All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
I know Kandee doesn't eat it.... new
      #173062 - 04/24/05 02:53 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...cos of thyroid issues. Soy has a hormone-like effect, which is why it's great for menopausal women and bad for thyroid issues.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I know Kandee doesn't eat it.... new
      #173067 - 04/24/05 04:55 AM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

I was eating soy a LOT as a veg. I had a goiter the size of a lemon and had to have my entire thyroid removed last fall. I doubt it was a coincidence. I use rice-based products now.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

#173070 - 04/24/05 05:53 AM
AlyssaKaye

Reged: 03/21/05
Loc: USA

You use rice for everything?

Can you find that sort of thing? I mean, I've seen rice milk, rice protein powder, and rice cheese. But that's about it. What do you do about Tofu, or TVP or other meat replacements?

--------------------
~~~Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.~~~

Re: Soy and Thyroid Function new
      #173078 - 04/24/05 07:49 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Yes, consuming soy impacts thyroid function--that's the verdict/consensus of the experts...WITH ONE EXCEPTION. What is this exception? FERMENTED SOY. Fermented soy does not impact thyroid function. Fermented soy, and that's generally how the Japanese consume it, does not impede thyroid function. I suppose, though, soy yogurt would be okay, because bacterial culture would cause fermentation.
Examples: miso, soy sauce, tempeh...you can even buy fermented soy protein powder.
Also re: thyroid and goiterons. Certain foods contain goiterons (check spelling) which are bad for hypothyroid. These are generally cruciferous veggies...which most of us have a problem with (broccoli/cabbage/brussels sprouts, etc.) Cooking releases/negates these goiterons...eating them raw (YAH RIGHT!) does not and therefore negatively impacts thyroid function. So, fermented soy is okay--unfermented soy is nasty for hypothyroid. Incidentally, unfermented and also uncooked soy/tofu impedes
thyroid function.

Well thanks for the wealth of information! new
      #173093 - 04/24/05 09:15 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I should have been more clear. I did have Anorexia Nervosa, which is different than anorexia. I guess that's why my doctor thinks the anorexia nervosa caused the gastroparesis and definitely not the other way around. I had no GI problems before the Eating Disorder.

What type of Nerve problems and Endocrine disease do you have and how did they determine this?

I will email you with my questions. Don't want to take up board space with my problem!

Thank you again for all this information. You will surely be hearing from me as I have many questions on how you make this GP diet IBS friendly because the foods listes as okay do not seem to be IBS safe [lots of dairy products (yogurt, milk, cheese), fruit juices(prune, grape, pineapple), egg noodles]. And cofee!

Plus I must eat gluten free So I cannot even do the saltines, cream of wheat, pastas, etc. So I really am in a quandry as to how to make my diet IBS safe, GP safe, and Gluten Free. Oy. I'm so in trouble here. I am just overwhelmed. Again. Stress monster not good for tummy!

PS What on my list is safe ? The low fat potato chip? The cream of brown rice cereal? The white rice bread? Anything?? The puffed millet????? Since it only has 1 gram of fiber. And the quinoa is a soluble fiber, so I thought that was safe?

Wouldn't peeled baked apple and plums be okay? They are peeled and cooked just like canned fruit? And my zucchini is also peeled and cooked! So wouldn't that be safe as well? I would probably be sooo constipated if I took all this out of my diet.

Well I guess I did take up more space. Sorry guys and gals.

Oh, I must email you later!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Wendy, my email address is new
      #173096 - 04/24/05 09:41 AM
Augie

deerbeth@yahoo.com if you want to ever contact me. I wish I had your GI doc! I saw you recommended him on the link, so you must think highly of him. Mine is good for nothing!

Do you know anything about Gluten free eating? I don't know how to make the GP diet adaptable for my GF eating.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Soy and Thyroid Function new
      #173103 - 04/24/05 10:11 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

Quote:

Yes, consuming soy impacts thyroid function--that's the verdict/consensus of the experts...WITH ONE EXCEPTION. What is this exception? FERMENTED SOY. Fermented soy does not impact thyroid function. Fermented soy, and that's generally how the Japanese consume it, does not impede thyroid function. I suppose, though, soy yogurt would be okay, because bacterial culture would cause fermentation.
Examples: miso, soy sauce, tempeh...you can even buy fermented soy protein powder.
