All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Lynx...re-read the diet guidelines! new
      #172647 - 04/22/05 09:47 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I know IF can be scary (I didn't touch it for MONTHS ) but as a C you NEED it. If you do it safely enough, it should be okay.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Lynx...re-read the diet guidelines! new
      #172650 - 04/22/05 09:49 AM
Lynx

Reged: 04/21/05

What am I allowed to eat that has IF in it? So far I've found that no matter what I eat, I get attacks. My dad won't allow me to touch anything with IF in it because of my worsening condition.

--------------------
Check out my gallery! http://niomie.deviantart.com/

Re: Most C folks find elavil... new
      #172654 - 04/22/05 09:53 AM
Lynx

Reged: 04/21/05

I stopped taking my Celexa back in June last year. I tried taking them for a couple of weeks for the IBS. It made no difference, though.

--------------------
Check out my gallery! http://niomie.deviantart.com/

#172655 - 04/22/05 09:53 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Yes, you NEED insoluble fiber in your diet or the C will never get better. I've been on miralax for about 4 years and have never built up an immunity to it like I did the Zelnorm. A few tricks for the miralax is to be sure to take it on an empty tummy and than eat something shortly after to help stimulate your colon. You must also drinks lots of water through out the day as the miralax is an osmotic laxative and works by pulling water into the colon.

Hang in there, I too have had times im my life that I would have rather died than endure the pain but you must find the streagnth to go on. I agree with everyone else that you need to see your regular dr and get some anti-depressants. I've been on about 4 different ones throughout my life and like Lexapro the best. You have to STAY on the AD's for at least 4-6 weeks to really see the full benefit!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#172660 - 04/22/05 09:57 AM
michele

You MUST get insoluble fiber sood or your C will never get better. Its a very tough balancing act between regular soluble fiber (rice, potatoes, bagels, etc) and insoluble fiber (hummus, pickles, veggies, fruits) See the whole list in this web site, sorry I can't provide you the link straight to it, I'm not real good with the technical computer stuff! The trick is to eat the soluble fiber stuff first for a good base but you must eat insoluble stuff as well!! Try putting fruit in the blender for a smoothie, thats a good place to start! Or try adding some flax seed oil to your oatmeal, I know several of the girls here do this for there C and it helps!

--------------------

My doc says Celexa new
      #172661 - 04/22/05 09:57 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

is also more prone to constipate you. But like you said in a previous post, you weren't on a high enough dose to help with depression. ADs for IBS are a lot lower dose than for depression.

We are suggesting ADs for your depression, not the IBS.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: My doc says Celexa new
      #172662 - 04/22/05 09:58 AM
michele

You have to give ANY ad 4-6 weeks before seeing the benefits!! Three weeks on a low dose is not enough or long enough!

--------------------

Re: Whoa! new
      #172664 - 04/22/05 10:04 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I"m sorry if you already answered this in another post, but I'm trying to catch up.

Have you started taking an SFS, like Heather's Tummy Fiber or Benefiber? Are you drinking hot peppermint or chamomile tea to relax you, ease the spasms and pain? Also you may want to check the ingredients in your oatmeal (if it's instant check to see if it has any dairy in it) and check your bread for HFCS and dairy. It will take a while for your digestive system to get used to ANY food, especially since you've been eating so little for a while. You'll probably need to incorporate new foods into your diet slowly and a little at a time, after a good base of SF. I don't know if you've managed to get to all the info on this site and the boards, but here are a few links that may be useful:

Prevous post about A-Ds and constipation

SSRIs post

Common Abbreviations used on the boards

What to eat when you can't eat anything

Soluble Fiber

Insoluble Fiber

A pelvic ultrasound?-nt new
      #172666 - 04/22/05 10:06 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

I have not save up enough money yet.. new
      #172671 - 04/22/05 10:21 AM
Augie

to buy the audio tapes.

As far as IF, I also have delayed gastric emptying, and the treatment for that is low fiber diet and no SFS. So, I'm really confused about how to get enough fiber for C, yet do low fiber for my Delayed emptying.

I do agree that the more I stress the worse the IBS is, and most of my stress is due to not knowing what I actually have, and trying to coordinate treatments for all my various medical problems that I listed above. Two different doctors tell me opposite diagnosis and opposite treatments. No one can agree on what's wrong and how treat me.

My only hobby is researching medical conditions and possible treatments. I have an existence of pain and symptoms and researching and confusion. This is my existence.

The harder I try, the more I try to learn, the worse the stress, frustration, confusion, and symptoms become. But I continue on this vicious cycle.

What is flylady.net?

My stresses are too many to name in this long thread. As well as the reason for my Eating Disorder.

Thanks for caring Ruchie. I will miss seeing you on the boards until Tuesday. Please keep praying for me. I appreciate prayers.

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 670 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 36690

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review