All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Re: Yeah, but.... new
      #172437 - 04/22/05 12:11 AM
Lynx

Reged: 04/21/05

Sorry to sound like a moron, but, what's an a-d?

--------------------
Check out my gallery! http://niomie.deviantart.com/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Yeah, but.... new
      #172438 - 04/22/05 12:12 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

you don't! Anti depressant

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Whoa! new
      #172439 - 04/22/05 12:16 AM
Lynx

Elavil? Never heard of it. The first thing I was put on was Zelnorm. It worked for about three weeks before I became immune.

--------------------

Re: Whoa! new
      #172441 - 04/22/05 12:23 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

See, you really need to get back to your doc and try some more meds! AND get that depression under control.

Elavil is a tryclyclic anti-depressant and is the first a-d usually prescribed for anyone suffering from IBS or a pain disorder. Zelnorm is for the treatment of IBS-C and isn't an a-d at all.

Fyi, www.medicinenet.com has a great database of medications.

Hey! Don't say that! new
      #172444 - 04/22/05 12:32 AM
MissyB

Reged: 07/22/04

We were discussing constipation in another post yesterday, particularily mentioned was making sure you have gotten a comprehensive check up by your gyn to make sure that it isn't a problem with your ovaries or uterus causing your constipation.. Also, if you feel like you have tried everything suggested here and feel like fiber makes you worse, try only the miralax and a gluten free diet.. You can also do an enema to get yourself some relief and maybe get on a roll...hang in there and we're all in this together so don't give up and don't QUIT!

Re: Hey! Don't say that! new
      #172455 - 04/22/05 01:40 AM
Lynx

That's what I'm currently doing. I'm taking only the Miralax because all the other medications worsen the condition. I'm beginning to have to overdose on the medication because I become immune to medications. I've asked about enemas and my doc says it won't do any good 'cause that only goes up so far. As far as diet goes, I'm pretty much eating only oatmeal and bagels which trigger attacks as well. The reproductive system issue is starting to be considered at this point. IBS runs in my mom's side of the family, but my sister has endometriosis. I might have it, too.

--------------------

Re: Considering suicide as constipation IBS treatment... new
      #172554 - 04/22/05 07:18 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I agree with Linz. Please make an appointment to see your family doctor immediately and tell her you are extremely depressed because of your health and ask her to prescribe anti-depressants to help you cope until you can get your health straightened out. Taking anti-depressants to treat your depression is a separate issue from taking anti-depressants to treat your IBS. And make a follow-up appointment. That way if the first anti-depressant your doctor tries doesn't work for you, you're already set up to tell her so and have her try something else.

Hang in there. This Board is a great resource and everyone here is willing to help. Once you get treatment for your depression, you'll have a little more energy for trying some of the suggestions people make.

Interesting hobby, by the way. I was thinking the other day that I needed a new one - maybe I'll try yours. Do I need any special equipment?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Most C folks find elavil... new
      #172557 - 04/22/05 07:21 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

to be very constipating. Tell your doctor your main symptom is constipation so that they can put you on an AD that does'nt aggravate the C even more.

I am on lexapro but considering asking for Prozac. I'm IBS-C, btw.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

About a gynie exam new
      #172574 - 04/22/05 07:49 AM
Augie

What exactly should we ask our OBs to do or test for when we see them? I went and told my gynie about my symptoms, but all he did was a regular exam and told me that my symptoms were not due to anything gynocological. What exactly should he have done to rule out a gynie problem?

--------------------
~ Beth

Your story is my story new
      #172578 - 04/22/05 07:59 AM
Augie

Except that I must eat Gluten free as well as IBS safe. And I have delayed gastric emptying and a non functioning gallbladder and have recovered from a long long term eating disorder. I too have tried everything I can think of to alleviate my constipation and chronic debilitating pain. I do the same things that others have tried. Yet, they have found some degree of stability and improvement, while I only get worse and ultimately more depressed and hopeless as more and more treatment options get eliminated because they don't work. I fear I have run out of options and that this will just be my life from now on. Pain and constipation and misery.

Now, I surely hope that your last statement saying that "this is what you will do" came out of frustration and that you are not serious. You have not tried ADs yet and they could help you tremendously. You have not tried everything, so you still have some pretty good options left for yourself that could help you.

Hasn't anyone else felt this desparate though? Are Linx and I the only one who ever felt that going to Heaven where there will be freedom from pain would be a welcome event to the pain and misery? I'm not advocating suicide by any means. But honestly, hasn't anyone else even thought about it? I guess if you are helped by the diet or by meds or an SFS you wouldn't feel this hopeless because you have found some relief at least. But coming from someone who hasn't I must admit that Linx is not alone in her frustration and hopelessness, unfortunately.

Again, not trying to scare anyone or turn this board into a suicide help line Just want to know if anyone else has ever had this thought? Or am I worse off than I know and totally off base.

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1791 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 36694

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review