Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Weight gain-constipation-predominant IBS
      #176439 - 05/04/05 06:53 AM
Kristin940

Reged: 05/04/05
Loc: Massachusetts

Hi everyone!
My weight fluctuates daily-do others with IBS constipation-predominant find this to be similar? It is very frustrating and, at times, depressing bec my diet seems to have no impact on my bloating/weight gain.

Thanks!
Kristen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Weight gain-constipation-predominant IBS new
      #176460 - 05/04/05 07:34 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

Yes, I find that if I bloat my weight goes up and down depending on the severity of the bloating. Bloating seems to be the hardest symptom to get under control. I am afraid I haven't the magic answer yet myself. I fyou are real gassy and bloating from it you can try Gas-X and laying on your left side, hot water bottle, etc.

Sorry I couldn't be more help,
Christie

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

#176465 - 05/04/05 07:47 AM
Kristin940

Thanks for your email and support. Yes, Im not SURE what is in my belly as the doctor told me there is not much gas in there. I do drink lots of peppermint tea and take Gas-X before every meal, plus Im on Zelnorm. But, my stomach is huge and my weight just goes up-and-up without any "known case." It is crazy, and I didnt know if others suffered similarly. In fact, my belly is so distended I had someone on the street ask me when I was due to have my baby!!!

#176466 - 05/04/05 07:52 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Hello and Welcome. Yes, I also suffer this. I have so many different size clothes in my closet because I'm never sure how big my belly is going to be from day to day! Today it's HUGE! I've got on a no waist dress with a long sweater over top because I couldn't fit into even my "fat" pants this morning!

My belly gets so bloated sometimes that even my underwear feels very tight and forget about wearing a bra! The pressure is terrible. I take miralax daily and I'm almost never very C anymore and I take a TON of gas-x and the dr's also tell me its not gas but they can't tell me WHAT it is!

The heating pad is my best freind! I sleep with it alomst every night! It doesn't really reduce the bloating but at least gives me a little comfort! I also own a lot of drawstring pants, TRUE drawstring, not the ones that also have elastic!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#176487 - 05/04/05 08:34 AM
Kristin940

Hi Michele,
How are you? Thanks for your post-Gosh, it sounds like you have a terrible case too. What else do you do to manage? Do you take Zelnorm?! It is incredible, the bloating. As you mentioned, mine too goes all the way up to my chest on bad days...causing me to vomit and get nauseous from the pressure!!! I feel as if I have tried everything, and the weight gain is unreal...hi, try 6-8 pounds daily fluctuation. Is this normative among IBS-c? Thanks for your reply!!! ---Kristen

Different sized clothes new
      #176497 - 05/04/05 08:55 AM
Meryl36

Reged: 09/03/04
Loc: Dallas, Texas

I can so relate to that. I just don't understand how I can have a BM almost every morning & still be so gassy & bloated the moment I eat ANYTHING (even safe foods). I also have a bunch of different clothes in my closet & find that my weight varies between 3-5lbs depending on the time of day & the amount of gas I have. I'm taking a bunch of different things & they seem to be helping at least a little bit. That & the fact that I graze on safe food all day long rather than having 3 squares. It's not gone by any means but at least it's a little better. My other major issue is gurggling in my belly. My gut seems to grumble all day no matter what I do. Does anyone else have this problem?

#176500 - 05/04/05 08:59 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Hi Kristin,

I find that when I'm truly following the diet and eating ONLY what I know is safe for me, bloating is not really an issue. Sometimes I get bloated if I try something new or eat at a restaurant (that pretty much guarantees bloating for the rest of the night), but, overall, I've found that the bloating can be controlled with diet.

Also, exercise really, really helps. I work out for about 2 hours a day - an hour of weight lifting (4x a week) and 45-60min (6x a week) of high intensity cardio. Not only does this keep you in shape, but it really helps my bloating and IBS.

If you are constantly bloated, you might try looking at your diet again. Some people find that they truly can't have anything with gluten in it, and after they are gluten-free for a while, the bloating goes away.

And lastly, have you tried fennel tea? It tastes pretty awful, IMHO, but it is a miracle worker for me. I drink at least 4 cups of it a day and it helps to prevent bloating as well as control bloating that is already there. Also, I find that the heating pad does help bloating to go down, but maybe that's just for me.

Good luck and HTH.

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

#176532 - 05/04/05 10:51 AM
michele

It doesn't matter how safely I eat, I still have the bloat and pain. Some days the pain is so bad I have to take Vicodin every few hours! I am afraid of the scale, I've put on some weight recently and just don't want to know kinda thing! But, I've measured my tummy with a tape measure and it can bloat up to 8-10 inches very quickly!

I too get very nauseous when it gets bad like that. I have a prescription for Donnatol, which is an anti-spasm medication with a mild sedative in it for the really bad cramps. It helps a bit but doesn't do a lot to be honest and it dries out my mouth and makes my vision blurry if I take very many. I also have a script for phenergan which helps with the nausea but makes me very tired. The Vicodin is strictly for pain. Its a narcotic and is addicting so use with caution.

I take Miralax everyday which keeps the C under control mostly. I tried Zelnorm but built up a tolerance to it very quickly and it stopped working. Now I just keep the Zelnorm on hand for the really bad times.

This diet does work for most people and it does help me but I haven't found anything to make it go away! Exercise does help, I currently take a water aerobics class which I really enjoy! also be sure to drink lots of water, very important for C people!

--------------------

Re: Grumbly tummy! new
      #176534 - 05/04/05 10:55 AM
michele

Yep! My tummy can be so loud my hubby hears it sitting across the room! The "grumbles" don't typically hurt, I can feel them like flutters or something but there isn't any additional pain from them.

--------------------

don't like the scale... new
      #176543 - 05/04/05 11:23 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

but depending on the day and how I am doing I fluctuate between a size 6 and 8...I am bloated today and the size 8 jeans I have on are snug but you know tomorrow the very same pair of jeans would be big on me.

I had anorexia so I steer clear of the scale...IBS is not an anorexics friend!

Gas-X....lots of liquid...herbal tea and the like work real well for me. I hope you find what works for you.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 530 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2773

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review