Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
A couple diet questions
      #173406 - 04/25/05 09:46 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Hi all!

1. Odwalla Bars - anyone tried 'em? I had one yesterday and can't tell if it hurt me or not. They are super low-fat and have a lot of rolled oats and such in them. If needed, I can post the ingredients but they are dairy, artificial sweetener and HFCS-free.

2. Protein powder - I've been wanting to try egg white protein powder. Does anyone have any experience with this?

3. What veggies do you eat on a reg basis? - I seem to be stuck in a green bean, peas, tomato & eggplant rut. How do you cook yours?

Thanks!

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: A couple diet questions new
      #173410 - 04/25/05 09:54 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Never heard of Odwalla bars but they sound kind of similar to Luna bars?... they sound good at any rate, but no I've never come accooss them. I've also never tried egg protein powder, sorry, but it's another one I've been wondering about too (that and rice protein) so I'll be interested to see if anyone else has tried it.

For your last question, veggies I eat regularly are (all cooked) carrots, beets, spinach, sweet potatoes and potoates, and zucchini (which I love and tolerate quite well). Mostly I just bake or lightly sautee them but lately I've been making lots of vegetable sauces by putting cooked veggie mixtures in the blender - it makes them (for me) 100% safe it seems and I've even been throwing in some not-so-safe veggies like spinach, peas (I don't do too well with those personally), celelry etc. Otherwise I usually just have my veggies baked, boiled, broiled or roasted.

hope that helps!

#173415 - 04/25/05 10:04 AM
Volatile

Reged: 03/08/05

Yeh, I'd also like to know what protein powder and protein bars I can have.
I take it that you want to know these like I do so you can know what to use for a post workout shake or when you don't have time to eat a regular thing.

What about Bevereley's International Muscle Powder, it is lactose free.
In general, should I be looking at powder's and bars that are lactose free, or dairy free altogether, and how can I know this has it.
I had a luna bar the other day that made me bloated, but it said it may contain trace amounts of dairy, it would be helpful if I knew what bars with protein I could take.

#173418 - 04/25/05 10:13 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I LOVE Odwalla bars....and I've never had problems after eating them. I just can't find them anywhere around here!

Do you like carrots?? Those seem to work well for me. IF I cook them first. Also zucchini...and sweet potatoes... I basically will cook a bunch of veggies in the beginning of the week and then eat the leftovers during the week. I avoid raw veggies now.

--------------------

Protein powder and bars... new
      #173420 - 04/25/05 10:15 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I take soy protein powder and have no problem with it. Just make sure it the one you get doesn't contain any dairy (NOT JUST LACTOSE FREE), eggs, or artificial sweeteners. There are other kinds that might be safe such as those mentioned above (egg white, rice, also hemp) but they are much more difficult to find.

Post workout I have a shake made with a scoop of soy protein, a cup of soy milk, a pear, 1/2 a banana, 1 tbsp acacia and a teeny bit of honey.

Protein bars are a little tougher. Luna bars are the only dairy free ones that are low fat and high protein that I've been able to find. What kind of luna bar did you try? Do you eat soy regularly? Because soy can be VERY bloating if you haven't had it before - it takes your body some time to get used to it. (And luna bars have tonnnns of soy in them)

Muscle Milk new
      #173422 - 04/25/05 10:26 AM
Lynx

Reged: 04/21/05

I have no complications using this, most surprisingly. It's good stuff.

--------------------
Check out my gallery! http://niomie.deviantart.com/

Re: Muscle Milk new
      #173436 - 04/25/05 10:46 AM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

It contains casein... so I probably couldn't have it

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

#173450 - 04/25/05 11:12 AM
Volatile

I take it you microwave the veggies, why are cooked veggies alright but not raw ones?
If you cook veggies, does this make it so I won't have a reaction to irritants like broccoli?

Re: Protein powder and bars...
      #173451 - 04/25/05 11:15 AM
Volatile

I guess the inexposure to soy is why I got bloated.
Does Soy powder have about as much protein per serving as regular powders?

Are you sure honey is alright, isn't that high in high fructose corn syrup, how can I not have apple juice but have honey too.

Re: Muscle Milk
      #173452 - 04/25/05 11:17 AM
Volatile

Isn't this dairy, what brand?

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2634 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2519

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review