Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Re: Can Pure Honey and Other Foods Cause Bloating? new
      #174018 - 04/26/05 04:44 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

"I have followed it about 75% which I figure should be solid."

Nope. When you first start the diet, you must really adhere to it 100% or you will not get better. I was totally strict for about a year. Now that I am stable, I can get away with some cheats like nuts or raw fruit, but I'd die if I ate an unsafe chocolate cake. If you are not following the diet whole-heartedly, you are cheating yourself out of a chance to feel better.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#174021 - 04/26/05 04:46 PM
notadocter

Reged: 04/26/05

What about probiotic pills, if those work couldn't I cheat with those?

#174030 - 04/26/05 05:02 PM
AmandaPanda, J.D.

Reged: 04/26/04
Loc: New York, New York

Not likely. You really need to get your bloating under control before you can start playing around. Any those of us who "cheat" generally stay away from really severe triggers like dairy. You need to take this seriously if you are going to feel better -- otherwise you are just restricting your diet to an inconvenient level but not actually accomplishing anything. It's pretty much all or nothing.

--------------------
Amanda

I live in the Big Apple, but I don't eat the skin

Yup, 'fraid so... new
      #174043 - 04/26/05 05:29 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Nothing less than 100% will cut it, if you really want to get stable. And I'd wager that that chocolate cake you had last night is playing a HUGE role in today's bloating. The only way to manage IBS is to do it with diet and lifestyle changes, not for a few weeks but permanently - sadly there is no magic drug that will let you safely eat anything you want, and there isn't a cure But you CAN manage it - and this diet is the best way that I've found yet.

Miracle Whip Light or Fat Free are generally ok, again in VERY SMALL amounts. Just check the fat content (of EVERYTHING!)

PS If you're looking for some discussions on gaining muscle on this diet, check out the fitness board, there are a few of us there with the same goals.

Re: Yup, 'fraid so... new
      #174173 - 04/26/05 10:11 PM
notadocter

Reged: 04/26/05

I'll do it, but the last thing I want is to sacrifice and not get better. I am in tears right now because of the bloating. Do you know people have asked me in public why I hold my stomach, and that I now am missing out on events because of my stomach? Yes, it's be easier to follow the diet, but I mean I am eating better now then I was a month ago, and the problem remains. If I give up more foods, and I still have weeks of bloating that would be worse, I am skeptical, but you're correct. I drank peppermint today, it helped me for 20 minutes, then it went back to the way it was, flucating bloating.
How long does it take to get stable, and what do you mean by stable, no bloating and a consistant body shape?

I heard there was a pill at the health stores you could buy that does a lot of help and the Digestive Advantage Irritable Bowel Syndrome pill I started this week are too, provided you stay off dairy.

Re: Yup, 'fraid so... new
      #174177 - 04/26/05 10:24 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I'm really sorry you're feeling so bad right now {HUGS}, BUT the fact that you're getting such good results with the diet so soon is a really good sign! For the peppermint tea - glad to hear it helped! You might try drinking herbal teas - peppermint, chammomile and fennel are all really good choices here - all day long, as in 4 or 5 cups a day, and this may over a few days start to help prevent the bloating to some degree. Worth a try anyway.

When people say they are stable on these boards they usually mean that they are not having D or C or pain, and some mean that they are bloat free too. However even stable people occassionally get bloated - but certainly not constantly. Generally people's definition of their own stability is some level of normalcy, like you didn't have IBS (although you obviously still have to keep following all diet and lifestyle stuff).

Do a search for Digestive Advantage - it's come up a lot simply because it's so appealing and promising as a "cure". Unfortunatley it's no wonder drug - just a probiotic and a digestive enzyme. It would probably help as much as taking those two things separately would (and people definitely do find help with those things) - but it's not a cure.

Rather those who are stable (and I would consider myself pretty much stable at this point) got there with a combination of things: diet, stress management, medications for some, soluble fiber supplements, plus enzymes, probiotics, herbs etc. How long does it take? It's taken me about a year. It takes some people less time, some people more. However while I'm on my way to stability now, I did see progressively positive results after a few weeks and as long as I stayed strict with the diet things just keep getting better.

These are your signs that it's working, remedies for your skepticism. We KNOW that IBS can be terrible and embarassing and cause you to miss out on social events. How do we know? By the very fact that you are on an IBS discussion board you should simply assume that we all know what you're going through because we're all going through it too.

And we're dealing with it. If you're looking for a miracle cure, you need to change your outlook or you will never be satisfied. Instead, rejoice in the small gains you make each day - in those 20 mins you felt great today, and each day those 20 mins will grow until soon you'll have whole days when you feel good. Don't consider it a sacrifice - you'll only fail if you look at it that way. Consider it doing something really good for your body and your body will give you results.

I can't make any promises here obviously and clearly this all depends on you - your commitment to this and your willingness to change. And in that I wish you all the best of luck.

Re: Retrogade new
      #174183 - 04/26/05 10:50 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

That's such an eloquent and compassionate reply. I've been doing much better on this diet, but it's just really reassuring to hear someone else say the things I've been feeling. That's why these boards are so important! After a while you need someone who understands, who knows exactly the right thing to say. I know you were responding to notadoctor, but what you said and how you said it really moved me.

Note... new
      #174196 - 04/27/05 02:22 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...probtiotics are not enzymes, but bacteria. Digestive Advantage contains both enzymes and a probiotic. It is NOT a miracle cure for anything....you have to work hard at beating IBS and it will still take time.

I did the diet 100% for 6 months before I felt that I was stabilising.

If you are extra sensitive to fructose (not HFCS but the regular natural stuff) then honey could be a problem as it's pure fructose. Most people are fine with the relatively small amounts of honey we eat, but it's possible to be extra sensitive, especially at first. Sugar is safer.

I don't take Digestive Advantage... new
      #174223 - 04/27/05 04:48 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I follow the diet first -- I take a soluble fiber supplement -- about 12 grams of fiber and was stable with nearly no attacks on that before I tried to tackle the gas. Then I take Digest Support - which is an enzyme with anti gas properties. I also take Natrol Bio Beads which have probiotic mix in them -- and a product called My Defense which has a standard amount of Vitamin C and a few other things and is supposed to increase healthy gut microflora.

Still if I do have a problem - it's usually the gas that comes back... like if I have something I'm not supposed to eat... like tomato sauce... too much fat... something like that. I haven't had a full attack in a long time. I think it was last September or so when I had my last big huge painful D attack.

Re: Retrogade i agree great post n/t new
      #174258 - 04/27/05 06:30 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 395 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 32872

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review