All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How much peppermint is too much?
      #173060 - 04/24/05 01:51 AM
Karen From Kansas

Reged: 07/29/04
Loc: Kansas, obviously

I am amazed at how Heather's peppermint caps have helped these last few months. I don't look 6 mo. pregnant anymore! But, it seems like the "effectiveness" wears off, so I take a higher dose -- and it works again. How much is too much?

Also, sometimes (only occasionally) I feel it burning up my throat, as if it did not make it to lower GI. Can anyone address that?

Thanks!

--------------------
Karen from Kansas
IBS-C for 8 years

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How much peppermint is too much? new
      #173061 - 04/24/05 02:50 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

That sounds rather like you might have undiagnosed GERDs...do you ever get heartburn?

#173074 - 04/24/05 07:12 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

How many are you taking?

Very rarely, I've had the feeling like it was coming back up. Almost like a "cool" feeling in my throat. And, that's happened on days when I've taken extra.

#173110 - 04/24/05 11:02 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

I am amazed at how Heather's peppermint caps have helped these last few months. That's fantastic! I don't look 6 mo. pregnant anymore! But, it seems like the "effectiveness" wears off, so I take a higher dose -- and it works again. How much is too much?

Also, sometimes (only occasionally) I feel it burning up my throat, as if it did not make it to lower GI. Can anyone address that?

Thanks!

Well, I don't know how much is to much, but make sure you take them on an empty stomach, inbetween meals. And try storing them in the freezer so they don't dissolve so fast. If that still doesn't work, you may have GERD like Linz suggested. I actually created GERD from so much peppermint tea and pills. I've managed to get rid of it totally from consistently taking probiotics and digestive enzymes, so I don't have a problem now with peppermint if I use it occasionally. Kandee

--------------------

#173252 - 04/24/05 08:11 PM
Karen From Kansas

No, I rarely get heartburn. I don't think I have GERD. But, I do have IBS-C, not D and wonder if that affects how quickly it goes through. Another post suggested freezing the pills. Interesting...

--------------------
Karen from Kansas
IBS-C for 8 years

#173254 - 04/24/05 08:14 PM
Karen From Kansas

Yeah, I was wondering if there could be side effects of taking too much -- like GERD, since peppermint is a trigger for that. I don't ever take them at night anymore because that is when it seems likely that I do have the reflux with it. But, can it mess up your colon? Can it do any harm to take too much?

--------------------
Karen from Kansas
IBS-C for 8 years

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1817 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 659

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review