All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Oprah today!! I'm so worried!!!!
      #176315 - 05/03/05 05:40 PM
ToilettPrisoner

Reged: 02/20/05

Did you all see Oprah today?????
They did this thing on the Colon and poop, very informative!!
I was amazed!

But he went on and on bout the major importance of whole wheat and fiberous foods an all.
OMG!
But I elimnated whole wheat and a lot of the very fruits and veggies he recommended!!!!!
:O
I'm so worried now!
Especially since I've been more C now AND my blood pressure has gone up some.

Ok so 1) does the Acacia fiber still count as good healthy fiber??

And why is whole wheat bread so bad??

Now I'm all worried because it at least seems so much of Heathers diet is excluding the very important fiber.
Maybe I'm wrong.

I think tho I may bring back the whole wheat breads and cereals again.
I did not like seeing those real colons he had on the show from people not eating and drinking the way they should.

I do know I drink plenty tho, I'm always guzzling water.
Thats why my C worries me even more....sheesh you shoulda seen this show!

I learned that our colon is the most like our brain out of any orgon, hmmmm.
And that all men and women do and should pass gass 14 times a day. More than that signals a problem.
And that our poop should come out in a soft S shape. If it comes out in a "plop plop" series OR comes out hard and is like Marbles or hard to push out then both signals problems.

He exsplained it way better than I can.

He gave tonsa good advice and info.
I also got spooked by the colonospy video he showed, showing this small lump of cancer.
I felt bad that I'm bein a coward bout it.
Infact EVERYONE should get a colonospy done, so I'm gonna bug my family to maybe get it done with me!

But pleeeease somebody tell me my Acacia fiber daily IS very healthy and if taking that daily I shouldn't fret over my fiber intake then??

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hold your horses! new
      #176319 - 05/03/05 05:59 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

You can get whole grains without eating whole wheat. Such as:

Oatmeal (which lowers cholesterol), millet, buckwheat/kasha, brown rice, quinoa, and corn.

If you decide you want to add in whole wheat then go for it. (Please do ti slowly). I have a gluten intolerance and I will never eat wheat again. And I am going to be just fine this way!

As for fiber...soluble AND insoluble fiber are BOH important! Almot all foods have fiber...some more than others. Another thing...foods today only mention the amount of INSOLUBLE fiber in food. Why doesn't anyone mention soluble and its importance?

You want fiber? Eat oatmeal, flax seeds/flaxseed oil, potatoes, apples, pears, etc.

I got STABLE and now I am able to eat fruits with the peel. I am also able to eat salads and beans. But brocolli and cauliflower, etc....still make me positively ill no matter what I do!

I get all of my fiber from what I eat...and I never eat whole wheat (I get between 30-50 grams a DAY according to calculations I made weeks back).

And I eat IBS safe for ME.

Heather's diet isn't perfect for everyone as we are all different. But the guidelines are wonderful!

I WISH I could do acacia! i wish I could do a SFS. You are so fortunate you can...

Hth a little....and PLEASE do not freak out *hugs* Docs do NOT know everything!!!

Lotsa love, Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Whew! new
      #176366 - 05/03/05 09:07 PM
ToilettPrisoner

Reged: 02/20/05

That was a relief to read!
Thanx!
So taking my Acacia is still good Fiber and doing it's fiber job as would say his recommened 3 servings *gasp* of whole grains a day or more????

I would say overall that eating on Heathers diet is a lot healthier than what most Americans eat anyways.
I mean while my hubby scarfs down pizza with crap on it, I'm eating thin crust pizza with Turkey and mushroom on it with a side dish of Yams. lol
Dang thing that I weigh 205 and hubby weighs like 160!! Grrrr

I too saw the show new
      #176386 - 05/04/05 04:26 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

remember what they said about spelt flour too...I use spelt bread and that takes care of the grains. The show was enlightening to say the least.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

You have to remember new
      #176400 - 05/04/05 05:47 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

that his suggestions are for people who don't have IBS. Our systems are different. If we eat like that - we will get sick. We will be healthier following Heather's diet. We all should have some insoluble fiber -- and you probably should have a colonoscopy --- but don't stress and worry. That will just make your IBS worse. Continue on Heather's plan and relax. You'll be fine.

Re: Hold your horses! new
      #176410 - 05/04/05 06:16 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Rache hon, why can't you have acacia or any SFS, if you don't mind me asking?

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#176448 - 05/04/05 07:14 AM
Snow for Sarala

They just make me soooo bloated and gassy Even at 1/8 tsp a day!!!!

I've tried acacia, benefiber, citrcucel, metamucill, and one or two others.

Any ideas? I'm glad you asked me...I was too shy to say this before

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

poochibelly and all new
      #176455 - 05/04/05 07:21 AM
Snow for Sarala

What did he say about people who can't eat gluten and therefore can't have spelt, wheat, rye, barley or oats? Are we in big trouble?

Just want to point out that I am doing GREAT without the stuff! Everyone has a different body with different needs. Did this guy make these things a blanket statement? (As you can tell I didn't see the show).

Spelt IS a great idea if you can have it btw

What I am trying to say (not sure I'm doing a good job? ) is that I hope this man did not say this is how everyone should eat. YES fiber of all types is important for everyone. But if he suggested that without whole wheat you will not have a healthy colon...I wouldn't pay him any attention! As a person who will likely never eat wheat, barley, oats (except on Passover from England...long story), and rye ever again because it makes me sick...I know I can be healthy this way...in fact I would get very ill eating the wheat!

