Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Wind new
      #173147 - 04/24/05 02:08 PM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

Personally, I do eat a little fermented soy...otherwise I don't eat it often--and I'm vegan. Being single, i find it a waste of time to cook protein half the time...I eat a lot of sprouted things and use rice protein when I require it...I am not on a high protein diet--for me to be on a high protein diet would be disasterous as I have osteopenia. Plant food easily supplies enough protein, enzymes and amino acids. Grains also supply a lot of protein...sea veggies and other legumes, too. It's pretty easy to get more than the DRA without consuming soy...or even a protein powder! However, I did see a neat protein powder--Hemp--I might check out next.

I so agree about the protein issue. We've become a nation obsessed with protein overload. But if one needs/wants a protein powder yes hemp, or pea protein powder will work if you don't like the rice. Personally I'm not fond of the taste of the rice protein powder by Nutribiotic, even the chocolate flavor.
As to soy...I LOVE (GF) soy sauce but it cramps my muscles right up..strange reaction, huh? As far as I know there is no DF sub for tofu, unfortunately.

There are some new theories about protein and iron. It used to be the thinking that if you were low in either than the meat based iron/protein was the best for absorbability. Now the thinking is that if your body is low in either it will take it from any source it can get it, meat based or not, and absorb it in relation to the need. Amazing machines we have indeed. Kandee

--------------------

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New...Help w/ diet questions for conflicting illnesses? new
      #173149 - 04/24/05 02:11 PM
WendySmiling

Reged: 04/23/05
Loc: Illinois

Thanks Sand,
On the break the cycle page Heather says a few days for diahrrea. She says it can take up to 2 weeks for severe constipation. Yes I'm going to have to use it as an elimination diet for gastroparesis. I'm at a point where I feel sick no matter what I eat, so I'm going to do this break the cycle by the book and IF I can handle eating the solid food then I'll add in a few things and see if I can tolerate them. I've quit the milk and whey. I was wondering why I was still having problems on a mostly liquid diet. That is why I am here. I haven't broke down to the baby food level yet. I hate it and am trying to keep from going there although it's ok if someday I have to. (ugh).

With gastroparesis the goal is to find foods that you can tolerate and try to maintain your weight if you can. For most of us it's just a few foods. I know that Heather's diet isn't for the long term for MOST people, but either is drinking broth everyday for months if that is all one can tolerate. There are many degrees of GP. Some people can eat fairly normal, some are extrememly limited, some I have spoken with have not had a bite of food or even a sip of ensure for 5 years or longer because they have violent vomiting fits that put them in the hospital. They have surgical feeding and draining tubes placed in their sides and many of them still vomit and are sick all the time. It's a nasty little disease. I'm just grateful I can eat. I've spent the last two years of my life researching GP and hypothyroid. I refuse to give up trying to feel better.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.
Wendy in Oklahoma

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

Re: Kandee new
      #173183 - 04/24/05 05:12 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I experience the same reaction with GF soy sauce! Strange coincidence.

I agree with you re: The Nutri-Biotic protein powder taste.
If I use it--which is rare--I usually spunk it up with some fresh fruit. I've always found most protein powders gross, though...wanna-be "ice-cream" flavours, and ice cream was something that always excited my gastrocolic reflex, or made me gag.

I agree re: protein obsessed North American culture. Perhaps it is in response to media exposure re: low carb diets (i.e. Atkins, South Beach, the Zone). Apparently there are a lot of people desperate to lose weight that are susceptible to the "Protein" miracle brainwashing media hype.

Ironically, when I wasn't vegan, I suffered from iron-deficiency anemia. I guess my body is sucking in more than enough iron from plant sources! Is it easier on the body to naturally absorb? I wonder.

I used to eat more soy, but with a strong family history of hypothyroid I've more or less phased it out. A few months ago it started "going right through me, " so I eliminated it, except in occaisonal fermented forms. My albumin levels are fine, I'm not anemic, and easily get tons of complimentary proteins without soy in my life.

Re: High protein/low carb diets. They deplete minerals, i.e. calcium from the body. Most people generally fail using low carb methods. Eat for energy, eat for life!

Re: Kandee new
      #173187 - 04/24/05 05:40 PM
WendySmiling

Hi Wind,
I think many people don't know how much protein they should take in. I don't personally buy the USRDA because for one they are always changing what they say, and second an RDA for a 100 lb. woman that is 50, is different from a 100lb woman that is 20, and then their are weight fluctuations, diseases to account for etc. I suppose whatever level somebody feels their best at is right for them.

As far as diet goes I'm pretty much "to each their own". I watched my ex-DH lose 110 lbs in a year on Atkins and leave behind his asthma, high BP, diabetes meds, improve his cholesterol and trigs dramatically. He went from 16 medications a day for a quandry of illnesses to one. His doctor is stunned and thrilled. So for him it was great.
I was on Atkins for 8 months. My trigs and chol went down, I came off all diabetes and BP meds within the first 3 months...but at the same time became so ill from GP and IBS-C that I have yet to recover and I've been off it for 18 months. I've met 2 other women that were low-carbing and were diagnosed with gastroparesis in the last year. I don't think that is a coincidence. I'm fine w/ vegan. Meat/dairy make me sick now although I loved them before I got sick. But give me some mushrooms and who needs meat?
All I want to do is eat to feel good. I have high hopes!
Wendy in Oklahoma

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

Hey, I just realized... new
      #173197 - 04/24/05 06:23 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04

that on the gastroP diet you posted, they allow lots of veggies, even spinach, and canned fruits on the Stage 2 diet, and on the stage 3 you can have poultry and fish!

So wouldn't those work for you, Wendy?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Hey, I just realized... new
      #173240 - 04/24/05 07:48 PM
WendySmiling

Everyone with GP tolerates different things. I've tried spinach twice and I throw it up immediately. Small amounts of squash and mushrooms are ok. Any kind of meat, chicken or fish makes me sick. It's hard for me to eat very much food. Often a 1/2 cup total of food will leave me feeling like I had a 5-course meal and the fullness and nausea don't go away the entire day. Some days I can eat more. I really need to find a liquid diet that is IBS safe, I'll be patient for the next two weeks, but I don't know that I can handle all this solid food. I've had 600 calories today and I feel stuffed, bloated really bad and nauseaous.

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

Oh my.. new
      #173248 - 04/24/05 08:02 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04

Aren't you losing weight like crazy, Wendy? How severe was your delayed gastric emptying anyhow? Must be pretty bad. I never feel like I need to throw up. Just very full, bloated and belchy.

I must have a lot less severe case of GP than you. Are you working with a nutritionist?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: WendySmilingProtein new
      #173400 - 04/25/05 09:23 AM
Wind

Everything I've read states that the US RDA is an overestimate re: protein.

I've done "low carb" vegan, only to physically feel ill...nausea, etc., but that's just my personal experience.
I experience major nausea, heartburn, etc.

What's that mushroom comment referring to?

Re: WendySmilingProtein new
      #173598 - 04/25/05 04:29 PM
WendySmiling

The mushroom comment was just that if I have mushrooms I have no need for meat. I love them!

--------------------
Gracie
IBS-C since 1978

Re: WendySmilingMushrooms new
      #173616 - 04/25/05 06:37 PM
Wind

Ditto. I adore them! (It's creepy, how satisfying they are, and with the diversity...)Ode to fungi. Sorry, I thought somebody was making fun of me. I can hardly wait, I think, until we get Quorn, in Canada. Although, once I read the ingredients, I'll likely change my mind.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1377 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6754

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review