All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Day 3 please look... made the changes but sick again
      #173629 - 04/25/05 07:12 PM
WendySmiling

Reged: 04/23/05
Loc: Illinois

I need to know if anyone sees anything at all wrong with what I ate today. If not I'll be patient and just keep going until (maybe) I feel better. I need to know so I can tell my doc that I'm eating correctly so he knows whether to concentrate on my stomach or my intenstines (or both).
Thanks!!

Today:
Quit smoking the dang 2 cigs a day. I want to do this by the book. This is what I ate and just like last night I started feeling nauseaous and getting really bad bloating after dinner. It seems to peak at 8pm or so.

BR 7am: 1 cup FF low sugar corn flakes
1/2 banana and 1/2c rice milk

SN 9am: 6 FF saltines, 1/2c rice and 1/4 cup mushrooms sauteed in FF broth.

LN 12pm: 1/2c rice and 1/4 cup mushrooms sauteed in FF broth.

SN 2pm: 1/2 banana

DN 6pm: 2 small slices french bread, 2 fortune cookies and 5 arrowroot cookies.

I also had 3 c fennel/camomille plain spread out through the day and 1 cup peppermint/ginger w/ 8 drops of stevia after dinner to try to settle my tum. (didn't work)

Between the tea and the water I had 64oz which is a huge amount for me considering my stomach problem. And I'm still not voiding even with 3 doses miralax and zelnorm twice everyday. (sigh) I want this to work SO badly. If I should be posting this to the fitness board please let me know. It's not just an accounting of what I ate, it's getting it down right.

Total cals for the day 860, fat 8%

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hang in there! new
      #173641 - 04/25/05 07:39 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Not to be discouraging, but it does take time. I won't even tell you how long it took me to feel better... but I definitely don't want you to lose hope! It takes longer than a few days, for the vast majority of people, to feel better, but the results in the long-term are worth it.

Your food looks good to me, by the way... I can't see anything in there that would have specifically caused an IBS problem. Your system just needs to calm down, and that might take a little while.

Hang in there! And don't worry - you can keep "reporting" here, that's perfectly fine.

Wendy new
      #173649 - 04/25/05 07:50 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Quote:

Quit smoking the dang 2 cigs a day. I want to do this by the book.

Good for you!

Quote:

I also had 3 c fennel/camomille plain spread out through the day and 1 cup peppermint/ginger w/ 8 drops of stevia after dinner to try to settle my tum. (didn't work)

My advice here is lose the stevia all together. If you don't like the tea plain use plain white (or brown) sugar instead.

Quote:

Between the tea and the water I had 64oz which is a huge amount for me considering my stomach problem.

Nice job!

Everything you've eaten today seems relatively safe except for the stevia. So here are some of my thoughts.

Quote:

You are eating an EXTREMELY small amount of food here at 860 calories. Is this because you're feeling so ill? It's my guess that your stomach is staying mostly empty most of the day and never getting filled up, thus it's always staying in a 'vulnerable' position - anything on an empty or half-empty stomach is going to be less safe than on a full stomach. Additionally, you need lots of soluble fiber, with every meal yes but also all day. I can see how it might be kind of difficult to get a good total amount of fiber to line your gut on these few calories. Just a guess.

Quote:

If not I'll be patient and just keep going until (maybe) I feel better... This is what I ate and just like last night I started feeling nauseaous and getting really bad bloating after dinner. It seems to peak at 8pm or so.

When I first started the diet (about a year ago now) it took about 2 weeks to really start noticing real results - ESPECIALLY with bloating, which has to be the toughest symptom to manage. The fact that your bloating is pretty regular at 8pm says to me that your body is still adjusting, and that there really isn't anything major in your daily diet that's literally TRIGGERING the bloating. For me, the diet immediately stopped triggered-attacks (but I'm D so it's a bit more obvious), but bloating and cramping persisted for A WHILE - and I still get that fairly frequently. If you're only on day 3, I'd say give it time. Probably not what you wanted to hear but things will get better

Quote:

If I should be posting this to the fitness board please let me know. It's not just an accounting of what I ate, it's getting it down right.

Nope I'd say this is the right board since you're looking for advice on the diet.

Hope this helped a bit!
...and hope you're feeling better soon too!

