All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Scared of food!
      #175663 - 05/02/05 08:23 AM
abby82

Reged: 03/08/04
Loc: Nevada

Does anyone else feel like they are scared to death of trying new food? I think I have created a food phobia and I dont know what to do. I have eaten the exact same thing every single day for as long as I can remember so that I dont get attacks. Plus since I continue to get attacks I keep taking things out of my diet and not replacing them with something new. Recently I have taken both chicken and turkey out because they were making me sick and now Im afraid to add them back in,but I need to since Im getting no protein from what Im eating. Since Ive been eating the same things for sooo long is pretty much everything going to make me sick at first? Should I just keep eating whatever it is and see if it goes away? I feel like anything new that I eat is just gonna cause my digestive system to go into shock since its so used to the same food everyday. Has anyone had a this problem or one similar to it? If so, how did you get over it? Do I need to get professional help from a nutritionist or a therapist? Im so lost! Anyways heres what I eat everyday:

Potatoes (LOTS of them - probably 6 a day)
Bananas - (1 or 2 a day)
Cereal - cocoa pebbles or other gluten free cereals
Rice muffins - banana and plain
Gluten free donuts
gluten free blueberry waffles
rice bread
mashed potatoes and gravy
egg whites

And thats basically it. From looking at these foods can anyone suggest anything that may be easy to add in? ANY help would be GREATLY appreciated! Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Scared of food! new
      #175667 - 05/02/05 08:28 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Hmmm. Have you tried playing around with the other SF foods and tiny bits of protein mixed in? Cooked and mushed carrots, squash, etc are super safe. And try egg whites, fish and soy as well for protein.

Remember that if you eat TOO limited a diet some people's bodies will rebel and become intolerant of what you ARE eating! So it could get worse if you don't expand your diet.

Also, it could well be at least partly psycosomatic...our minds can have a BIG effect with food intolerances. So can you address the stress issue with something like hypno?

#175727 - 05/02/05 09:52 AM
jenniferlynn

Reged: 02/10/05
Loc: Pittsburgh, PA

I'm sorta the same way...to a point. I mainly eat:
Rice
Potatoes
Carrots
Plain Noodles
Shrimp
Chicken
Tons of Rice pudding the safe way!!!!

This really helps me out when I'm feeling yuck. I make it by the crock pot full. I eat it for breakfast, L, and Dinner!It's scary I know. Just hang in there!

#175734 - 05/02/05 10:04 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

I know exactly what you mean-
I also have a very limited "menu"-
I am very very afraid to try new things also. I personally went to a dietician to find out what foods were good for me to "try" to help get all the nutrients I need. It is so hard to figure out exactly what causes me to feel crappy sometimes as the food may not affect me for a day or two.
When you said turkey and chicken were making you sick- sick how? What exactly do you mean?
But again, I can relate to what you are saying. I have not seen a psychologist or psychiatrist for this yet, but I am on AD's since February as I got very very depressed that this was how it was going to be.
I still am not "over" being afraid to try different things and I don't know if I ever will be.

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

#175735 - 05/02/05 10:05 AM
abby82

I didnt know that you could become intolerant to something if you ate it all the time! How do I know if this is NOT my problem right now - would I completely change my diet or just add something in? I am sooo sick of rice and potatoes Im going to go crazy!

#175760 - 05/02/05 11:20 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Abby:

You don't need to live this way! I, too, had a food phobia and for years I had a limited diet, but I am much better now that I fully understand what is safe and what is not safe to eat.

What is very key is understanding that even an "unsafe" food can sometimes be made safe -- provided it is prepared and eaten in a "safe way." For example, peeling and pureeing veggies can help and eating less safe foods with soluble fibre can also help.

From seeing your list, I think you need to make major changes to your diet. The bananas, cereal, muffins, donuts, waffles, bread and gravy are all potentially problematic and are possibly aggravating your condition so that you are unable to branch out to other foods.

To start with, you need to follow Heather's diet rules (not her recipes). In addition, I would recommend taking a natural approach -- by that I mean not eating any store-prepared food or anything that contains additives or chemicals.

You should be able to tolerate turkey and chicken if you stick to white meat without the skin, as Heather recommends. If it still bothers you, then you could try organic or kosher poultry. It seems to be much safer.

I will warn you, though, there is no easy way to deal with IBS. It basically boils down to strictly following the diet and employing some of Heather's lifestyle suggestions such as fitness, yoga, etc.

