All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
What is everyone's ancestry nationality??
      #175310 - 04/30/05 11:30 AM
ToilettPrisoner

Reged: 02/20/05

Just curious.
Was reading an article that many GI/digestion problems are a natural result of ancestry.
*shrug*
The idea being that ok see Europeans farmed, ate lotsa bread and milks and spices and overall variety. So their systems got adjusted to change an all.
While ofcource say early American Indians, well some did farm, but they ate more of a diet Atkins would be proud of. I dunno if they even knew of bread and milk.
Many areas of the World just did not eat with the variety and milk/bread consumption that Europeans did and maybe some Mediterrean areas.

So I dunno whatcha think??

I'm mostly German Jew-desendant from Spanish Jews, American Indian Choctaw, and English. Funny thing I am mostly English. I do have some African and Irish in the mix.
So I guess ya never know what part of your ancestry will form your GI.
So much of me is English, but I get alotta my degestion issues and medical issues from my mom and she gets it from her mom whose mom was full blood Choctaw.

Makes sence.
Do you think Drs maybe onto somethin with this??
The idea being if they can pretty much prove this than that means certain nationalites may be carefull to give their kids too much variety, milk, spices, veggie variety etc.
And to do so maybe what messes them up later in life....kinda like when you know food allergies run in your family and you wanna err on the safe side then and not give your kids that.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I'm as Euro as they can get... new
      #175316 - 04/30/05 12:11 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

English, Irish, Welsh and Icelandic, predominantly...but there's a "Oui" bit of Francais in there too!!(sorry, I'm a canadian, quasi bilingual, and teach french too much!)

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: What is everyone's ancestry nationality?? new
      #175320 - 04/30/05 01:06 PM
Dr. Spice Yamin

Reged: 04/15/04
Loc: Maryland

I primarly german, austrian, polish and swedish.

I dunno if that means I should have D though. haha

--------------------

#175322 - 04/30/05 01:13 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

i am german-swedish-english-irish. i get the german from my mom and she had ibs growing up as well only she had ibs-D instead of ibs-C like me! i would guess i am more german though then swedish or english. only ibs has turned me onto the english tradition of tea! hehe

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Re: Ancestory new
      #175325 - 04/30/05 01:46 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I am of Eastern European descent--Polish, mostly...with a few drops of Ukranian/Russian.

#175332 - 04/30/05 02:13 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Half irish, half french. Have ibs and fibro on both sides of my family.

Any japanese or fins here? High rate of lactose intolerance in both those countries (something like 80%).

~nelly~

#175338 - 04/30/05 02:44 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

I read somewhere that IBS is almost unheard of in Asian countries. Something to do with how they eat lots of rice, fish and vegetables and don't have the fatty American diets that so many people here eat. Wonder if it's more diet by ethnicity than actually ancestry.

I'm as white as they get - part English, part Scottish.

Rosacea Too! new
      #175339 - 04/30/05 02:51 PM
sperry_twiggins

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Beautiful Pacific Northwest

I'm Irish/English.

Also have Rosacea (redness, acne-type stuff on face especially around nose & mouth - sun is major trigger) and researchers credit the same ancestral background as this article you've mentioned. Interesting.

sperry_twiggins

#175343 - 04/30/05 03:03 PM
kateL

Reged: 12/14/04
Loc: Camano Island, WA

I'm mostly Irish, little scot,french and german. Hey I had another idea about all this, I'm 43 and in the sixties many babies started solid food in the first two months. My mother was feeding me when I was four weeks old. We all know now that an infant is not fed solid food until they are much older. Anyone have thoughts about that?

#175352 - 04/30/05 03:29 PM
Kirksirishrose

Reged: 04/30/05
Loc: Michigan,USA

Irish!
I have often thought that ancestry had something to do with it also as I had read about Asians not having as much of this.

--------------------
Red Headed Irish Gal with a Tummy Ache
IBS-C

#175353 - 04/30/05 03:33 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I am Dutch with a little German thrown in on Dad's side. Mom's side is a melange...English, Scottish, German, French, etc. Dad, my older sister, and I all have messed up stomachs. Mom, on the other hand, has the cast iron stomach. So maybe they're on to something.

#175360 - 04/30/05 04:08 PM
Karen From Kansas

Reged: 07/29/04
Loc: Kansas, obviously

Strange, like many of you I am mostly German ancestry with English and Irish thrown in. (Red hair and all.) It seems like there are a lot of Irish folk!

