has anyone found anything that works well for them?

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Pantihose new
      #177170 - 05/06/05 02:13 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Garter and Stockings! I haven't been able to wear pantihose in years!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#177171 - 05/06/05 02:14 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Yeah stockings...or holdups if they work for you (my legs are the wrong shape ). Pantihose are killers...sometimes I put up with it but I always rip them off asap! But then I go bare legged ALOT.

#177175 - 05/06/05 02:19 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I second that! I can't use thigh-highs, the elastics never stay up on my legs... but a garter belt that sits on the hip and stockings works just fine!

#177179 - 05/06/05 02:25 PM
Lyndsey

Reged: 02/16/05
Loc: Bay Area, CA

i've always had a problem with pants tight on my tummy or pantihose...i get cramps and alot of lower back pain and tummy pain, and i start feeling nasaous...i totally forgot about that until i just read that! i only wear hip huggers and if it's dress up i wear slacks and sneekers (haha...)

#177186 - 05/06/05 03:06 PM
happybex

Reged: 05/06/05

I've found that COTTON tights (containing NO lycra) are comfy. Just get 1-2 sizes bigger than the back of the pkg recommends. AND- they are pretty thick so not only can you get away with a no shave day but are also good for mildly chilly days. Kinda hard to find them at stores in the summer but you can find a good variety on the web.
-Beck

#177192 - 05/06/05 03:54 PM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

I had to start wearing firm support hose three years ago because I was high risk for DVT - sometimes I wore the special socks underneath too - but, oh, how I looked forward to the end of each day when I could pull them off! It's always a special treat to have a day when I can wear a long dress and sandals and NO TIGHTS!

Josephine

#177201 - 05/06/05 04:41 PM
Kree

Reged: 10/08/03
Loc: Northern NY

Thigh-highs... I've never tried those! Now if those would stay up on my legs that would be perfect. I'll have to give those a try. I'll also try to get a good garter and try that out. Thanks a bunch ladies.

--------------------
"Anyone can exercise, but this kind of lethargy takes real discipline." -Garfield

thigh highs new
      #177203 - 05/06/05 05:02 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Yes, with the good kind of sticky, elastic tops. Or knee highs with very long dresses, being careful the tops don't show because that is so nerdy.
I wear control top nylons in winter and sometimes have a lot of problems. Then from spring to fall it is bare legs, even with nice dresses. I work outside so I am tan enough.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#177251 - 05/07/05 04:37 AM
momof2

Reged: 07/27/04
Loc: Belgium, but soon to be Maryland

I thought I was the only one with the pantyhose issue! They are especially bad if I have to sit a lot. I think they constrict and not let gas move around so I start to bloat really bad...and I normally don't bloat. I'll try some of the suggestions posted here (like thigh highs).

--------------------
*Karyn* IBS D

low-rise by HUE new
      #177264 - 05/07/05 08:03 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I found low-rise pantyhose made by a brand called Hue. They have great colors, varieties, etc. I got them at Macy's. They sit way lower and are much more comfy.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Thank god for thigh highs new
      #177278 - 05/07/05 09:29 AM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

Yes! I am so glad other people cannot tolerate pantyhose either. What a quirk, huh? I wear thigh highs, the ones that don't need a garter, but they usually only last two wearings before the elastic gives out.

I was at an underwear store at an outlet mall a while back and saw some thigh-highs that actually clipped to a pair of special panties. No garter belt needed.

I second the thigh-highs! new
      #177347 - 05/07/05 07:18 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

I like the "grip" kind also. I've never had a problem with them coming down. Very comfy!

#177456 - 05/08/05 01:39 PM
beacon1961

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Marlton, NJ

I just made this same connection this week. I was great all week and then 2 days this week I wore suits with skirts and by 4:00 both days had cramps and couldn't think of anything I ate. It wasn't stress and I have been working out. I was thinking it was the hose-I nevr could handle anything tight around my waist. In fact when I was pregnant I snipped the tops of the hose with scissors because they made me nuts. I guess they are just too constricting. what a pain!!!! I am going to try the garter belt thing-how retro!

Mary

--------------------
It only takes a few committed people to change the world!

#178093 - 05/10/05 07:40 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

LOL! I've been wondering the same thing! There are some days when nylons are not a good thing! I'll have to invest in a garter belt soon.

#178868 - 05/13/05 04:13 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

Dalia told me about some trick for cutting the tummy panel out of pantyhose, I can't remember it though but I am sure she will be along to fill you in.

I roll mine down off my tummy...low rise ones sound great though.

--------------------
S.

Thigh Highs Baby.... gripper stickers!! LOL new
      #178873 - 05/13/05 04:20 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Warning don't let the boys see... females models... lol really it is no different then a Sears catalog ....www.onehanesplace.com lots of goodies here!

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Re: Thigh Highs Baby.... gripper stickers!! LOL new
      #179397 - 05/16/05 02:32 PM
marija

Reged: 07/02/03
Loc: Highland Park, IL

Yep, hooray for the day I discovered thigh highs! Jockey are my favorite, but I like to try other more fru-fru brands for fun. A garter didn't work for me...the thigh highs kept pulling it down

#179472 - 05/16/05 08:20 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I slit mine in the front from the top to where the legs meet. It's the only way I can tolerate those horrible things.

#179574 - 05/17/05 10:34 AM
Kristine

Reged: 05/15/03
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

You can't believe how much this post makes me happy! I maybe wear pantyhose 2 or 3 times a year MAX, and I always get horrible cramping. I thought it was a tummy issue, but now I realize it's the pantyhose!! I had to wear them this past weekend, and sure enough, I felt horrible and was counting the minutes until I could peel them off.

What a relief to hear that I'm not losing my mind and a good reason to go without them!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1831 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2667

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review