I will also warn you that if you cheat on just one small thing, you can potentially provoke an IBS attack (depending on your level of sensitivity). I find my IBS is so sensitive that just cheating on one tiny ingredient can put me in misery for up to two weeks so I have to be very careful. For me, those "tiny ingredients" can include the chemicals and additives used in prepared foods and the harmones and antibiotics used in rearing poultry. You also have to be wary of the source for poultry. For example, Butterball turkey may be injected with an IBS-unsafe substance to make it juicier.

Belinda

#175766 - 05/02/05 11:28 AM
Sheri01

Reged: 04/19/04
Loc: New Jersey

If I remember correctly, you have been having this problem for about a year, right? That is too long to only be eating rice potatos and bananas!
My advice would be to start over from scratch. Eat vegetables with your potato tomorrow. make a fruit smoothie. You have to start eating other foods! The breaking the cycle diet is only a short term soloution. If you are still having problems, maybe you need more tests done to rule out other problems. Steam your vegetables until you can mash them into mush if you have to, but you do need to eat them!
Good luck

--------------------
-Sheri

#175774 - 05/02/05 11:50 AM
belinda

Abby:

Write me offline at belinda958@yahoo.ca and I will help you get onto a better diet.

I went through exactly what you are going through and I totally understand your desperation and your fear of food.

At one point in my 30s I had elimated so many foods from my diet in a desperate attempt to prevent the attacks that all I ate for one solid year was white bread along with chicken boiled in water (chicken soup) made with a dash of fresh parsley and some carrots. I ate this for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I dropped to 74 pounds.

Thank goodness those days are long behind me and I know how to deal with IBS now. I hope no one, including yourself, will ever have to go through what I went through.

#175776 - 05/02/05 11:53 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Abbey! I feel for your heartache. It must be devestating. I know, I've been there. It is essential to your diet that you add other fruits and veggies. What's the worst thing that could happen? An attack, well you'll get through it. Are you taking a SFS? They are critical in managing symptoms. Try Acacia, benefiber, equalactin, citrucel to name a few. Work your way up SLOWLY from a VERY LOW DOSE. It can really make the difference. Second, are you drinking lots of peppermint tea? I would suggest several strong hot cups a day. It can really help.
If you are going to introduce new things, I would suggest well cooked carrots and sweet potatoes. They are still soluble fibre but are at least from the veggie section. Let us know how you're doing. I would also add back a bit of protein if you can, even in very small quantities. Try light peanut butter on your muffins.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Abby, you sound like me! new
      #175827 - 05/02/05 01:21 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Abby...you sound just like me! Even chicken...Kosher and white meat boiled plain!...upstes my tummy. Fish as well.

I get my protein from eggs. But even that can give me probs...

I am trying soy yogurt. It seems to be upsetting me (just had some now for lunch).

I found Trader Joe's has an unsweetened soy milk that's GF. I'll let you know how it goes.

*big hugs* You're not alone! We're in a very similair place...

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Belinda is RIGHT!!! new
      #175834 - 05/02/05 01:40 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Seriously, Belinda's advice is RIGHT! You need to safely expand your menu in order to thrive. Hang in there; baby steps. I once had as limited of a menu/diet as you and literally wasted away.

Do you have a food processor? It's a worthwhile investment.
I highly recommend that you buy organic foods only. It makes a huge difference.
As Belinda mentioned, getting off prcessed foods is essential.
If you do consume poultry/fish, make sure that it is organic/kosher, etc. as Belinda suggested.
Vegetables and fruits can be made more digestible/soluable by steaming and pureeing. With soluable fiber, they are safer to consume in small doses to your comfort level. Smoothies are a great suggestion, too.
Eat mini-meals and snacks.

Thank you! new
      #175873 - 05/02/05 02:55 PM
belinda

Wind:

I am so glad you posted your recommendation to buy organic foods only and your statement that you feel it makes a huge difference. I totally agree with you. But when I posted a challenge earlier this year for others on this board to try organic food (in the hopes of helping them), I was stunned at the negative reaction I received.

I was attacked and practically thrown off these boards, with people complaining organic food costs too much and that it didn't help them anyway. It made me afraid to mention the organic subject again.

