All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
The dreaded cheese question...
      #174167 - 04/26/05 09:55 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

I hate to even post this...I know "the cheese question" is a sensitive issue right now.

But, I'm driving 70 miles this weekend to see about shopping in a "real" HFS, so I'm hoping to get some input before then.

When I first learned about the no dairy rule, I bought Galaxy Veggie Slices (as suggested on the brand list). I thought they were fine, about as good as any plastic wrapped slice cheese, but I've never been that fond of the individual slices of cheese idea anyways. The next trip to the store, I bought Galaxy Veggie Shreds (like shredded cheese). I like them pretty well, they don't melt quite the same, but they are fine.

I am still having allot of D, so I've been going through *everything* I eat, reading the book to check for misunderstanding, and re-checking the ingredients of my "safe" foods. Well, lo and behold if my "Veggie Shreds" aren't made from milk! Not even why and casein (which was why I was checking because I wasn't sure if I might have bought them before I understood that) but Skim Milk, Skim Milk solids, etc. So, basically, it is just bad tasting dairy cheese!

I know that just "lactose free" cheese isn't enough. But these were "Veggie Shreds"--"Nature's Alternative to Dairy". Maybe I was confused, but I thougth Galaxy was a vegan company? Surely I must just be wrong on this... I don't have any of the packaged slices left. Does anyone know if they were safe?

I have to admit, I'm baffled as to why a product like that would be made so fully from dairy. I mean, who are they helping? Who is there coustomer base? (Probably confused people, like me... ).

So, my question is--are there any brands of truly safe Soy Cheese or Rice Cheese? I did a search, and most people have brands they like, but mention that they have small amounts of casein. I'm eliminating that right now, to see if it makes a difference, so I'm looking for any brand suggestions that are truly 100% safe.

At least point, I'm willing to give up my cheese. (Wow...never thought I would be saying that). But since I am going to the HFS in the city--taking the cooler and all, this might be my only opportunity to try some if I am going to.

Thanks for your patience with this question.

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The dreaded cheese question... new
      #174181 - 04/26/05 10:40 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Quote:

I hate to even post this...I know "the cheese question" is a sensitive issue right now. lol!

I know that just "lactose free" cheese isn't enough. But these were "Veggie Shreds"--"Nature's Alternative to Dairy". Maybe I was confused, but I thougth Galaxy was a vegan company? Surely I must just be wrong on this... I don't have any of the packaged slices left. Does anyone know if they were safe? They have another brand "Galaxy Vegan," which I've only seen in our local health food store. Oh, it's also sold under the Soymage/Soyco label--look for purple packaging. See more info below...

So, my question is--are there any brands of truly safe Soy Cheese or Rice Cheese? I did a search, and most people have brands they like, but mention that they have small amounts of casein. I'm eliminating that right now, to see if it makes a difference, so I'm looking for any brand suggestions that are truly 100% safe. I've given up casein too, and my symptoms have improved. However, I've also given up products, usually dairy alternatives and canned soup (Progresso), with the additive carrageenan--which can be an IBS trigger. I'm also IBS-D and I think giving up both has made a tremendous difference. It's been hard to find cheese and ice cream alternatives without either ingredient. So far I've found Galaxy Vegan/SoyCo Vegan Parmesan (this company is so confusing)and their soy cream cheese to be good and I prefer it to the Tofutti brand. Here's a link to Galaxy Vegan so you know what the products look like.

At least point, I'm willing to give up my cheese. (Wow...never thought I would be saying that). But since I am going to the HFS in the city--taking the cooler and all, this might be my only opportunity to try some if I am going to. Ooh! That sounds like fun. I hope you find a lot of safe and delicious goodies. Have a safe trip!

Ahh yeah, the soy cheese issue new
      #174184 - 04/26/05 10:53 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'll be totally honest, I haven't found a brand of soy/rice/whatever cheese that's completely vegan. I know they do exist, but most of the popular brands (SoyaKaas, the Galaxy products, etc) do at least contain some dairy derivatives, which give them "texture" (I use that lightly, because goodness knows soy cheese doesn't have the same texture as real cheese).

Your best bet, since you'll be going to the HFS anyway, is to read the labels. Someone may pop in with some brand recommendations for you, but the totally vegan ones I've found have been lesser-known small brands that I'd never seen mentioned, so it may be best to just see for yourself.

Good luck! I pretty much just gave up cheese, personally... I just find the soy stuff pretty funky, heh.

Veggie doesn't equal vegan new
      #174194 - 04/27/05 02:15 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Most normal cheese can contain animal products so strict veggies look for cheeses that specifically say they are veggie...that's probably where your confusion came in.

I've found rice "cheese" that was vegan but it was disgusting...and all the soy cheeses I could find had casein in them. So I don't do any cheese really...now I'm stable I do *occasionally* cheat and have some real cheese (casein makes me a bit ill anyway, so what's the difference! ).

Good luck. JUst read all the labels and ask for help if you need it.

Re: Veggie doesn't equal vegan new
      #174307 - 04/27/05 08:14 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Casein is not an ingredient in the Galaxy Vegan products and it claims to be dairy free on the packaging. However, the Galaxy Veggie brand is a completely different matter.

I agree, there are no soy, almond, or rice cheeses that taste good AND are dairy free. Weep. But really, the "vegan parmesan alternative" from Galaxy is safe, and I like how it tastes on cooked veggies and pasta. So, it's a small victory for me in the world of dairy alternatives.

Re: The dreaded cheese question... new
      #174356 - 04/27/05 09:42 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Quote:

I hate to even post this...I know "the cheese question" is a sensitive issue right now.

You're very brave!

Not for your shopping trip, but down the line you might take a look at the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook. It was recommended to me by a couple of vegan friends.

I have to admit I've never looked at it - cheese is not a big deal for me - but as I understand it, the idea is that you can make stuff that tastes like various cheeses from non-dairy ingredients. My friends actually gave me a couple of recipes: one for Port Wine Uncheese which uses pinto beans, non-alcoholic red wine, miso, and tahini; and one for Boursin Cheeze which uses tofu, vegan mayo, plum paste, garlic, and lots of different herbs. I haven't tried them, but if you're interested in either, let me know and I'll post them on the Recipe Board. Also, the Barnes and Noble page I link to above mentions Cheddar Cheeze sauce and a gooey grilled cheeze sandwhich.

HTH. Enjoy your shopping trip.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Veggie doesn't equal vegan new
      #174364 - 04/27/05 09:55 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

I can't remembe the brand, but I do buy a rice mozzerella cheese that is pretty ok. It actually melts like regular cheese so I can make "pizzas" with it! I'm not sure if it has any casein in it or not! I called hubby at home to have him check the label and we through the package away and just have it in a baggie! It was a small, squarish brick and we shred it ourselves! I know it gets expensive but the best thing to do it just try a few different brands to see what tastes the best!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

There's a thread on the Recipe Board about a vegan cheese ... new
      #174416 - 04/27/05 12:15 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Here's the link

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2618 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 795

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review