All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question about iron, couldn't find much...
      #176268 - 05/03/05 02:49 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

How do you all get your iron? I feel I'm pretty deficient because I've had super fatigue lately. How do you batlle anemia and not eat spinach allthe time, or IF???

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about iron, couldn't find much... new
      #176331 - 05/03/05 07:03 PM
Vicam

Reged: 02/24/04
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I have trouble with my iron too unfortunately. I try and eat iron-fortified products whenever possible, for example, I eat sandwiches for lunch made on wraps that are iron fortified, and for breakfast I have quaker oatmeal that is also fortified with iron. And I try and eat a lot of fish and chicken which has some iron in it. It's hard if you don't eat red meat since that is the best source, iron from grains and vegetables isn't absorbed as well. If you continue to have trouble you may need to consider an iron supplement, I have to take one because it seems without red meat my body just won't maintain iron. Plus, if you're female and having regular periods that can make it difficult as well.

Good luck!

#176337 - 05/03/05 07:14 PM

Unregistered

I have the same problem. I'd love to know what people do for this. I worry about taking iron supplements since they can be dangerous of you take too much. And I don't think I could eat enough spinach to get enough iron to make up for my big deficiency.

#176343 - 05/03/05 07:39 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

If you can handle them, a multi-vitamin is probably a good idea. See Heather's notes on vitamins: http://www.helpforibs.com/news/newsletter/lempraw021104.html#askheather

#176427 - 05/04/05 06:33 AM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

I take pills - Ferrogradumet controlled releast tablets. I used to find that they made me nauseous when I took them as a teenager, but they're not really a problem now. I take them at night though, just in case!
They don't seem to cause any IBS problems for me, although they do make my poo a funny colour.

--------------------
*Emma*

#176508 - 05/04/05 09:52 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Some people are better at absorbing iron than others, too. And not all of us absorb the iron we take in. I just read that seaweed/sea veggies contain more iron than beef. Also, if you eat a diet high in vitamin C, iron absorption from food is enhanced. There's iron in lots of fruits, if you can tummy them. If you're okay with soy, know that a serving of tofu has more iron than a piece of chicken. But seriously, some people just aren't adept at absorbing it.

OK-here's what I do eat... new
      #176582 - 05/04/05 12:58 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

Soy milk with soy protein smoothie every morning, with berries. All my tum can not cramp up at in the AM right now. That accounts for about 30%. Then I have my breads, which are about 20%. There's red fruit, green veggies...but I don't want to have so much IF that my C gets bad again. Right now I'm pooping like 1-2 times a day. i don't want to mess with that. And iron supp's made me SOOO C!! I think I might run to the local HFS.

Thanks all!!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 640 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3372

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review