All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Re: Rice Cakes new
      #176507 - 05/04/05 09:44 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

It's impossible to find an organic white rice cake--everyone else seems to be on a wholegrain kick. I usually buy Koyo rice cakes or Biona. They're less "seedy./rough" than Lunenberg's. However, in your situation, why risk an IBS attack? I like millet and Koyo has one that is combined with millet. But, the rice is still brown. You don't do corn, am I correct? A lot of rice cakes have corn or kamut and other things, too. The wild rice cakes, or wild rice in generally really triggers me. Cooked brown rice does a number on me, but I'm okay with the rice cakes--but then, I'm not one to go eat a whole package.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Retrograde/North Bay Organics new
      #176531 - 05/04/05 10:39 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Thanks for that Belinda! Unfortunatley most of those aren't *actually* health food stores, except for two (one of which is owned by a friend of our family actually) but mostly they just carry supplments and stuff. Oh well... thanks again though for the time taken!

Re:So glad I'm not the only one new
      #176573 - 05/04/05 12:52 PM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

If you dont mind me asking, what are the foods that you have been eating for so long? I know exactly what you mean about being afraid to try the banana bread - Im just like this and when I do finally try something I eat a VERY tiny amount of what it is.

Re: Belinda new
      #176583 - 05/04/05 12:59 PM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Thanks for all your advice! I am going to Whole foods this week to buy some organic chicken and turkey so I can give it a try. I really hope that I can eat it because I miss it pretty bad right now! I do believe that eating organic is better and I definitely want to try to stick with it 100%
So how did you add in new foods after eating the same thing for so long? Did everything new make you sick at first? Do you just have to keep eating whatever it is until it doesnt make you sick anymore? I always avoid something after it makes me sick but I always wonder if I should've given it another try. Anyways, thanks for giving me your email address, I want to email you as soon as I get some more free time! Thanks again!

Re: Rice Cakes new
      #176587 - 05/04/05 01:06 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Yes, you're right ... I had better stay away from all those rice cakes! I got my last severe, painful IBS attack several years ago from taking just one bite out of a Lunenberg rice cake! I had eaten a little of it every day and I got the attack on the third day. That was before I discovered Heather's website and before I realized brown rice was unsafe for me. It took me two weeks to recover from that attack. I have no desire to repeat the episode!

The only rice I find I can tolerate is cooked organic white Basmati rice. I don't know why it agrees with me so well. Before that I tried other white rice, but got sick. I love the Basmati rice. I just had some for lunch today (with some turkey)!

A Food Story new
      #176616 - 05/04/05 01:49 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Abby:

By the time I discovered Heather's website, I had been battling IBS for 45 years. I had been diagnosed with IBS by two doctors previously, but I didn't understand what I had and I didn't have a clue (other than through my own miserable trials and tribulations) of how to deal with IBS.

Over those 45 years I became very fearful of food and I had narrowed down my diet to something akin to a prison diet! Well, let's just say it was very,very limited. I just ate what food I could manage to stay alive.

Initially (for months) after discovering Heather's website, I didn't add anything new into my diet. Instead, ironically I removed more foods -- those that Heather listed as triggers. It took me much, much longer to try some of the foods she said were safe. I had developed such a terrible fear of food over the years that I directly associated certain foods with the pain they would cause me if consumed and I literally wouldn't even consider putting them near my mouth (let alone eating them)! Those off-limit foods might as well have been a household cleaner or some other poison because my fear of certain foods was so great I would regard them as akin to poison because of the misery they would cause me if I ate them!

It took a great deal of courage for me to break that life-long way of thinking and try a new food knowing I could be opening myself up for yet another painful attack. I began with a very, very tiny (maybe a teaspoonful!) amount of the new food. I was so cautious that I waited a couple of days after trying that small amount before trying it again even though I had felt fine after the first time.