I personally think organic food is an important part of the journey to wellness for an IBS person. Since our guts are ultra-sensitive to food, it makes sense that organic food would be better for us because there usually aren't things like additives, pesticides, chemicals, preservatives, harmones, antibiotics, etc. in organic food that could irritate our IBS and provoke an attack.

It is true organic food is more expensive than conventional food. But if you shop regularly at a health food store, there are often great sales that you can take advantage of. In Toronto you can get a discount card from the Toronto Vegetarian Association that entitles you to discounts at various health food stores. Some cities also have co-op health food stores where you can help out a little in exchange for some discounted organic food. Much of our organic food in Canada comes from the U.S. (California) so prices should be even better south of the border.

On the whole, I would say organic food probably costs about 30 per cent more than conventional food, but is well worth the money. I cut some cable channels and reduced some other expenses so I could afford it. I feel it's a good investment for my health. Preparing my own food and not buying store-prepared food also helps me cut down on my grocery bill and enables me to better afford organic food.

I am often dismayed at how many people on these boards eat conventional food, as well as store-prepared foods, with all kinds of additives and chemicals, and they can't understand why they continue to be sick from IBS even though they are following Heather's diet.

I think the controlling of IBS requires a multi-faceted approach in which we need to not only pay close attention to what we are eating, how we prepare it and how we eat it, but also to the very sources of our food.

Belinda

#175893 - 05/02/05 03:27 PM
AerobicsAngel

Reged: 03/24/05
Loc: London Ontario Canada

I can't eat anything without digestive enzymes or I get D. With the enzymes I have more solid movements, still get pain but not attacks. I take one before supper and I can eat more during the day now. I've tried going without them but I go right back to D attacks every few days.

Re: Belinda/Organic Only! new
      #175948 - 05/02/05 06:21 PM
Wind

Dear Belinda:

Eating exclusively organically has SAVED me!!! Seriously, there would be no colour, no natural nourishment without organic food. I know that it is certainly not contaminated and grown without all the junk that aggravates IBS. Like you, because I do not subscribe to pre-packaged gimmicky "name-branded" packaged foods, it doesn't really negatively impact my overall grocery bill. Like you, I take advantage of sales. Input totally co-relates with output re: food/nutrition/energy and organic produce/food is of a vibration/quality that I TRUST. It is without gmo. and adulteration. You are positively correct; the gimmicky foods that alot of people on this board subscribe to are offensive and insulting to my gut personally. I could not survive that way, and would be the depressed, emaciated, IBS-D tormented shadow of who I am today. There are no quick fixes to IBS. It's a lifestyle that requires maintenance. Quality control re: nutritional input assertains that peace of body, peace of mind. Vive la difference; chose organic and do your own prep. That way, you know what you're going to get. Honestly...the way people go on about those Loonie Luna bars is pathetic!!! Not to mention...well, I'm sure you can think of myriad things to fill that blank in.

I cannot believe I can actually tolerate some veggies, now!
It's miraculous, but with organic food and a food processor magic can happen. Doing a little of my own organic gardening for the joy of it helps, too.

#175997 - 05/02/05 08:17 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Quote:

If I remember correctly, you have been having this problem for about a year, right? That is what I was thinking too.... That is too long to only be eating rice potatos and bananas! I totally agree that is just too long sweetie.
My advice would be to start over from scratch. Eat vegetables with your potato tomorrow. make a fruit smoothie. You have to start eating other foods! The breaking the cycle diet is only a short term soloution. If you are still having problems, maybe you need more tests done to rule out other problems. Yes, please see you Dr. Steam your vegetables until you can mash them into mush if you have to, but you do need to eat them! Yes....
Good luck
Sheri

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

Edited by Shell Marr (05/03/05 08:26 AM)

Organics new
      #176003 - 05/02/05 08:38 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I would love to eat all organic, but unfortunately I really can't afford it 30% more would be waaaay too much for me as my (student) budget is already so ridiculously tight.

Belinda I remember that post that you made a while back about eating all organic - I don't think anyone wanted to kick you off the boards! lol! No worries. Some people find that it helps and others simply don't. Everyone's different. And others like me are woeful that they, quite simply, can't afford it

Someday healthy foods will be cheap and it will be McDonalds that costs a fortune!!

Re: Organics new
      #176006 - 05/02/05 09:05 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Amen to that last line!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#176022 - 05/03/05 12:11 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Slowly add in a variety of SF foods and other GF SF grains like quinoa, gf pasta, etc. If you do it tiny bits at a time then you should have less problems.

