All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
how stop eating so much junk!
      #176595 - 05/04/05 01:11 PM
Kemi

Reged: 03/15/05
Loc: MO,USA

i get these relley bad cravings for junk food!since i couldnt have them before..its all im eating now,is rice krispys,choc and junk food!how do i start eating healthy!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: how stop eating so much junk! new
      #176598 - 05/04/05 01:18 PM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

Quit it all cold turkey! Or let yourself eat only one or two junk foods that aren't that bad.

What really helped me was planning out my meals the night before. What also helps is when I am at work, what I brought is all I get to eat. And if you plan your small meals/snacks so that you can have one every couple of hours, you barely have time to even THINK about eating junk, cause you are never hungry.
Try eating healthy foods that you love, or finding new ones! I wa sa junk food junkie before going on the IBS diet, just becauase I didn't know how good healthy stuff tasted!
Try making some smoothies with soymilk and strawberries and bananas...
try different fruits that you may not have before. Last year was the first time I tried a mango, now it is my favorite food ever!
Once you get away from junk food long enough, it stops tasting as good. Now if I eat really processed snack foods or sugary foods I go "Ack, my memory of that is better than how it tastes!"
learn some cooking techniques, make all of your healthy snacks/meals good and you will never think about your oreos again

--------------------
-Sheri

Hi Kemi new
      #176609 - 05/04/05 01:38 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

I agree with Sheri, once you give up junk food you'll crave it WAY less.
When I was in England last year, I got SO SICK. I couldn't eat _anything_ so I never, ever had junk food. After a while, I noticed that I didn't even want it. I craved foods that would fill me up or actual meals, but I didn't crave the sugary salty stuff anymore.

I do what Sheri said and bring all my food for the day to work with me, and some money to buy a sandwich and soup or something at a cafe down the road that has no junk food. That way, even if I want something it's like, "Too bad!" and you end up eating healthy stuff instead. And she was SO RIGHT about the fruit thing. I eat those little Dole diced peaches and they are so sweet and so good, I crave them now ALL the time! I look forward to them all day, rather than so much bad food.

Keeping a food journal might help too. If you have to write down everything you eat, sometimes we are more likely to avoid the bad food so that we don't have to admit it by writing it down.

If you are craving sugar badly, eat something else. If after that, you still crave it than try and have something that isn't too bad for you. Rice crispy squares, for example, would be way better than eating a buncha ice cream or cookies or something. Or try baking the Peppermint Fudge cake or something so that if do want to give in to the craving, you'll have something sweet but SAFE nearby that isn't too bad for you.

Good luck!!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#176629 - 05/04/05 02:08 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Don't buy junk. Eating junk is an addiction. Make eating healthfully your new addiction. Remove the junk from your home. Eat real food, versus products/gimmicky foods. Uh, cook?

#176661 - 05/04/05 06:37 PM
Kemi

LOL..!i got rid of da oreos!im going to start eating more fruits and vegies and stay away from the junk i would rather eat healthy and feel better then eat junk that makes me feel sick and go threw another ibs attack.!

YOu are so right, Kemi! new
      #176767 - 05/05/05 07:05 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

It comes down to, would I rather have a second of pleasure from eating cookies, and have a couple DAYS of pain/d/c/whatever.... or would I rather eat foods my body will love and I will be able to have a high quality of life?
My ex has IBS (before I did) and would sabotage himself by eating foods that would put him on the potty EVERY day. He is gonna spend half his life in the bathroom cause he can't stop himself from indulging. I would never ever want to live liek that if I didn't have to! Finding Heather's diet gave me a new chance at life.

--------------------
-Sheri

#176780 - 05/05/05 07:44 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Yep I gave up junk food in pretty much the same fashion: not buying it in the first place so it wasn't in the house to tempt me and having a little bit of sweet fruit after each meal to calm my sugar cravings. Now I crave fruit all the time - but hey, that's a good thing! Really, it doesn't take long for you to *stop* craving junk food once you've given it up. Your body just kind of realizes how much happier it is without it!

Good luck!