Re: Day 3 please look... made the changes but sick again new
      #173654 - 04/25/05 08:00 PM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

It looks pretty good to me too. I'm new at this too, so I always read other people's accounting and then the responses, to see if I might be making the same mistake.

Things to check:
Just be sure the "low-sugar" in the cereal doesn't mean "has sugar substitutes". It probably doesn't, but you never know, they crop up everywhere these days.
Also, be sure you checked the bread, fortune cookies, and arrowroot cookies for triggers. They are very very good staples, but I just came to the realization myself that even some brands of staples have triggers. The arrowroot cookie brand I bought the first time had dairy, but I didn't realize it because I knew arrowroot cookies were recommended. I think almost all arrowroot cookies are fine though, I just happened to pick the wrong brand.

I also agree that being "empty" makes you more vulnerable, but I'm in the same position of hardly being able to eat. It's a tough balance...I'm working at inching towards more food, but *very* slowly.

Good luck! Seems you are going quite well...

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

Good job on quitting smoking! new
      #173686 - 04/25/05 10:32 PM
Dia

Reged: 02/04/05
Loc: Tucson, AZ

That's probably a bit harder to give up then beef, for example.

I'm agreeing with everyone else on the diagnosis. Give it more time and maybe try to eat more.

Good luck and keep up the good work!
Myra

--------------------
IBS-D

Re: Hang in there! new
      #173705 - 04/26/05 03:29 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I agree too. Just double check the cereal, cookies, bread and broth ingredients...triggers get sneaked in all over the place!

Otherwise, for you, you did real good! Is this an okay amount of food with your GP? Have you considered doing more SF smoothies and soups...would that help you get more cals in or not?

Keep going with the fennel tea...it is so good for IBS bloating. Not sure how it would cope with the GP, but it can't hurt (much) and it'll be better at combating the bloating and over-full feeling than peppermint or ginger.

Keep it up!

Re: Wendy new
      #173721 - 04/26/05 04:55 AM
WendySmiling

Quote:

Quote:

You are eating an EXTREMELY small amount of food here at 860 calories. Is this because you're feeling so ill? It's my guess that your stomach is staying mostly empty most of the day and never getting filled up, thus it's always staying in a 'vulnerable' position - anything on an empty or half-empty stomach is going to be less safe than on a full stomach. Additionally, you need lots of soluble fiber, with every meal yes but also all day. I can see how it might be kind of difficult to get a good total amount of fiber to line your gut on these few calories. Just a guess.

It's just the opposite actually. When your stomach is is paralyzed (gastroparesis) a meal can stay in your stomach for days. Also you feel full after eating just a little. It's kind of like having a forced stomach stapling. I know when my stomach is empty because I can feel it, and it growls which doesn't happen too often. But the good thing is that I'm actually eating more than before this diet and keeping the food down because it's easy to digest. I was eating a liquid only diet for several months. Liquid empties just from gravity. Maybe this diet will help with that too. The same foods are recommended for GP (gastroparesis). I don't think I could tolerate hardly any food before this diet because my liquid was milk and whey powder.

Thank you all for the feedback!!!!!
Wendy in Oklahoma

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

Re: Day 3 please look... made the changes but sick again new
      #173723 - 04/26/05 05:00 AM
meenieme

Reged: 04/18/05

I don't know about you but I cannot eat banana's. They's send me into an attack every time.

Re: Hang in there! new
      #173724 - 04/26/05 05:00 AM
WendySmiling

Quote:

Is this an okay amount of food with your GP? Have you considered doing more SF smoothies and soups...would that help you get more cals in or not?

Keep going with the fennel tea...it is so good for IBS bloating. Not sure how it would cope with the GP, but it can't hurt (much) and it'll be better at combating the bloating and over-full feeling than peppermint or ginger.
Keep it up!

With GP you eat what you can. I try to shoot for 1200 cal minimum but that doesn't always happen. I need to go shop for chicken quarters and make some soup. And I'm going to practice more smoothies. My banana ones turn out slimy unless I put lots of ice in them. Thanks for the tea advice!!
Wendy in Oklahoma

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

I might be getting confused! new
      #173775 - 04/26/05 07:39 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Is the GP not what makes you stay full too long...or is that something else? Sorry, bit new to all them.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4689 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6246

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review