Re: Thank you! new
      #176075 - 05/03/05 07:26 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

belinda...that is beautifully written and I support every word. I don't have a lot of money but eat as much organicaly as I can and choose to sacrifice buying new clothes often etc. I think it is very important from a spiritual perspective. I find it very hard to consume non organic foods now. there is a different feeling about them. I feel so lucky that I live in a place where I have access to purer foods and am not at the command of huge multinational corporations and governments who assure us that non organic is safe. I think the pesticides etc are responsible for a great deal in our society. I always advise people (I am a naturopath, environmental science degree holder and nutritionist student) that the first step to healing from anything is to get back to purity. the same absolutely goes for IBS (esp since it hardly exists in society's that eat from the earth as it was created).
Thank you for being brave enough to revoice your opinions.

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Wind/Organics new
      #176078 - 05/03/05 07:29 AM
belinda

Wind:

I agree 1,000 per cent with you on everything you wrote in your post and I have come to all the same conclusions as you regarding organics.

Organics has not only improved by ability to cope with IBS, but I believe it has helped me to be healthier overall. I haven't had a cold (touch wood!) in 15 months now and I avoided all the terrible flus and viruses that plagued everyone in my office over the past winter. I was also coughed and sneezed upon on the subway going to and from work and I still didn't catch anything!

Yes, the downside is organics is a little more expensive and I must put aside several hours every Sunday afternoon to do all my food preparation for the week. It's difficult to find that time in my hectic schedule, but well worth it.

I'm not sure where Retrograde lives, but if she is in the Toronto area, there is at least one co-op health foodstore here where she could help out for a few hours each week in exchange for discounted organic food. There are likely others in other cities in Ontario since it's a popular arrangement here. I could find out more if Retrograde or anyone else is interested.

Belinda

#176091 - 05/03/05 07:54 AM
belinda

Daliatree:

Thank you for your post! You are totally right! One needs to get back to pure and natural things in order to heal.

I worry about our conventional food supply. I hear increasingly scary things about it. Someone even recently told me that conventional, whole chickens sold the supermarket are just three weeks old!

If this is true (I hope it's not!), I shudder to think what sort of tampering (by food manufacturers) might have taken place with the chickens' natural growth to cause them to grow so big in such a short time. And goodness only knows what sort of tampering is taking place with the rest of our conventional food supply and what the consequences will be in the long run for those who eat that food.

To Belinda or WInd new
      #176095 - 05/03/05 08:06 AM
FutureDoc

Reged: 04/02/04

I recently saw a nutritionist and she has me trying to eat organic whole foods. I am eating nothing processed and nothing with any sweetners. She is starting to convince me that thats the path to healing. Anyways.... I was just wondering what you guys eat in a typical day. Thanks in advance for your response!!

#176096 - 05/03/05 08:08 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Yep Yep Yep
I simply do not trust the so called authorities on this. I prefer to trust small organic farms who consist of people who are devoting their lives to growing clean food. The abuse of animals for the conventional meat industry is just appalling. If I cannot find organic eggs and organic chicken I am simply vegan. If more people took the trouble to learn about their food sources we would all be eating VERY differently, thats for sure. The places conventional food comes from is simply pukeworthy!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Mealz new
      #176102 - 05/03/05 08:23 AM
belinda

I'm not sure what you mean by "whole foods." Do you mean whole wheat, etc. -- of course, whole wheat can cause IBS attacks.

I very much stick to Heather's diet rules in terms of my diet. The only thing I do differently is that I eat predominantly organic and I prepare 95 per cent of my own food (the few exceptions are bread which I buy from a good bakery, Organic Earth Balance buttery spread and babyfood fruit sauce).

I typically eat:

- a white bagel with Earth Balance and fruit sauce for breakfast,

- sandwiches made with Earth Balance, organic cooked turkey slices (no preservatives) and cooked mashed potatoes or yams depending on how hungry I am! (I have a sandwich every few hours)

- and for dinner I have skinless chicken, turkey or fish with Basmati white rice or potatoes and small (for some veggies like broccoli just a teaspoonful!) quantities of peeled/cut up cooked veggies that can include turnip, beets, carrots, brocolli, swiss chard, tomato, mushroom, green onion (sometimes), zucchini, green bean (yes, just one!), sweet red pepper, etc.