--------------------
Karen from Kansas
IBS-C for 8 years

#175365 - 04/30/05 04:30 PM
lithelady

Reged: 08/15/03
Loc: Novato, CA

I definitelty think genetics contribute but.....since most everyone in US has so many diff ancestries mixed together in them, I don't think that it'll be possible to use this ancestry thing to help people. It just won't be clearcut enuf. But I think that it's certainly worthwhile for individuals to experiment with what works for them, using HVV's diet as a starting point and then testing diff "no-no foods' to see if they personally react to them. BIG problem with this approach is, who wants to risk having pain/C or D if they're doing well on HVV's diet????

--------------------
Many years of C-IBS and pain too for past 2 years-

Wow, that's unreal!! new
      #175403 - 04/30/05 09:32 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

So we Euros have whimpy systems, eh??? Hmmm....

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

#175419 - 05/01/05 05:15 AM
beacon1961

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Marlton, NJ

I am German, Irish and Italiano.

Mary

--------------------
It only takes a few committed people to change the world!

#175420 - 05/01/05 05:23 AM
beacon1961

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Marlton, NJ

Interestingly they credit the celiac-gluten intolerance to European background-Italians have a very high rate.

But the IBS and GI problems are all over my dad's family-He's German and Irish.

Mary

--------------------
It only takes a few committed people to change the world!

#175429 - 05/01/05 06:18 AM
kidsx4

Reged: 04/02/05
Loc: Fairfax, VA

German and Polish....the tummy woes are strictly from the Polish side of the family. The Germans seem to be able to eat anything and everything without any trouble.

celiac connection new
      #175435 - 05/01/05 06:53 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

The rate of Celiac's for Irish and Italians is much higher I understand. In fact I wondered why they even bothered testing me. I am a quarter Swedish and a quarter Norwegian and half French Canadian with a little Native American on that side.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Katel, and all.... new
      #175509 - 05/01/05 12:51 PM
ToilettPrisoner

Reged: 02/20/05

How neat is this, eh???
Had no idea so many of us were so very European-ish.
Can't be sheer coincidence although ofcource most of us Euro's ended up in countries with rich variety and fatty foods, versus ofcource Asians and many others Ethinic backgrounds that stayed relatively in their region and/or consuming their native foods only.

Our taste and eating begins in the womb.
We swallow our amniotic fluid which for the most part is actually our urine...yum...because swallowing is more practice then than eating.
But we taste our mothers meals and get some of it's bacteria in the fluid we swallow.
It's the real reason the French can love their bland (by American standards) foods whereas the Mexians can love their spicy foods.....because we grow used to our culteral flavor from the womb, we in a sence are swimming in and swallowing flavor even then.

Breastmilk really boosts that.
With each swallow we taste the flavor of every moms meal and get a big dose of the needed bacteria too, which prepares our tummy to eat the food for the next oh 100yrs or so.

It's why kids in 3rd World countries do, well somewhat ok on their uncooked dirty water meals, well because they got the needed immunity and stomach bacteria through mom. Their tummies are ready, ours are not and we get sick as dogs after one sip of their water.

The longer baby is nursed the more helpfull bacteria, immunity and tummy preparation she gets!
The fact that the USA is horrible about early weaning, forumula and early solid introduction is asking for trouble.
Formula for babies today is pretty well made...but still comes from Cow or soy.
Cows are making milk to nourish calves who'll only eat grass....therefore they give a human baby's tummy little preparation to eat our diet. They are only getting the useless bacteria needed to digest grass, that you see exit in their dark brown stools!

Weaning before 6mos, and giving solids before 4mos also aids in the problem
BUT I should add that I was nursed my first 13mos, never had solids till I was 10mos old...so you never know.
My mom tho, born in '54 was given only evaporated pure Cows milk as a baby with added sugar! *gasp* She has IBS-D off the charts most of her life!

So all your IBSers here pleeeease breastfeed your babies, I've nursed mine for 16mos so far. I wanna give her tummy it's best chance of not getting IBS!

So lol yes Katel, you are onto somethin.
But overall more research is needed, I'd love to know why I got it despite being nursed. I never even got cows milk till I was 2, and most of my childhood I had Goats milk actually.
I do agree an Asian or Meditterean diet is very good. We Americans are so on the wrong path with food! :P

Re: Katel, and all.... new
      #175511 - 05/01/05 01:02 PM
kateL

Reged: 12/14/04
Loc: Camano Island, WA

Hey, Never thought about the en Utero thing! I just know in the sixties fat babies were considered healthy babies. Breast feeding was not encouraged as much. I only was breast feed for several weeks due to my mother getting mastitis.She feed me cereal(baby goop) at four weeks. I know the digestive tracts are not fully developed for this. When I had my daughter seven years ago, she was trying to push the cereal thing on her. My daughter could only tolerate soy formula. I couldn't breast feed. My daughter seems to have a normal BM without all the fuss. Any other baby boomers have the early feeding situation? Maybe doesn't matter though since there are younger ibs sufferers.

