Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Re: Thank you! new
      #176091 - 05/03/05 07:54 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Daliatree:

Thank you for your post! You are totally right! One needs to get back to pure and natural things in order to heal.

I worry about our conventional food supply. I hear increasingly scary things about it. Someone even recently told me that conventional, whole chickens sold the supermarket are just three weeks old!

If this is true (I hope it's not!), I shudder to think what sort of tampering (by food manufacturers) might have taken place with the chickens' natural growth to cause them to grow so big in such a short time. And goodness only knows what sort of tampering is taking place with the rest of our conventional food supply and what the consequences will be in the long run for those who eat that food.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

To Belinda or WInd new
      #176095 - 05/03/05 08:06 AM
FutureDoc

Reged: 04/02/04

I recently saw a nutritionist and she has me trying to eat organic whole foods. I am eating nothing processed and nothing with any sweetners. She is starting to convince me that thats the path to healing. Anyways.... I was just wondering what you guys eat in a typical day. Thanks in advance for your response!!

Re: Thank you! new
      #176096 - 05/03/05 08:08 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

Yep Yep Yep
I simply do not trust the so called authorities on this. I prefer to trust small organic farms who consist of people who are devoting their lives to growing clean food. The abuse of animals for the conventional meat industry is just appalling. If I cannot find organic eggs and organic chicken I am simply vegan. If more people took the trouble to learn about their food sources we would all be eating VERY differently, thats for sure. The places conventional food comes from is simply pukeworthy!

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Mealz new
      #176102 - 05/03/05 08:23 AM
belinda

I'm not sure what you mean by "whole foods." Do you mean whole wheat, etc. -- of course, whole wheat can cause IBS attacks.

I very much stick to Heather's diet rules in terms of my diet. The only thing I do differently is that I eat predominantly organic and I prepare 95 per cent of my own food (the few exceptions are bread which I buy from a good bakery, Organic Earth Balance buttery spread and babyfood fruit sauce).

I typically eat:

- a white bagel with Earth Balance and fruit sauce for breakfast,

- sandwiches made with Earth Balance, organic cooked turkey slices (no preservatives) and cooked mashed potatoes or yams depending on how hungry I am! (I have a sandwich every few hours)

- and for dinner I have skinless chicken, turkey or fish with Basmati white rice or potatoes and small (for some veggies like broccoli just a teaspoonful!) quantities of peeled/cut up cooked veggies that can include turnip, beets, carrots, brocolli, swiss chard, tomato, mushroom, green onion (sometimes), zucchini, green bean (yes, just one!), sweet red pepper, etc.

I drink room temperature bottled water and sometimes a hot cup of peppermint tea.

Re: Notadoctor/Wind's diet new
      #176115 - 05/03/05 08:52 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I do not eat "whole wheat."
By whole foods approach, or diet, I mean nothing processed...with a few organic exceptions, i.e."No Chicken broth," etc.
Breakfast cereal: generally puffed millet.
Organic fruits and veg. Generally pureed. Soups/smoothies
Grains...most days I eat white basmatie rice, or white jasmine rice; sometimes rice pasta (all organic).
I do use organic unsweetened applesauce.
If I eat a potatoe or sweet potatoe, it's organic. But I'm not a potatoe freak and nightshade foods irritate me.
Sea veg./spirulina powder/rice protein powder
Organic soy milk, almond milk

Seriously, though...my eating habits are variable...but because I work at home, it's easy for me to include a soup or something safe at home that is homemade or whip up a smoothie. Most days include a smoothie and soups. I do not eat cruciferous veg., or any allum (i.e. garlic, onions).
Rice cakes/crackers

I do not use any type of fat-free mayo or dressing, either.
I also do not use margarine (although Earth Balance is safe, as Belinda mentioned) as adding fats really aggravates my IBS. I do use dijon mustard, though and vinegar--organic and generally rice or cider, though sometimes balsalmic, umeboshi plum. There is no "mock-meat" in my fridge or freezer. I do use a little organic bean/legume...but only in purees and with sf.