I drink room temperature bottled water and sometimes a hot cup of peppermint tea.

Re: Notadoctor/Wind's diet new
      #176115 - 05/03/05 08:52 AM
Wind

I do not eat "whole wheat."
By whole foods approach, or diet, I mean nothing processed...with a few organic exceptions, i.e."No Chicken broth," etc.
Breakfast cereal: generally puffed millet.
Organic fruits and veg. Generally pureed. Soups/smoothies
Grains...most days I eat white basmatie rice, or white jasmine rice; sometimes rice pasta (all organic).
I do use organic unsweetened applesauce.
If I eat a potatoe or sweet potatoe, it's organic. But I'm not a potatoe freak and nightshade foods irritate me.
Sea veg./spirulina powder/rice protein powder
Organic soy milk, almond milk

Seriously, though...my eating habits are variable...but because I work at home, it's easy for me to include a soup or something safe at home that is homemade or whip up a smoothie. Most days include a smoothie and soups. I do not eat cruciferous veg., or any allum (i.e. garlic, onions).
Rice cakes/crackers

I do not use any type of fat-free mayo or dressing, either.
I also do not use margarine (although Earth Balance is safe, as Belinda mentioned) as adding fats really aggravates my IBS. I do use dijon mustard, though and vinegar--organic and generally rice or cider, though sometimes balsalmic, umeboshi plum. There is no "mock-meat" in my fridge or freezer. I do use a little organic bean/legume...but only in purees and with sf.

No oats or anything really "brown" in my diet. Just plain old food that requires prep. No "bars;" no "microwavable cuisines;" I'm not a big baker.

Is that helpful? It sounds like my food tastes really "blah," however it really doesn't. Herbs, etc. really liven things up. I feel a little lost in this post, but you won't catch me eating food in a regular grocery aisle--does that help? And I need to know the source, i.e. organic food only. Nothing processed. NO LEFTOVERS either.

Yes, I'm picky.

Re: Wind/Organics new
      #176160 - 05/03/05 10:09 AM
retrograde

Hi Belinda

If I lived in the Toronto area I would probably be eating organic as it's so much easier to find stuff there. I go to school in London during the year, and after this September will probably be living here permanently for a while at least. London is not too bad for finding organic - there is a market here, but I went to check it out one day and almost passed out from the prices! I've been to organic markets in Toronto and these are much more expensive - it tarries to a much different market I think in in London than it does Toronto.

However there is also a food co-op here that has organic. I considered it at the beginning of the year but to make it cost-effective you really need to put some hours in working there like you said Belinda, which as a student who is also very involved with campus activities and who also works part time that wasn't really an option But I am making an effort to make my life less stressful next year by paring down on the activities I'm invovled with so that's definitely something to consider for September. Like I said, I'd love to eat organic if I could find a way to afford it.

Unfortunately the summer will be a total write-off - I'll be living in North Bay for most of the time, which is a smallish city about 4 hrs north of Toronto, and trust me, there is NO organic food places there. There is an occassional farmers' market about three times during the summer, but none of the farmers in that area really make an effort to go organic.

So any efforts for me will have to be put on hold until September at least!

Rice Cakes new
      #176267 - 05/03/05 02:48 PM
belinda

Wind:

Do you eat rice cakes made from white rice or brown rice? I have been unable to find one made of white rice and I got very sick once from one made of brown rice (Lunenberg's). I didn't even realize it was made of brown rice since it looked white! But of course I realized after I ate it and got an IBS attack!

If you have a good white organic one to recommend, please let me know.

Belinda

Retrograde/North Bay Organics new
      #176271 - 05/03/05 02:59 PM
belinda

Retrograde:

A quick search on www.canada411.ca suggests there might actually be some health food stores in North Bay, and where there are health food stores there could be some organics! (Who knows?!)