#175525 - 05/01/05 01:58 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Canadian by a handful of generations, but before that mostly "purely" (ahem) English with some French and a little bit of Scottish and maybe Irish (that would account for all the red hair in our family?) too.

Not sure how useful this stuff is because it's so hard to really determine accurately and because for most people living in the US or Canada now it's so far removed from any lifestyle choices that might affect it.

On the breastfeeding note, I was breastfed a long time (my mom was a hippie ) - until I was 3, and I never had any infant formula. I had cow's milk as a toddler for a bit but my parents quickly discovered that I was allergic to it and I've never had it since. From all perspectives I had a very natural and very healthy childhood - and I still have IBS I have had mild stomach problems all my life (from colic as an infant) but it really "exploded" (lol, sorry) around age 19-20 for me, just a year or two ago now.

I am half-Japanese....I have occasional "C" and my sister has "D"! Go figure...~nt~ new
      #175610 - 05/02/05 05:14 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

I'm a real Brit. new
      #175668 - 05/02/05 08:29 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

My Mum's side is all English (and her Mum has IBS and GERDs) and my Dad's side is mainly Scottish, but with a bit of English, Welsh and Irish thrown in. So I guess I don't fit that pattern!

#175687 - 05/02/05 08:51 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

I'm pretty much 50% German, 25% Irish and 25% Scottish. I'd heard that German people have virtually no digestive problems, which explains why my Dad (the Irish and Scottish contributor) has a mild version of IBS and I have the whopping version.

Any Irish-Scottish people here?

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

#175692 - 05/02/05 09:02 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

My ancestors are from Poland and Russia. And I'm Jewish on all sides. And everyone in my fam has some kind of tummy prob (at least all the women do).

I've been told many a time before that Ashkenazic jews are liekly to have tummy troubles.

So interesting...fab post!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

I'm half Irish! :) -nt- new
      #175745 - 05/02/05 10:33 AM
Nelly

~nelly~

Asians and IBS-- Just the opposite! new
      #175746 - 05/02/05 10:39 AM
Nelly

Most Asians have IBS, hence the dairy-free diets in asian countries. It's something like 80%. (Finland too).

~nelly~

#175780 - 05/02/05 11:58 AM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

I am Jewish, descended from Hungarians, Polish, and Russians. My father loves talking about how his grandparents were Hungarian.

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

#175795 - 05/02/05 12:22 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

great question! My father is Jewish with family descending from Poland, Germany, Hungary and Czecoslovakia (all the borders were changing during the world wars so lets just say eastern europe!) and my dad was born in Israel (his parents got out of europe just before Hitler killed them) before the State was created!
My mother is pure pure Irish, for many generations. She converted to Judaism so I am a real mongrel!!! I look very irish, but as I get older am starting to resemble my dad more.
My parents and three brothers have perfect bowels, I am a real black sheep with this, though I recently found out that my fathers mother had IBS A (like me) and she was an ashkenazic Jew, so go figure. Shame I can't talk to her since she died ages ago, but apparently she would have never discussed it...lots of people just suffered in silence with these problems. Poor thing. My aunt told me that my grandma always had C and then took a lot of senna leaf and was never the same again (turned into terrible A)...it was quite reassuring to find out recently that it could have been my grandma that passed this to me...I felt less alone.

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#175851 - 05/02/05 02:20 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Mostly German.

#175859 - 05/02/05 02:38 PM
Shell Marr

Reged: 08/04/03
Loc: Seattle, WA USA

Spanish, Filipino, English, Norwegian

--------------------
www.facebook.com/shell.marr

www.myspace.com/shellmarr

#175863 - 05/02/05 02:43 PM
gategoddess

Reged: 05/28/04

Irirs, Belgian & Polish

Antoinette

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated" Gandhi

#175890 - 05/02/05 03:24 PM
Amy1973

Reged: 09/17/04
Loc: Mesa,AZ

I have Irish/English,German and about an 1/8 Cherokee.

#175900 - 05/02/05 03:51 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Shell! I didn't know you had filipino blood in you! My husband is half filipino. Tried my pancit recipe?