I also purchased both of Heather's books and began absorbing her rules for preparing food so that it would be safer. I think that's what surprised me the most. Up until I discovered Heather's website I always thought it was specific foods that triggered the attacks. What had never occurred to me was that some of those "bad" foods might be made safe to eat if prepared in a certain way or consumed with other specific foods (soluble fibre).

This precious knowledge has literally changed my life and allowed me slowly over time to expand my diet. As I say, at first I was very fearful, but over time I have been astounded at the good results! It is true there are some foods I have yet to try -- oatmeal, for example, but I take these things slowly since I still remember all the horrible painful attacks I've had going right back to early childhood.

So the bottom line is I totally understand your fear of food and your reluctance to expand your diet. What I want to tell you is that you have definitely arrived at the right website because Heather's diet rules are the only ones that I know of that truly are the right way to deal with IBS. The only thing is I do not subscribe to most of Heather's recipes because I wouldn't be able to tolerate certain ingredients in them. But I consider her diet rules second to none!

By the way, when I made Heather's banana bread for the first time, I ate about two crumbs of it on the second day and then grew too fearful to eat the rest! I made a second batch a week later and braved a half slice and then threw the rest out! By the time I made the third batch, I was slightly more confident (after all I had not gotten sick from my two previous adventures in trying the banana bread) so I ate more of it. Pretty pathetic on my part, but it's not easy overcoming a fear of food that is based on a litany of horrific painful attacks for more than four decades!

Also pathetic is the fact I bought some organic Twinings peppermint teabags on a trip to England two years ago and it took me a year to bravely bring out the first teabag and try it! (The expiry date had almost passed on the box!) Up until that point I had just drunk bottled water for as long as I could remember, and nothing else.

Write to me when you get a chance and I'll try and help you slowly expand your diet in a safe and sensible way, with lots of empathy for what you're going through.

Belinda

Re: Belinda/basmati... new
      #176628 - 05/04/05 02:05 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Why mess with what works best? Goodness knows how long it took for you to arrive at who you are today, and your health status!

I generally eat the same organic white basmati rice just about everyday. Why? Because it is the most agreeable. I often eat it more than once/day, too!

You've come a long way!

Best Wishes,
Kate (Wind).

Re: Scared of food! new
      #176667 - 05/04/05 06:49 PM
sherri23

Reged: 03/18/05
Loc: CA

I also eat a small variety of food. I think you need more protein turkey and chicken are safe. Also fish I can eat these without problems. Have you ever tried food emzymes they help alot. Sourdough bread is a great choice to eat before any meal. I know it can be trying at times and also boring. Oh egg whites are safe and a great source of protein Good Luck Sherri

Re:Abby ,So glad I'm not the only one new
      #177025 - 05/06/05 04:28 AM
susieannah

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: sussex, england

Abby this is by no means a recommendation!! But these are the foods I've been eating for the past five years and I'll probably get told off coz some of them are not too low fat but I haven't had D in a ages just get pains quite alot though.
Here goes!!

Crunchy Oat cereal with soya milk
Flapjacks
Haddock in breadcrumbs (no dairy in it)
Veggie nuggets (wheat protein ones)
Potatoe croquettes
White bread muffins with a little peanut butter
Banana bread (now I've tried it and I'm fine)
Pitta bread with soya cheese and marmite
Small amounts of dark chocolate
'Nice' biscuits (no dairy ones)
Lots of water
And finally, know its bad for me but the odd can of cherry tango or pepsi.

And yes that is the extent of my awful diet!!
Would like to try chicken but have got a mad phobia about eating it, after eating it once and being sick it wasn't the chicken had a bug but think I'm a bit of a mental case!! LOL
I dont know about you but my cupboards are full of things that I bought to try but never had the courage to do so bat the moment it contains:
Ready made polenta
Cous cous
Soy chocolate yoghurt type things!!

Believe me honey your not alone on this one!!

And yes I have a very sweet tooth!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5355 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16532

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review