Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
"Safe Laxatives"
      #176492 - 05/04/05 08:45 AM
Kristin940

Reged: 05/04/05
Loc: Massachusetts

hi-
ive read some people recommend Miralax-what about other osmotic, non-stimulant laxatives that are "safe" to use in treating constipation. any suggestions?

thank you,
Kristen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: "Safe Laxatives" new
      #176533 - 05/04/05 10:53 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I didn't know that there was any other osmotic laxative that is non stimulant?

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#176535 - 05/04/05 11:01 AM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

I don't know if you'd consider this a "safe laxative" but what I do is, in the morning I take one probiotic, one cal/mag pill, one fish/flax/omega pill & one stool softener. I take the same stuff at night except at night I don't take the probiotic. Instead I take another one at luch. I've been doing this for the past week or so & I'm able to have a sizeable BM almost every morning without struggling. I'm hoping it stays that way.
Meryl
IBS-C, gas & bloating predominate.

#176536 - 05/04/05 11:11 AM
Kristin940

I honestly dont know that much either, and I was just reading some of the posting in regards to using laxative in addition to Zelnorm for those "chronic" times. I just called my GI doctor, though, and he warns against use of laxatives. I am concerned about the long-term effects to colon, etc.

#176547 - 05/04/05 11:31 AM
Kristin940

Thanks for your advice!!! I have these long bouts of constipation followed by bouts of diarrhea. Now I am exp the C bout and it is quite painful, as you know!!! thank you!

#176568 - 05/04/05 12:42 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I take Philips Chews once in a while. It has never given me problems to take them on rare occassions. I don't know if Heather considers them safe or not. The best thing for me though is to never get less than 70 oz. of liquid a day.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#176569 - 05/04/05 12:45 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Thats why the Miralax is considered safe for long term because its an OSMOTIC laxative and works defferently from the other chemical laxatives. It works by pulling water into your colon. Some peoples colons DO become dependant on it but I'd rather poop everyday and take Miralax than be miserable the rest of my life from extreme C! I've been on it for over 4 years now and it has greatly improved my quality of life. If I have to take it forever, I'm ok with that!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#176571 - 05/04/05 12:49 PM
Kristin940

I know, i agree with you there about quality of life. That is SO important. And, furthermore, Icant imagine it is good to have stool back-up due to constipation in your system either. It seems like a Catch 22!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6844 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2860

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review