Re: Reduce sugar cravings with sweet fruit new
      #176843 - 05/05/05 09:55 AM
Wind

Do you have any safe sweet fruit in the house? Replace the juck with Nature's candy, as Retrograde recommended. Think,
mangoes? Papaya? Bananas? Applesauce? Think rainbow! There must be some safe fruit that you can consume to satisfy a sweet tooth? Make a smoothie? A sorbet? Nothing is yummier, to me than payaya puree!

#176857 - 05/05/05 11:27 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

I still crave sweets/junk food but all I have to do is think long and hard about how it is going to make me feel a day or two later and that craving quickly disappears. I mean don't get me wrong- I do eat things I shouldn't once in a while (not often though) but I pay for it. And it just isn't worth it to feel crappy for two or three days.

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

#176864 - 05/05/05 11:56 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Do you really mean ALL you're eating now is RKs, choc and junk food? Because I think it would help you to have some protein along with your carbs, you might find you get fewer cravings. But only safe protein - white chicken, fish and seafood, tofu and beans if you are okay with them ... Hope you find a way to get over this, cravings can be torture!

Josephine

#176871 - 05/05/05 12:27 PM
Wind

How is your mood? Are you suffering from depression? Someone eating all that kind of junk may have a depression issue playing out through food. Does all that sugar/junk give you a quick little high that makes you go back for more of it? Just curious. If so, you may have problems with your serotonin levels. People with depression/mood problems tend to eat a lot of high carb/high SUGAR/processed/junk.

Re: Kemi, Way to GO!--n.t. new
      #176872 - 05/05/05 12:27 PM
Wind

papaya puree... new
      #176881 - 05/05/05 12:53 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

How can yo make this? Do you need a blnder? You guys are making me hungrrrryyyyy!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

seratonin levels new
      #176883 - 05/05/05 12:54 PM
Snow for Sarala

5HTP regulates seratonin, right? I always get seratonin and melatonin confused

Thanks Kate *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: YOu are so right, Kemi! new
      #176887 - 05/05/05 01:05 PM
Kemi

heathers new diet helped me alot also!!i dont know what i would do without it!

...and mango popsicles too! new
      #176897 - 05/05/05 01:44 PM
retrograde

I'm pretty sure you could just do it in a food processor or blender.

I was at the home of a good friend of mine last night and she served me MANGO POPSICLES. They were so good! Basically it was just mango puree (I asked, she did it in her food processor but was sure a blender would work too) frozen in popsicle molds - so sweet and yummy, tasted like ice cream (but better!!)

I must do this!! -nt- new
      #176907 - 05/05/05 02:14 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: papaya puree... new
      #176915 - 05/05/05 02:31 PM
Wind

This is how I do it.

Ingredients:

1 Large Red Papaya (Not the little ones--they aren't as sweet and succulently juicy!)--it will sort of look like a canoe and be a sunny-burst of colour and flavour inside.

Tools:

Food Processor

Method:

1. Cut/slit the papaya in half (i.e. 2 canoes or alligator mouths). Scoop out the seeds. Save the seeds for a spicy dressing if you feel like it.

2. Peel the papaya--i.e. remove the skin. I usually chop of both ends to make it easier and sometimes quarter it, too.

3. Stick papaya cubes and any juice that drips off in the food processor and puree. You might want to stir it one or twice in between, to assist in the pulp/fibers turning into something just a tad thicker than applesauce.

4. Put in the fridge. This stuff is like a custard. It's so sweet. If you like cold/frozen treats, put some in the freezer for a couple hours. It'll turn to a sort of slush.

5. I love this stuff on cereal, instead of the traditional "wet" approach, i.e. a "notmilk."

6. If you like berries, another neat trick is to swirl in a separate red berry purree, i.e. raspberry or strawberry.

7. Try the same with a mango; it's got more of a "gelato" texture.

8. Papaya is also good in homemade salsas, incidentally...less acidy than tomatoes.

A large papaya generally yields about 4-5 cups.

Re: ...and mango popsicles too!--yup!--n.t. new
      #176916 - 05/05/05 02:32 PM
Wind

#176930 - 05/05/05 02:58 PM
Kemi

i am severaly stressed out!all the time where i am living and very very depressed but im starting to pull out of depression.my GI doctor called me today and yet another comment from him saying its all in my head,that relley upset me after that i just wanted to eat.

