Reged: 04/15/04

Aw thanks! I'm so glad it helped.
Getting all misty eyed over here...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Let me add or explain...... new
      #174280 - 04/27/05 07:40 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I think the reason why the bloating went away for me with the probiotic was because I had a pretty bad round of infections that had left me on antibiotics & steroids for about 6 weeks -- I think that probably took out all the good bacteria in my gut -- and allowed the bad stuff to flourish -- thus the gas & bloating. I had gas & bloating nearly all the time. However -- beano and all that didn't work for me hardly at all. The rest of the diet helped my other symtoms -- but didn't touch the gas. Then I took the probiotic -- (and it has to be a good one) -- and at first it didn't seem to be doing anything... but after 3 weeks I noticed I was good. At four - I didn't seem to be having any trouble at all. Now if I eat the wrong foods (dairy -- too much fat -- too much food etc) - I will still get gas & bloating & remind myself not to do that again -but all in all I don't have any problems.

Re: Retrogade-I agree, too. You spoke to - and for - all of us. Thanks. -nt- new
      #174286 - 04/27/05 07:47 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Peppermint new
      #174313 - 04/27/05 08:23 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hiya,

I just had one quick suggestion. If that peppermint tea helped you, but only temporarily you might want to try taking Peppermint capsules.
I think the capsules are stronger, and they are convenient to take as often as you need.. Assuming you don't have any problems with acid reflux (indigestion, heart-burn, etc).

I know that Heather has made some peppermint oil capsules that she swears by, and they also have fennel and.. um.. something else in them. I'd try ordering them and giving them a try and see if that prolongs your relief. Otherwise, you can usually find peppermint oil capsules in health food stores.

Good luck!
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: SO familiar ---- all the same questions........ Here are some answers. new
      #174316 - 04/27/05 08:23 AM
meenieme

Reged: 04/18/05

Just how old are you?

Re: Can Pure Honey and Other Foods Cause Bloating? new
      #174342 - 04/27/05 09:21 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I agree with the other posters on this issue who have said that following Heather's diet 75% is not going to eliminate your symptoms. You mention fitness activities in one of your posts, so let's try a sports metaphor, here, and see if that will give you a different way to think about this.

Let's say you had a specific goal in some sport: bench press 200 pounds; bat .325; run for a hundred yards a game; or get a triple double every time out. If you went to a coach, told him your goal, and asked him what you had to do to achieve it, you wouldn't think you could follow 75% of his advice and succeed. (If you did, you wouldn't have a coach for long!) You have to think about managing your IBS the same way.

And please think about the people on this Board who are trying to help you the way players who know they need help think about their coaches: treat them with respect, follow their advice, and value their time.

One last thing: Your main complaint is blaoting, so drink that fennel tea no matter how much you hate it. Search on "fennel hate" and you'll turn up at least one thread about what you can hide it in to mask the taste. Or search on "fennel nose" and you'll find a post by someone who just holds her nose and drinks it. Brew it in really hot water - that makes sure the goodness gets out of the seeds and into you. Drink it 3 times a day and if you get bloated have 2 cups one right after the other. Try this for a month. This is the equivalent of that one part of your fitness routine that you just hate, but know you have to do to achieve your goal.

HTH. Good luck.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Heather's peppermint caps have peppermint, fennel and ginger :) -nt- new
      #174382 - 04/27/05 10:35 AM
retrograde

Re: Yup, 'fraid so... new
      #174911 - 04/28/05 10:43 PM
notadocter

Reged: 04/26/05

Thanks retro for the reply, you truely made me feel better.
I want to ask is taking pepppermint capsules instead of peppermint tea the same, it is easier for me to take capsule then to brew tea.

As for fructose, let me ask, does pure maple syrup contain fructose? If I have wheat free waffles with pure maple syrup, should this be safe food? What if I am sensitve to fructose, should I not have pure maple syrup?

Maple syrup etc new
      #174924 - 04/29/05 12:20 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I'd guess that as maple syrup comes from trees (doesn't it? ) it would be fructose. Stick to small amounts and not everyday would be my advice. You have to be REALLY sensitive to fructose to not be able to eat any...most of us are fine with small amounts (i.e. don't eat a jar of honey at one time! ).

Peppermint capsules and the tea aren't the same...for one, the heat of the tea helps along with the peppermint.

Peppermint caps... new
      #175038 - 04/29/05 08:56 AM
retrograde

Linz has a great answer re: maple syrup.

For the tea, yup the heat of the tea *definitely* helps, however taking the peppermint caps in addition every day (i.e. not just when you're bloating) can also help prevent bloating and cramping in the first place. I take them 2-3x a day, but I also drink helpful herbal teas like chammomile and peppermint everyday too.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2377 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 32900

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review