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#175910 - 05/02/05 04:28 PM
LittleLisa

Reged: 06/22/04
Loc: USA

Mostly Irish and some German.........

--------------------
~~~Lisa~~~

#175911 - 05/02/05 04:33 PM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

Mostly German with a bit of Scotch-Irish on my dad's mom's side. All of my great-grandparents, and one of my grandparents were/are immigrants to the US and dunno any family history past them....nor do I know anything about how I was brought up as a baby

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

#176279 - 05/03/05 03:13 PM
cailin

Reged: 08/12/04
Loc: Dublin, Ireland

All Irish
All four of my grandparents even come from the same county in Ireland.

although some side way back of my maternal grandmother's family may have Scots links I think, and my paternal family way way way like 1000 years back were French I think...So I am a Euro-Celt definitey

--------------------
S.

Not trying to pry but since you mentioned it......... new
      #176352 - 05/03/05 08:15 PM
lithelady

how come you can't find out anything about how you were raised as a child?

Also, your activity level in your bio is impressive! How do you do all of these activities plus your studies and still manage your IBS? Does being so busy aggravate your IBS? Hope you don't mind my asking, but I'm always trying to learn how to live with this problem more productively for myself, as well as for others whom I help with it.
Thanks, LL

--------------------

Re: Not trying to pry but since you mentioned it......... new
      #176413 - 05/04/05 06:23 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

It's ok....my parents originally put me up for adoption when I was born, but then got me back, so I don't know anything about when I was really little, like whether I was breastfed or what formula I had or when I was put on solid food.

How do I do all that stuff? I wonder myself sometimes...I make sure I always get at least 8 hours of sleep a night, I follow Heather's diet as strictly as I can (I do have HFCS occasionally in stuff, but I seem to do ok with it), and I manage my time the best I can so that I can get enough sleep. I work part time on campus, so I can do some of my homework then, leaving my evenings for meetings and spending time with my bf. I've also maxed out my credits for so many terms, there's less and less I can take, so I'm not taking as many credits of classes this term as previous terms, which has been soooo nice. Feel free to ask me anything though, I love answering questions, so ask either here or send me an email, I check my email a ton and will get back to you as soon as I can!

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Mine is.. new
      #176418 - 05/04/05 06:29 AM

Unregistered

..German, French, and English all the way.

Sometimes I do wonder if there is a link to all of that. I heard that somewhere too.

I'm a mix of Irish, German, and English. -nt- new
      #176461 - 05/04/05 07:36 AM
Tissy

Reged: 07/15/04
Loc: Baltimore, MD

--------------------
Christie
~Hoping and Praying for Sleep!~

#176462 - 05/04/05 07:40 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Mostly French, German and Irish, a little ducth or scottish in there also, pretty much a mute!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#176463 - 05/04/05 07:44 AM
mindyj

Reged: 05/14/04
Loc: Northern Virginia

Ancestory: Mom's side - Irish and German
Dad's side - Portugese and French and Japanese
I also remember that my doctor asked me about this when he took my history during my cd diagnosis. Jews of Eastern European dissent (especially males) are about 5 times more likely than the general population to develop Crohn's.
I also know that I was breast fed forever when I was little. My mother has told me that she had first intended to breast feed me for only the first six months or so, but then I never took a bottle. I went from breast feeding to a sippy cup at somewhere between 1 and 2 years old. I was also vegetarian for the first four years of my life. We were seventh day adventist at the time, so the whole family didn't eat meat (much to my father's dismay - he was so glad when we moved and couldn't find a 7th day adventist church in the next town and became Baptist instead!). My mother is extremely health conscius though and so that's helped me develop healthy habits as well.

Re: I'm a mix of Irish, German, and English. Me too! -nt- new
      #176468 - 05/04/05 07:55 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

--------------------
Janey

#176499 - 05/04/05 08:58 AM
arcangel

Reged: 04/26/05
Loc: NY

In order of the most to the least: My Mom is Irish, Italian, English, French, German and My Dad is Hungarian and English. I mostly take after the Irish/English and a little Hungarian.

Re: Not trying to pry but since you mentioned it......... new
      #176705 - 05/04/05 10:22 PM
lithelady

Thanks Melissa, I'll be in touch soon. I'm headed on the road for a 12 day cross-country trip for business so once I get to EAst coast I'll send an e-mail. You sound like an organized and high energy lady plus smart. Good for you for being ALL of this despite having the IBS, it's impressive!!

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 628 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23482

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review