Check out the listings at http://canada411.yellowpages.ca/searchBusiness.do?action=homeSearch&start=1&srchtype=category&Se=smp&directoryId=093082&provinceId=ON&cityId=NORTHBAY&categoryName=&showMsgBox=1&what=health+food+stores&Dir=093082&sType=simpleSearch&step=find&categoryId=00666480&city=North+Bay

Re:So glad I'm not the only one new
      #176285 - 05/03/05 03:43 PM
susieannah

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: sussex, england

Im exactly the same eat a very limited amount of foods that I rotate every day, I;ve been doing this for 5 years! I plucked up the courage to make myself some banana bread last week, took me 2 days before I plucked up the courage to actually eat some, but I was fine infact I felt really good not bloated at all. Its no suprise we feel this way or have dodgy relationships with food because it ends up not being a pleasure you go through so many years of you eat, your ill, you starve , your ill, food becomes this enemy that makes you poorly. I'm totally in the same boat and just slowly trying to gee myself on.

#176504 - 05/04/05 09:11 AM
imp

Reged: 02/19/05
Loc: england

Hi i was glad to see i am not the only one surviving on the same foods.i am very under weight but as soon as i try to introduce new foods or up my intake bang thats it for three weeks,c beyond believe,and lose more weight.so heres a big hug coz i know you need it.love impxx

Re: Rice Cakes new
      #176507 - 05/04/05 09:44 AM
Wind

It's impossible to find an organic white rice cake--everyone else seems to be on a wholegrain kick. I usually buy Koyo rice cakes or Biona. They're less "seedy./rough" than Lunenberg's. However, in your situation, why risk an IBS attack? I like millet and Koyo has one that is combined with millet. But, the rice is still brown. You don't do corn, am I correct? A lot of rice cakes have corn or kamut and other things, too. The wild rice cakes, or wild rice in generally really triggers me. Cooked brown rice does a number on me, but I'm okay with the rice cakes--but then, I'm not one to go eat a whole package.

Re: Retrograde/North Bay Organics new
      #176531 - 05/04/05 10:39 AM
retrograde

Thanks for that Belinda! Unfortunatley most of those aren't *actually* health food stores, except for two (one of which is owned by a friend of our family actually) but mostly they just carry supplments and stuff. Oh well... thanks again though for the time taken!

Re:So glad I'm not the only one new
      #176573 - 05/04/05 12:52 PM
abby82

If you dont mind me asking, what are the foods that you have been eating for so long? I know exactly what you mean about being afraid to try the banana bread - Im just like this and when I do finally try something I eat a VERY tiny amount of what it is.

Re: Belinda new
      #176583 - 05/04/05 12:59 PM
abby82

Thanks for all your advice! I am going to Whole foods this week to buy some organic chicken and turkey so I can give it a try. I really hope that I can eat it because I miss it pretty bad right now! I do believe that eating organic is better and I definitely want to try to stick with it 100%
So how did you add in new foods after eating the same thing for so long? Did everything new make you sick at first? Do you just have to keep eating whatever it is until it doesnt make you sick anymore? I always avoid something after it makes me sick but I always wonder if I should've given it another try. Anyways, thanks for giving me your email address, I want to email you as soon as I get some more free time! Thanks again!

Re: Rice Cakes new
      #176587 - 05/04/05 01:06 PM
belinda

Yes, you're right ... I had better stay away from all those rice cakes! I got my last severe, painful IBS attack several years ago from taking just one bite out of a Lunenberg rice cake! I had eaten a little of it every day and I got the attack on the third day. That was before I discovered Heather's website and before I realized brown rice was unsafe for me. It took me two weeks to recover from that attack. I have no desire to repeat the episode!

The only rice I find I can tolerate is cooked organic white Basmati rice. I don't know why it agrees with me so well. Before that I tried other white rice, but got sick. I love the Basmati rice. I just had some for lunch today (with some turkey)!

A Food Story new
      #176616 - 05/04/05 01:49 PM
belinda

Abby:

By the time I discovered Heather's website, I had been battling IBS for 45 years. I had been diagnosed with IBS by two doctors previously, but I didn't understand what I had and I didn't have a clue (other than through my own miserable trials and tribulations) of how to deal with IBS.

Over those 45 years I became very fearful of food and I had narrowed down my diet to something akin to a prison diet! Well, let's just say it was very,very limited. I just ate what food I could manage to stay alive.

Initially (for months) after discovering Heather's website, I didn't add anything new into my diet. Instead, ironically I removed more foods -- those that Heather listed as triggers. It took me much, much longer to try some of the foods she said were safe. I had developed such a terrible fear of food over the years that I directly associated certain foods with the pain they would cause me if consumed and I literally wouldn't even consider putting them near my mouth (let alone eating them)! Those off-limit foods might as well have been a household cleaner or some other poison because my fear of certain foods was so great I would regard them as akin to poison because of the misery they would cause me if I ate them!