I am HOPING he made some alternative suggestions to whole wheat for people who have celiac OR that he didn't make any blanket statements! Please, tell me that's the case

Thank you for this post!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Whew! new
      #176470 - 05/04/05 08:00 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I'm also IBS C and can tolerate a bit of whloe wheat. I'll eat wheat bread for snadwiches sometimes and do fine. I also do ok with some fruit. If I eat too much fruit, it can make my gass and bloating worse.

I agree, not everyones body tolerates the same things. Our bodies are obvisouly different from the "normal" peoples, so I don't think you can put too much stock in the blanket statements as to what EVERYONE should be eating!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

Re: Oprah today!! I'm so worried!!!! new
      #176482 - 05/04/05 08:22 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Here is a link that explains why soluble fibre is GOOD FOR YOU. web page Read below the list of SF foods for an explanation of how it works. I saw the episode. He was talking for your regular Joe, not someone with IBS. Our goal is ultimately the same, to get as much insoluble fibre as possible. But we have to cushion it with a SF base to make it safe for us. No big deal.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Oprah today!! I'm so worried!!!! new
      #176611 - 05/04/05 01:45 PM
RobinV

Reged: 01/08/05
Loc: wayne,pa

There are some people who are wheat sensitive, and gluten sensitive. I saw that show and bought the book that was talked about.

Re: poochibelly and all new
      #176614 - 05/04/05 01:48 PM
RobinV

Since passover I have been C, so now I'm back on my regimen of supplements but not the ones that Heather suggests. I didn't like them at all, especially the acadia.

#176622 - 05/04/05 01:54 PM
RobinV

I agree with you, I couldn't take the acadia either. It made my C worse.

Re: poochibelly and all new
      #177866 - 05/09/05 09:29 PM
MikeE

Reged: 03/31/05
Loc: Seattle, WA

Well since I don't eat gluten here's where I get my fiber. Spinach, brocolli, sweet potatoes, romaine lettuce, brown rice, nuts. I get around 25 g a day and I umm.. can go just fine.

PS. I think I may have found the other food that I may be intollerant of, something in dairy is causing me problems I think. Because after getting rid of that, eggs and wheat I've been feeling MUCH better.

The show wasn't about IBS... new
      #177906 - 05/10/05 06:10 AM
poochibelly

Because the show was about healthy and unhealthy colons among other things but not specifically IBS, the doctor didn't address IBS. One lady on the show was severly constipated all the time and did the "tiny marble poo's" maybe twice a week ! Why? She drank more than a 12-pack (if I remember correctly) of diet coke a day and the only water she took in was when she brushed her teeth.

The doctor addresses diverticulitis, hemmorhoids and things that can happen when you strain to poo....but not specifically IBS.

It seems that Oprah's producers may have changed the format of the show that was listed on their website because it addresses more about severe constipation than IBS. The constipated woman had horrible eating habits.

Regardless it was a fascinating show and I learned plenty. I listen for the sound of my poo now . If it makes a plopping noise I know I need to increase my fiber and if it makes a sound like a diver going into a pool I am in good shape. What a hoot. I do find that I am not like the majority of people as I do not look at my poo when I am finished going. That makes me sick!

The man also said the average person passes gas 14 times a day...I told my children and I think they are counting now!

--------------------

What book did they recommend? new
      #177910 - 05/10/05 06:39 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I need help and would like to check this book out!

Thanks

Robin new
      #177911 - 05/10/05 06:40 AM
Cyndy

What supplements do you take to help the C? I don't take SFS either, for same reasons as Ruchie. Please HELP!

Poochibelly new
      #177913 - 05/10/05 06:45 AM
Cyndy

What did they suggest for constipation, like the lady had? Is there anything the doctor suggested that we can do, even having IBS?

How do you now increase your fiber? I have loud, round, hard plopping poops too, all the time. I hate it! I want the noiseless kind, if at all possible. I only go a few hard pepples a few times a week and cannot tolerate a SFS?

Any suggestions? I wish I had seen the show.

PS I look at my poop everytime. I gotta see what I got out!

Re: Robin new
      #177933 - 05/10/05 07:44 AM
Snow for Sarala

Try magnesium malate. You will need to adjust the amount you take based on how your bowels respond. If I take too much mag mal. I will get D. If I take too little I will stay C. Bonus: It relaxes the muscles and helps you get a restful sleep at night (I know because I have fibro and I can't sleep without it!)

Other things for C: Do a search for Shanna and poo. There are a LOT of great tips in that thread (my fav...drinking warm water with lemon juice added 1st thing when you wake up...can't remember all the ideas but that's a goddie!)

Feel good *hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Cyndy new
      #177950 - 05/10/05 08:47 AM
poochibelly

They talked about whole wheat and steel-something oats...none of it would work for IBS folks. What had helped me immensly is a recipe I found for spelt bread on this website. Like the person posting it used, I use flax seed. It works like a charm for me and I can tell when I forget to bake some and eat it daily...my poo goes back to the plops!

For me, I can get irritated when I get too "C" and end up needing TUCKS or something to soothe the irritation on my bum...it seems that the flax in the bread is what softens the poo thereby not causing any tears...I used to tear so bad and bleed that I would turn the toilet-water red. Sexy huh? I am all about "diving poo's"!

I wish that Oprah would do a show on IBS and educate folks. Oh well...she isn't the ONLY one out there with a show. Not Jerry Springer but perhaps Montel?

--------------------

Re: MikeE new
      #177952 - 05/10/05 08:55 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Ditto--just no dairy and no broccoli and no nuts!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1461 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3845

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review