All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: What is everyone's ancestry nationality?? new
      #175525 - 05/01/05 01:58 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Canadian by a handful of generations, but before that mostly "purely" (ahem) English with some French and a little bit of Scottish and maybe Irish (that would account for all the red hair in our family?) too.

Not sure how useful this stuff is because it's so hard to really determine accurately and because for most people living in the US or Canada now it's so far removed from any lifestyle choices that might affect it.

On the breastfeeding note, I was breastfed a long time (my mom was a hippie ) - until I was 3, and I never had any infant formula. I had cow's milk as a toddler for a bit but my parents quickly discovered that I was allergic to it and I've never had it since. From all perspectives I had a very natural and very healthy childhood - and I still have IBS I have had mild stomach problems all my life (from colic as an infant) but it really "exploded" (lol, sorry) around age 19-20 for me, just a year or two ago now.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I am half-Japanese....I have occasional "C" and my sister has "D"! Go figure...~nt~ new
      #175610 - 05/02/05 05:14 AM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

I'm a real Brit. new
      #175668 - 05/02/05 08:29 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

My Mum's side is all English (and her Mum has IBS and GERDs) and my Dad's side is mainly Scottish, but with a bit of English, Welsh and Irish thrown in. So I guess I don't fit that pattern!

#175687 - 05/02/05 08:51 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

I'm pretty much 50% German, 25% Irish and 25% Scottish. I'd heard that German people have virtually no digestive problems, which explains why my Dad (the Irish and Scottish contributor) has a mild version of IBS and I have the whopping version.

Any Irish-Scottish people here?

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

#175692 - 05/02/05 09:02 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

My ancestors are from Poland and Russia. And I'm Jewish on all sides. And everyone in my fam has some kind of tummy prob (at least all the women do).

I've been told many a time before that Ashkenazic jews are liekly to have tummy troubles.

So interesting...fab post!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

I'm half Irish! :) -nt- new
      #175745 - 05/02/05 10:33 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

~nelly~

Asians and IBS-- Just the opposite! new
      #175746 - 05/02/05 10:39 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Most Asians have IBS, hence the dairy-free diets in asian countries. It's something like 80%. (Finland too).

~nelly~

#175780 - 05/02/05 11:58 AM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

I am Jewish, descended from Hungarians, Polish, and Russians. My father loves talking about how his grandparents were Hungarian.

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

#175795 - 05/02/05 12:22 PM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

great question! My father is Jewish with family descending from Poland, Germany, Hungary and Czecoslovakia (all the borders were changing during the world wars so lets just say eastern europe!) and my dad was born in Israel (his parents got out of europe just before Hitler killed them) before the State was created!
My mother is pure pure Irish, for many generations. She converted to Judaism so I am a real mongrel!!! I look very irish, but as I get older am starting to resemble my dad more.
My parents and three brothers have perfect bowels, I am a real black sheep with this, though I recently found out that my fathers mother had IBS A (like me) and she was an ashkenazic Jew, so go figure. Shame I can't talk to her since she died ages ago, but apparently she would have never discussed it...lots of people just suffered in silence with these problems. Poor thing. My aunt told me that my grandma always had C and then took a lot of senna leaf and was never the same again (turned into terrible A)...it was quite reassuring to find out recently that it could have been my grandma that passed this to me...I felt less alone.

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#175851 - 05/02/05 02:20 PM
Sara-Sage

Reged: 02/04/04

Mostly German.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 227 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23485

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review