All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Belinda is RIGHT!!! new
      #175834 - 05/02/05 01:40 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Seriously, Belinda's advice is RIGHT! You need to safely expand your menu in order to thrive. Hang in there; baby steps. I once had as limited of a menu/diet as you and literally wasted away.

Do you have a food processor? It's a worthwhile investment.
I highly recommend that you buy organic foods only. It makes a huge difference.
As Belinda mentioned, getting off prcessed foods is essential.
If you do consume poultry/fish, make sure that it is organic/kosher, etc. as Belinda suggested.
Vegetables and fruits can be made more digestible/soluable by steaming and pureeing. With soluable fiber, they are safer to consume in small doses to your comfort level. Smoothies are a great suggestion, too.
Eat mini-meals and snacks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thank you! new
      #175873 - 05/02/05 02:55 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Wind:

I am so glad you posted your recommendation to buy organic foods only and your statement that you feel it makes a huge difference. I totally agree with you. But when I posted a challenge earlier this year for others on this board to try organic food (in the hopes of helping them), I was stunned at the negative reaction I received.

I was attacked and practically thrown off these boards, with people complaining organic food costs too much and that it didn't help them anyway. It made me afraid to mention the organic subject again.

I personally think organic food is an important part of the journey to wellness for an IBS person. Since our guts are ultra-sensitive to food, it makes sense that organic food would be better for us because there usually aren't things like additives, pesticides, chemicals, preservatives, harmones, antibiotics, etc. in organic food that could irritate our IBS and provoke an attack.

It is true organic food is more expensive than conventional food. But if you shop regularly at a health food store, there are often great sales that you can take advantage of. In Toronto you can get a discount card from the Toronto Vegetarian Association that entitles you to discounts at various health food stores. Some cities also have co-op health food stores where you can help out a little in exchange for some discounted organic food. Much of our organic food in Canada comes from the U.S. (California) so prices should be even better south of the border.

On the whole, I would say organic food probably costs about 30 per cent more than conventional food, but is well worth the money. I cut some cable channels and reduced some other expenses so I could afford it. I feel it's a good investment for my health. Preparing my own food and not buying store-prepared food also helps me cut down on my grocery bill and enables me to better afford organic food.

I am often dismayed at how many people on these boards eat conventional food, as well as store-prepared foods, with all kinds of additives and chemicals, and they can't understand why they continue to be sick from IBS even though they are following Heather's diet.

I think the controlling of IBS requires a multi-faceted approach in which we need to not only pay close attention to what we are eating, how we prepare it and how we eat it, but also to the very sources of our food.

Belinda

Re: Scared of food! new
      #175893 - 05/02/05 03:27 PM
AerobicsAngel

Reged: 03/24/05
Loc: London Ontario Canada

I can't eat anything without digestive enzymes or I get D. With the enzymes I have more solid movements, still get pain but not attacks. I take one before supper and I can eat more during the day now. I've tried going without them but I go right back to D attacks every few days.

Re: Belinda/Organic Only! new
      #175948 - 05/02/05 06:21 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Dear Belinda:

Eating exclusively organically has SAVED me!!! Seriously, there would be no colour, no natural nourishment without organic food. I know that it is certainly not contaminated and grown without all the junk that aggravates IBS. Like you, because I do not subscribe to pre-packaged gimmicky "name-branded" packaged foods, it doesn't really negatively impact my overall grocery bill. Like you, I take advantage of sales. Input totally co-relates with output re: food/nutrition/energy and organic produce/food is of a vibration/quality that I TRUST. It is without gmo. and adulteration. You are positively correct; the gimmicky foods that alot of people on this board subscribe to are offensive and insulting to my gut personally. I could not survive that way, and would be the depressed, emaciated, IBS-D tormented shadow of who I am today. There are no quick fixes to IBS. It's a lifestyle that requires maintenance. Quality control re: nutritional input assertains that peace of body, peace of mind. Vive la difference; chose organic and do your own prep. That way, you know what you're going to get. Honestly...the way people go on about those Loonie Luna bars is pathetic!!! Not to mention...well, I'm sure you can think of myriad things to fill that blank in.

I cannot believe I can actually tolerate some veggies, now!
It's miraculous, but with organic food and a food processor magic can happen. Doing a little of my own organic gardening for the joy of it helps, too.

#175997 - 05/02/05 08:17 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

If I remember correctly, you have been having this problem for about a year, right? That is what I was thinking too.... That is too long to only be eating rice potatos and bananas! I totally agree that is just too long sweetie.
My advice would be to start over from scratch. Eat vegetables with your potato tomorrow. make a fruit smoothie. You have to start eating other foods! The breaking the cycle diet is only a short term soloution. If you are still having problems, maybe you need more tests done to rule out other problems. Yes, please see you Dr. Steam your vegetables until you can mash them into mush if you have to, but you do need to eat them! Yes....
Good luck
Sheri

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Edited by Shell Marr (05/03/05 08:26 AM)

Organics new
      #176003 - 05/02/05 08:38 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I would love to eat all organic, but unfortunately I really can't afford it 30% more would be waaaay too much for me as my (student) budget is already so ridiculously tight.

Belinda I remember that post that you made a while back about eating all organic - I don't think anyone wanted to kick you off the boards! lol! No worries. Some people find that it helps and others simply don't. Everyone's different. And others like me are woeful that they, quite simply, can't afford it

Someday healthy foods will be cheap and it will be McDonalds that costs a fortune!!

Re: Organics new
      #176006 - 05/02/05 09:05 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Amen to that last line!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#176022 - 05/03/05 12:11 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Slowly add in a variety of SF foods and other GF SF grains like quinoa, gf pasta, etc. If you do it tiny bits at a time then you should have less problems.

Re: Thank you! new
      #176075 - 05/03/05 07:26 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

belinda...that is beautifully written and I support every word. I don't have a lot of money but eat as much organicaly as I can and choose to sacrifice buying new clothes often etc. I think it is very important from a spiritual perspective. I find it very hard to consume non organic foods now. there is a different feeling about them. I feel so lucky that I live in a place where I have access to purer foods and am not at the command of huge multinational corporations and governments who assure us that non organic is safe. I think the pesticides etc are responsible for a great deal in our society. I always advise people (I am a naturopath, environmental science degree holder and nutritionist student) that the first step to healing from anything is to get back to purity. the same absolutely goes for IBS (esp since it hardly exists in society's that eat from the earth as it was created).
Thank you for being brave enough to revoice your opinions.

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Wind/Organics new
      #176078 - 05/03/05 07:29 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Wind:

I agree 1,000 per cent with you on everything you wrote in your post and I have come to all the same conclusions as you regarding organics.

Organics has not only improved by ability to cope with IBS, but I believe it has helped me to be healthier overall. I haven't had a cold (touch wood!) in 15 months now and I avoided all the terrible flus and viruses that plagued everyone in my office over the past winter. I was also coughed and sneezed upon on the subway going to and from work and I still didn't catch anything!

Yes, the downside is organics is a little more expensive and I must put aside several hours every Sunday afternoon to do all my food preparation for the week. It's difficult to find that time in my hectic schedule, but well worth it.

I'm not sure where Retrograde lives, but if she is in the Toronto area, there is at least one co-op health foodstore here where she could help out for a few hours each week in exchange for discounted organic food. There are likely others in other cities in Ontario since it's a popular arrangement here. I could find out more if Retrograde or anyone else is interested.

Belinda

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4153 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16556

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review