#177024 - 05/06/05 04:19 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Are you on any AD's? I thought I remember you saying you started on Zoloft...

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

I have just gone to a new happy place.... new
      #177026 - 05/06/05 04:41 AM
Snow for Sarala

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As soon as we move to our new place I must dig up our food processor! (It is packed away as we haevn't had a use for and we move so frequently we keep as much as possible in boxes )

Kate...this sounds delectible!

I have sooo many things to look forward to! Spinach patte is it (Laurel...can you send me a link to that post...I think it was yours...)...Papaya puree....my wolrd of food is opening up wide before my eyes!!!!

*major happy dance*

It's 4:40 in the am and I had a migraine ALL DAY yesterday...I am just so very happy t be alive (even though sleep would be fun right now...this is just as nice! )

Sorry if I'm rambling

Thanks Kate...you made my bad attitude great! *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Instead of blending/processing...Retorgrade new
      #177787 - 05/09/05 04:17 PM
Snow for Sarala

would mashing work? I bought a papay and I am PSYCHED! I plan to have some on a rice cake tonight!

Also...you mentioned something in a post not too long ago about spinach processed of some sort...do you recall what it was? You have yummy ideas....thanks!!!!

*hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Instead of blending/processing...Retorgrade new
      #177795 - 05/09/05 04:32 PM
retrograde

Hey Ruchie

Mashing would probably work since papayas and mangoes are so "mashable" Might be a little chunkier but that could be good in a popsicle.

I think the spinach thing you mean is a pesto-like sauce I do often with canned/drained or fresh/steamed spinach - throw it in the blender with some water or veg stock, minced garlic and dried or fresh (steamed) basil and blend it up. Especially good with pasta, on eggs etc... Also good with some chopped almonds or pine nuts thrown in

Enjoy your papaya!

Re: Enjoy your Papaya, Ruchie! new
      #177955 - 05/10/05 09:17 AM
Wind

Papaya is my ultimate favourite fruit. Like Retrograde said, mashing will work, it will just be "chunkier." Once you dig up your food processor, you'll be having a blast!

Retrograde's popeye pesto is wicked! Enjoy. Isn't she creative!!!

Re: Enjoy your Papaya, Ruchie! new
      #177956 - 05/10/05 09:25 AM
Wind

It's hard trying to think up names for all these impromptu creations that are never exactly the same twice! Do you have herbs, Ruchie? Man, my chives are EXPLODING today!!! Seriously...herbs really make my day. I like that spinach one, though--popeye pate, popeye pesto...oh dear. Quick question: How do you tolerate avocado? Spinach with a little avo. and herbs is divine...so velvety creamy and BETTER for you than CHEESE.

Re: Kemi, the science behind chocolate/junk cravings new
      #177983 - 05/10/05 11:42 AM
Wind

Kemi and others recently have posted re: exceptional "junk" food/sugar cravings, especially chocolate. Another food mentioned was cheese. Both substances negatively impact IBS; they are TRIGGERS.

I dug up a VERY interesting article re: the SCIENCE behind chocolate cravings. Please see www.chocolateinfo.com for further details, and read "Understanding the Theories Behind Craving Chocolate."

After having read this article, the "cheese" cravings that many experience make sense, too. Cheese is really high in tyramine. I hope that these "ideas" re: the science behind chocolate cravings are helpful in any behavioural modification endeavours.

Sincerely,
Kate (Wind).
Ibs-D

Re: More info. re: Chocolate cravings, Kemi!!! new
      #177990 - 05/10/05 11:59 AM
Wind

I promise that I won't ASSAULT you with articles and information after this, unless desired! Here's another "beauty" re: chocolate cravings. Please take a peak: www.chocolate.org/ Sometimes when we have a degree of understanding, i.e. a mental grip on the chemical science or attraction behind cravings we can make appropriate nutritional substitions, ones that are more appropriate for IBS. It's also interesting in the sense that sometimes we physically crave things that we're not getting enough of in our diet.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3052 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4963

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review