All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Catch 22, Water and Bloating
      #174032 - 04/26/05 05:05 PM
notadocter

Reged: 04/26/05

I guess most people don't have this problem, because I found zero information here on this category.
I'm really having a difficult time with bloating, one of the areas, and there are many, that seem to cause bloating is water consumption and sweating.

I drink water, stomach bloated. It's annoying and it's making me this close to punching my stomach, because I can't put up with the bloating, and I have to drink water too.

I need to be drinking a gallon of water a day, but I can barely drink 8 oz before I get bloated.
I have stopped drinking at meals, I have spread out the water, nothing changes, I drink water, I get bloated.
I don't drink water, I get thirsty, and bloated too.
Someone help me out.
I have to drink water, for the amount of exercise I do I need a gallon of water, at the same time, I can't take the bloated stomach.
I look like I have a 5 pound ball in my stomach, the whole reason I exercise is to look good, and I can't take off my shirt because despite being 15 pounds skinny I am bloated still.

I stopped drinking sink water, I bought premium water, no difference.
Do I have stop drinking all liquid?

Why do I get bloated with water, how can I drink water and not be bloated and why do I get bloated when I sweat and how can I sweat and not be bloated, I can't avoid these two like I can dairy. Your help is greatly requested, danke.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Catch 22, Water and Bloating new
      #174035 - 04/26/05 05:12 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

First, make sure you are not chugging the water, as that will cause you to gulp air. If you are drinking it out of a sports bottle, maybe try drinking it out of a cup, so you'll gulp less air. Also make sure you are drinking it at room temperature. The water certainly should not be making you bloated. The ibs-related bloat we all suffer is generally from trapped gas, not from a full bladder. Water is a natural diuretic, so it should theoretically cut down on bloating. Also consider replacing some of your plain water intake with fennel tea, which is effective against bloating. All fluid counts as water, even tea, so this will not add to how much water you already need to drink. You have mentioned that you are trying to put on weight. I am wondering if you are taking any supplements that might be causing you to bloat, such as a protien shake or bar or something? Check the ingredients carefully.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#174041 - 04/26/05 05:24 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I'm not a doctor either, so I don't know why you're having this problem. I'm curious, though, about a couple of things. So I have some questions for you:

1. Do you gulp the water when you drink it?

2. Are you swallowing a lot of air when you exercise (so then it wouldn't be sweating, but working out and sucking in extra air that triggers it)? This can happen even when you anxious/tense and your breathing changes.

3. How much does the bloating expand your waist or abdomen? Have you thought about measuring your abdomen when you're not bloating and then when you're bloated, just so you have some concrete evidence that you are extremely bloated?

4. Do you have any physical pain along with the bloating? Any other IBS symptoms (such as D or C)?

5. What happens or when does your bloating go away? After you urinate, have a BM, or pass gas? Or do you go to bed bloated and then wake up normal?

6. Have you tried Phayzme or Gas-X? Does it help?

7. What does your doctor/s have to say about it? If you don't think they know enough to help, have you thought about getting a second or third opinion?

I hope you can get some relief soon!

Yeah I'd echo what Amanda said... new
      #174045 - 04/26/05 05:36 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

This has been discussed before, but no worries

It's not the water itself but the act of drinking it that causes the bloat...lol that doesn't help much does it?

I drink about 2-3 L of water a day (not sure how much that is in gallons?) and this is how I do it...
- no water within 1 hr of eating
- NO CHUGGING - I always have water by me and I'm sipping it constantly (except after meals )
- no cold water, ever - all the water I drink is at room temperature or warmer
- herbal teas count as water, so I sip a lots of hot cups of that each day - very easy on the tummy, and it can help with bloating too, like fennel as Amanda mentioned

There was recently a discussion too about exercise/sweating and bloating - some people find that they bloat right after or during exercise or when they're sweating.

Just a quick question (and just ignore this if you have no idea what I'm talking about ) - but you didn't used to post on this board under another screen name, did you?

also try yoga new
      #174062 - 04/26/05 06:14 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Check out if there are any yoga classes at your gym. Lots of people have found it extremely helpful for gas -- plus it's a good way to build muscle and flexibility.

You also seem really tense and upset over this whole thing. You do know it's not good for IBS, right? I URGE you to check out the hypnotherapy CDs. They are extremely helpful in reducing anxiety.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

#174069 - 04/26/05 06:25 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Look, I am bloated a lot of the time. Particularly if I don't get to sit down and eat meals at the appropriate times. People have given you a lot of ways that you can work to alleviate it, but there IS NO MIRACLE CURE. Unfortunately, your insistence that people solve all of your IBS problems when they can't make themselves well is irritating people. We deal with this everyday. We make sacrifices to feel better. We bloat. We get diarrhea. We get constipation. We get gas. We get nauseous. Heather's diet works brilliantly for some, not perfectly for others. There is no pill that will make it go away. People are happy to help, but there is no one solution that will solve all of your problems. I'm sorry.

#174159 - 04/26/05 09:33 PM
notadocter

I actually heard that the pill I am taking now and some other pill at the health food stores does in fact get rid of Irritable Bowel Syndrome, I forgot what it was. I can't have this where my body is constantly undergoing flucations from looking mildly boated to 8 months about to give birth, I can't have the constant tansformation and deformation.

Re: also try yoga new
      #174160 - 04/26/05 09:35 PM
notadocter

I dunno, I'll think about yoga. As for stressing, I for months decided not to worry about Irritable Bowel Syndrome, I said forget it, and nothing changed. Granted, I ate a lot of bad foods then, but nonethless, you tell me, when you have been in the gym for years, and you can't take your shirt off because you look bloated, how are you supposed to be?

Re: Yeah I'd echo what Amanda said... new
      #174162 - 04/26/05 09:44 PM
notadocter

I couldn't find that topic on sweating and bloating, could you show me where it is?
I have no clue how I am going to sip a gallon of water a day, this is one moneumetual challenge.
Do you know when I get bloated, it impairs my ability to move like a normal person, the bloating make me hunch, and decreases how much I can move? This must come to an end, I can't function.

#174166 - 04/26/05 09:54 PM
notadocter

1. I don't gulp it, I drink it slowly.

2. Oddly, I don't get bloated when I sweat from exercise. I get bloated when I sweat from doing other things, anything, besides exercises, so if I am mowing the lawn and sweating, I get bloated, moving furniture, I get bloated, but exersising, no. I don't know why this happens.

3. I haven't measured, but the pressure and waist expand by a significant portion.

4. Not really.

5. Going to the bathroom relieves it momentairly, then the bloating resumes. When I wake up in the morning, I wake up that way.

6. No, I started Digestive Advantage this week and take lactaid pills. I have taken beano, benefiber, citrucell, and metamucell, nothing, are these really worth the effort.

7. I went to a doctor who referred me to an Irritable Bowel Syndrome doctor. In all honestly, this board has been 10 times as helpful, the doctor never returns calls and when I do talk with him, he rushes me. Medical coverage blows, sorry for the language but it is. He is useless, never any help with this. All the doctors are booked, it's hard to get any good medical assistance.

Any ideas as to why I get bloated from drinking water and sweating, but not frome exercising, more importantly what I can do to stop it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 700 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2986

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review