All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Potatoe bread
      #176694 - 05/04/05 08:24 PM
notadocter

Reged: 04/26/05

I noticed a lot of the foods I eat are not on Heather's list, and wanted to know if this list is exclusive or if there are safe foods I can have that are not on it.
For example, I use for butter I can't believe it's not butter, not Earth Balance, is this bad?

What about potatoe bread, I did not see it.

I'd like to know, I have been to several stores, when I went I did not have this list to look off, but I would like to know if the foods are sold at normal grocery stores or not those.

I went to Whole Foods and could not find Soy Ice Cream.
If you know where I can find these products, please let me know where.
Also, how can a corn dog be something that I can eat, don't corn dogs like hot dogs contain lactose in them.
What about chocolate, doesn't that have caffeine and is something to not take.
I did not see Graham crackers, I thought they were a food we could eat additionally.
If I could have more breads that would be great as well.

Meat/Meat Subs/Fish/Tofu
Empire Turkey Breasts pre-packaged (fat free)
Fantastic Brand Taco Meat Replacement

Frozen Yogurt/Ice Cream/Sorbet
Rice Dream orange vanilla ice cream
Soy Delicious Non dairy ice cream (the chocolate taste like chocolate cake!)
Soy Dream Mocha Fudge
Tofutti Cuties
WholeSoy Frozen Cultured Soy (= frozen yogurt)
WholeSoy Glace

Bread/Pasta/Noodles/Rice
Country Hearth English Muffin toasting bread
Earthgrains Sourdough English Muffins
Rudi's Organic Bakery Country Morning White Bread
Soy Boy Tofu Filled Ravioli
Bell's Stuffing
J.J. Nissen Giant white bread

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Potatoe bread new
      #176710 - 05/04/05 11:05 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

With many foods (eg.corn dogs, Graham crackers, etc) you HAVE to check the labels as some brands are okay, some aren't and the darn companies change things sometimes!

Chocolate does contain caffeine and is high fat...it's something to keep as a small treat after SF when you're stable. I also find I do better with dark chocolate as there's no dairy. Cocoa however, is very low-fat...and the caffeine in chocolate in tied up to the fat so cocoa is safe...which is good as it means we can make our own brownies, etc!

Hopefully another american will come back to you on some of those brands! My only advice to to check all labels (or ask at bakeries, etc).

PS. Check I can't believe it's not butter...over here it contains (among other things) buttermilk, so dairy.

#176728 - 05/05/05 03:42 AM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

I Can't Believe it's Not Butter LIGHT is safe. The original variety is not. The trick is reading the labels carefully. I think the light spray is okay too, but check the label.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#176734 - 05/05/05 05:28 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

I use Smart Balance light and don't seem to have any problems with it. It can be purchased in regular grocery stores.

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

I use Smart Balance Light as well new
      #176735 - 05/05/05 05:29 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

It's a great alternative.

#176793 - 05/05/05 07:58 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Yep, I agree with Amanda, I use ICBINB Light and do fine with it.

Cheers!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#176904 - 05/05/05 02:06 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Quote:

I noticed a lot of the foods I eat are not on Heather's list, and wanted to know if this list is exclusive or if there are safe foods I can have that are not on it.
For example, I use for butter I can't believe it's not butter, not Earth Balance, is this bad? Get used to checking labels for dairy products. Both ICBINB light and spray have buttermilk, but many are not bothered. For starters though I would get Smart Balance. As mentioned it is at the grocery store and low in fat and cals and dairy free.

What about potatoe bread, I did not see it. It is quite fine IF you can find it without HFCS.

I'd like to know, I have been to several stores, when I went I did not have this list to look off, but I would like to know if the foods are sold at normal grocery stores or not those.

I went to Whole Foods and could not find Soy Ice Cream.
If you know where I can find these products, please let me know where. I have never been to Whole Foods. Grocery stores carry soy frozen products but many have dairy fractions or HFCS. I found a HFS that has excellent soy ice cream!!! but you might have to look around. Otherwise get sorbet at the store-Haagen Dazs or Edy's Mango. Both don't have HFCS.
Also, how can a corn dog be something that I can eat, don't corn dogs like hot dogs contain lactose in them. Don't know. Check the labels I guess. Make sure fat is low!
What about chocolate, doesn't that have caffeine and is something to not take. Like Linz said cocoa is perfectly safe. A lot of chocolately things are made from cocoa. The bad stuff is squeezed out.
I did not see Graham crackers, I thought they were a food we could eat additionally. Get grahams that are low in fat and have no HFCS. You have to check the brands.
If I could have more breads that would be great as well. Breads almost always have HFCS if they are regular national brands. The bakery at the store might carry yummy safe breads (pricier) or maybe the store brand is safe. Look for no dairy products and no HFCS and no Whole wheat.

Meat/Meat Subs/Fish/Tofu
Empire Turkey Breasts pre-packaged (fat free)
Fantastic Brand Taco Meat Replacement both sound fine

Frozen Yogurt/Ice Cream/Sorbet
Rice Dream orange vanilla ice cream
Soy Delicious Non dairy ice cream (the chocolate taste like chocolate cake!)
Soy Dream Mocha Fudge
Tofutti Cuties
WholeSoy Frozen Cultured Soy (= frozen yogurt)
WholeSoy Glace sounds ok. Some have dairy derivatives, but that might be doable.

Bread/Pasta/Noodles/Rice
Country Hearth English Muffin toasting bread Check carefully for HFCS. I think most english muffins have it. I get a store brand.
Earthgrains Sourdough English Muffins
Rudi's Organic Bakery Country Morning White Bread
Soy Boy Tofu Filled Ravioli
Bell's Stuffing
J.J. Nissen Giant white bread

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#176973 - 05/05/05 05:58 PM
notadocter

Does the light version not have buttermilk in it.

#177316 - 05/07/05 04:03 PM
notadocter

What about this butter, smart balance.
Is this safe, it says this does not have dairy or high fructose corn syrup, and it has 5 grams of fat, would this be something safe or is this too high in fat total?

I'd like to find out where I can find Soy Ice Cream, would Trader Joe's have this, because I did not see at the Stop and Shop I was in.

#177360 - 05/07/05 07:58 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

There was a recent thread about Smart Balance being safe and highly recommended! Not in vast quantities of course.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3120 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 993

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review