Also re: thyroid and goiterons. Certain foods contain goiterons (check spelling) which are bad for hypothyroid. These are generally cruciferous veggies...which most of us have a problem with (broccoli/cabbage/brussels sprouts, etc.) Cooking releases/negates these goiterons...eating them raw (YAH RIGHT!) does not and therefore negatively impacts thyroid function. So, fermented soy is okay--unfermented soy is nasty for hypothyroid. Incidentally, unfermented and also uncooked soy/tofu impedes
thyroid function.

Yes, soy not only is a goitergen but diminishes the affects of thyroid medication, the same way Calcium does if consumed to close to the time you take your daily thyroid medications. Cruciferus veggies act the same way unless cooked to death. And there are some new studies out that show green tea should be avoided by those with thyroid disease as well.
Personally, I'm flat out intolerant of all soy, whether it be in the fermented form or not. I avoid all soy dairy subs. There are enough rice and nut dairy subs out there that one does not have to consume soy if it is detrimental to their health in some way. However, because of it's estrogenic affect it can be helpful for many women in peri-menopause and menopause, not to mention the high calcium, protein and mineral contents. Here is a thread started many moons ago. Lots of reading here, both pro and con. Kandee

--------------------

Re: New...Help w/ diet questions for conflicting illnesses? new
      #173105 - 04/24/05 10:33 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Welcome. You're carrying quite a lot on your shoulders - and you seem to be carrying it remarkably well. I do sincerely hope this diet helps you enough to avoid surgery.

When you talk about going on "the diet" for two weeks, I assume you're talking about Heather's "Break The Cycle" diet. That does consist only of soluble fiber and you should eat only the things on the list. However, as I understand it, this isn't designed as an elimination diet. The Break The Cycle diet is to give your digestive tract only the easiest to digest food for a while so it can recover from irritation and it is intended to be used only for a few days. After the first few days, you begin adding in food that is not on the list - insoluble fiber, fats, safe proteins. Here's the web page that talks about the diet; the hyperlink to soluble fiber will give you the list of what you can eat while you're on it.

Having said that, I realize that with your multiple conditions you may need to approach this differently and I believe I have run across posts on the Board from people who have been on the Break The Cycle diet for more than just a few days.

I do not know enough about elimination diets to say for sure, but I imagine you can use the Break The Cycle diet as an elimination diet. You could try doing a Search on "elimination diet" and see what you get. I know of one recent thread that talks about this a little bit. It might help.

A couple of more specific points. Dairy is a trigger food in Heather's diet, so the milk and the whey protein may well be problems.

Have you tried baby food for those times when solid food just isn't possible? One of Heather's principles is that insoluble fiber is easier to handle when it is chopped into smaller bits. Baby food is just the ultimate extension of this principle.

I wish you all the best. The Board is a great source of support and an excellent information resource. (It looks like you're an excellent information resource yourself! Thanks.)

Take care.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Couldn't you do... new
      #173122 - 04/24/05 11:54 AM
Augie

Baked apples, cooked papaya or mango to add some fruits in? Or cooked nectarines and plums that are peeled and stewed very tender?
And how about pureed cooked and peeled veggies for some veggies. Woudn't these be safe for you?

Have you ever tried a digestive enzyme to help you? Maybe you would be able to eat more if you had some enzymes to help you digest the foods and get things moving. I take them and thought I could handle more because I had this additional help. Am I wrong?

--------------------
~ Beth

#173123 - 04/24/05 12:36 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Personally, I do eat a little fermented soy...otherwise I don't eat it often--and I'm vegan. Being single, i find it a waste of time to cook protein half the time...I eat a lot of sprouted things and use rice protein when I require it...I am not on a high protein diet--for me to be on a high protein diet would be disasterous as I have osteopenia. Plant food easily supplies enough protein, enzymes and amino acids. Grains also supply a lot of protein...sea veggies and other legumes, too. It's pretty easy to get more than the DRA without consuming soy...or even a protein powder! However, I did see a neat protein powder--Hemp--I might check out next.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 288 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6777

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review