No oats or anything really "brown" in my diet. Just plain old food that requires prep. No "bars;" no "microwavable cuisines;" I'm not a big baker.

Is that helpful? It sounds like my food tastes really "blah," however it really doesn't. Herbs, etc. really liven things up. I feel a little lost in this post, but you won't catch me eating food in a regular grocery aisle--does that help? And I need to know the source, i.e. organic food only. Nothing processed. NO LEFTOVERS either.

Yes, I'm picky.

Re: Wind/Organics new
      #176160 - 05/03/05 10:09 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hi Belinda

If I lived in the Toronto area I would probably be eating organic as it's so much easier to find stuff there. I go to school in London during the year, and after this September will probably be living here permanently for a while at least. London is not too bad for finding organic - there is a market here, but I went to check it out one day and almost passed out from the prices! I've been to organic markets in Toronto and these are much more expensive - it tarries to a much different market I think in in London than it does Toronto.

However there is also a food co-op here that has organic. I considered it at the beginning of the year but to make it cost-effective you really need to put some hours in working there like you said Belinda, which as a student who is also very involved with campus activities and who also works part time that wasn't really an option But I am making an effort to make my life less stressful next year by paring down on the activities I'm invovled with so that's definitely something to consider for September. Like I said, I'd love to eat organic if I could find a way to afford it.

Unfortunately the summer will be a total write-off - I'll be living in North Bay for most of the time, which is a smallish city about 4 hrs north of Toronto, and trust me, there is NO organic food places there. There is an occassional farmers' market about three times during the summer, but none of the farmers in that area really make an effort to go organic.

So any efforts for me will have to be put on hold until September at least!

Rice Cakes new
      #176267 - 05/03/05 02:48 PM
belinda

Wind:

Do you eat rice cakes made from white rice or brown rice? I have been unable to find one made of white rice and I got very sick once from one made of brown rice (Lunenberg's). I didn't even realize it was made of brown rice since it looked white! But of course I realized after I ate it and got an IBS attack!

If you have a good white organic one to recommend, please let me know.

Belinda

Retrograde/North Bay Organics new
      #176271 - 05/03/05 02:59 PM
belinda

Retrograde:

A quick search on www.canada411.ca suggests there might actually be some health food stores in North Bay, and where there are health food stores there could be some organics! (Who knows?!)

Check out the listings at http://canada411.yellowpages.ca/searchBusiness.do?action=homeSearch&start=1&srchtype=category&Se=smp&directoryId=093082&provinceId=ON&cityId=NORTHBAY&categoryName=&showMsgBox=1&what=health+food+stores&Dir=093082&sType=simpleSearch&step=find&categoryId=00666480&city=North+Bay

Re:So glad I'm not the only one new
      #176285 - 05/03/05 03:43 PM
susieannah

Reged: 02/13/05
Loc: sussex, england

Im exactly the same eat a very limited amount of foods that I rotate every day, I;ve been doing this for 5 years! I plucked up the courage to make myself some banana bread last week, took me 2 days before I plucked up the courage to actually eat some, but I was fine infact I felt really good not bloated at all. Its no suprise we feel this way or have dodgy relationships with food because it ends up not being a pleasure you go through so many years of you eat, your ill, you starve , your ill, food becomes this enemy that makes you poorly. I'm totally in the same boat and just slowly trying to gee myself on.

Re: Scared of food! new
      #176504 - 05/04/05 09:11 AM
imp

Reged: 02/19/05
Loc: england

Hi i was glad to see i am not the only one surviving on the same foods.i am very under weight but as soon as i try to introduce new foods or up my intake bang thats it for three weeks,c beyond believe,and lose more weight.so heres a big hug coz i know you need it.love impxx

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1505 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16532

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review