It took a great deal of courage for me to break that life-long way of thinking and try a new food knowing I could be opening myself up for yet another painful attack. I began with a very, very tiny (maybe a teaspoonful!) amount of the new food. I was so cautious that I waited a couple of days after trying that small amount before trying it again even though I had felt fine after the first time.

I also purchased both of Heather's books and began absorbing her rules for preparing food so that it would be safer. I think that's what surprised me the most. Up until I discovered Heather's website I always thought it was specific foods that triggered the attacks. What had never occurred to me was that some of those "bad" foods might be made safe to eat if prepared in a certain way or consumed with other specific foods (soluble fibre).

This precious knowledge has literally changed my life and allowed me slowly over time to expand my diet. As I say, at first I was very fearful, but over time I have been astounded at the good results! It is true there are some foods I have yet to try -- oatmeal, for example, but I take these things slowly since I still remember all the horrible painful attacks I've had going right back to early childhood.

So the bottom line is I totally understand your fear of food and your reluctance to expand your diet. What I want to tell you is that you have definitely arrived at the right website because Heather's diet rules are the only ones that I know of that truly are the right way to deal with IBS. The only thing is I do not subscribe to most of Heather's recipes because I wouldn't be able to tolerate certain ingredients in them. But I consider her diet rules second to none!

By the way, when I made Heather's banana bread for the first time, I ate about two crumbs of it on the second day and then grew too fearful to eat the rest! I made a second batch a week later and braved a half slice and then threw the rest out! By the time I made the third batch, I was slightly more confident (after all I had not gotten sick from my two previous adventures in trying the banana bread) so I ate more of it. Pretty pathetic on my part, but it's not easy overcoming a fear of food that is based on a litany of horrific painful attacks for more than four decades!

Also pathetic is the fact I bought some organic Twinings peppermint teabags on a trip to England two years ago and it took me a year to bravely bring out the first teabag and try it! (The expiry date had almost passed on the box!) Up until that point I had just drunk bottled water for as long as I could remember, and nothing else.

Write to me when you get a chance and I'll try and help you slowly expand your diet in a safe and sensible way, with lots of empathy for what you're going through.

Belinda

Re: Belinda/basmati... new
      #176628 - 05/04/05 02:05 PM
Wind

Why mess with what works best? Goodness knows how long it took for you to arrive at who you are today, and your health status!

I generally eat the same organic white basmati rice just about everyday. Why? Because it is the most agreeable. I often eat it more than once/day, too!

You've come a long way!

Best Wishes,
Kate (Wind).

#176667 - 05/04/05 06:49 PM
sherri23

Reged: 03/18/05
Loc: CA

I also eat a small variety of food. I think you need more protein turkey and chicken are safe. Also fish I can eat these without problems. Have you ever tried food emzymes they help alot. Sourdough bread is a great choice to eat before any meal. I know it can be trying at times and also boring. Oh egg whites are safe and a great source of protein Good Luck Sherri

Re:Abby ,So glad I'm not the only one new
      #177025 - 05/06/05 04:28 AM
susieannah

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: sussex, england

Abby this is by no means a recommendation!! But these are the foods I've been eating for the past five years and I'll probably get told off coz some of them are not too low fat but I haven't had D in a ages just get pains quite alot though.
Here goes!!

Crunchy Oat cereal with soya milk
Flapjacks
Haddock in breadcrumbs (no dairy in it)
Veggie nuggets (wheat protein ones)
Potatoe croquettes
White bread muffins with a little peanut butter
Banana bread (now I've tried it and I'm fine)
Pitta bread with soya cheese and marmite
Small amounts of dark chocolate
'Nice' biscuits (no dairy ones)
Lots of water
And finally, know its bad for me but the odd can of cherry tango or pepsi.

And yes that is the extent of my awful diet!!
Would like to try chicken but have got a mad phobia about eating it, after eating it once and being sick it wasn't the chicken had a bug but think I'm a bit of a mental case!! LOL
I dont know about you but my cupboards are full of things that I bought to try but never had the courage to do so bat the moment it contains:
Ready made polenta
Cous cous
Soy chocolate yoghurt type things!!

Believe me honey your not alone on this one!!

And yes I have a very sweet tooth!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1702 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16375

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review