All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I'm pretty excited!
      #172032 - 04/20/05 10:03 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I did my first shopping trip with IBS and GERD....and things don't look so bleak after all!

I bought red potatoes, acorn squash and avocadoes. this is newish to me, and I'm excited to learn how to cook it!

I SEARCHED the whole store, and found only 2 sauces that work for both my IBS and my GERD-that's Teriyaki sauce and this mango vinaigrette. I think I'll be having a hard time giving up my butter/sauce/gravy stuff but I'll do what I can.

I feel positive about this thing now. i was a bit scared and overwhelmed at first.

And, i am feeling pretty darn good, too...the Zelnorm is a good thing, for now. i want to not use it for long, and hopefully the PERSONAL BLENDER i bought will help the Metamucil go down and work, deliciously. Whoever suggested it is a genius.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hey cool! new
      #172044 - 04/20/05 11:28 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Have a look (either in the supermarket or your HFS) for a safe bouillon powder...with it you can make all kinds of sauces - as well as a yummy drink.

And there are SOME gravy mixes tht are ok.

Plus, try out Heather's Linguine with Butternut Squash Sauce (you can actualy make it with any kind of pasta)...the sauce is so incredibly creamy and yummy! It's my DH's favourite Heather recipe!

Don't forget as well that you can have a little low-fat or FF mayo. Or try putting a little salt on potatoes and veggies...it makes a yummy difference. And a safe soy sauce would be fine with GERDs IMHO.

Re: I'm pretty excited! new
      #172103 - 04/21/05 07:23 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Mmmm, I love acorn squash - although I have to get my DH to cut it in half for me. I really need to work on those arm muscles.

Here's a post I found a while back and bookmarked. It's got what sounds like a yummy gravy in it. I keep meaning to try it, but haven't gotten around to it yet. If it's as good as it sounds, maybe it will help with giving up the butter/sauce/gravy thing.

I'm so glad your "first" shopping trip went well - and I love your attitude!

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Yeah! new
      #172120 - 04/21/05 08:21 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I love that moment when things don't look so bad after all.

As for the butter/sauce/gravy... probably with GERD, tomato sauce is still going to be out of the question, huh? The good news is that it's totally possible to make your own gravy fat-free or very low fat. And for the butter, I like Smart Balance Light, which is the only grocery-store brand margarine I've found that's completely dairy-free... and bonus, it's low-fat. You can't use it for cooking, it just separates and gets really weird, but when you REALLY want something buttery on a baked potato, it rocks.

Anyway, glad you're feeling good and so good to see you so upbeat!

oh, AND I got FF mayo and Consomme. new
      #172248 - 04/21/05 01:15 PM
_Willow

Hopefully I'll get creative and figure this enigma out. i was wondering what the heck you put on your pasta!!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

thanks, Sand! new
      #172257 - 04/21/05 01:28 PM
_Willow

That link was all too helpful, and that stuff sounds YUMMY!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

I tried to find whey or casein or lactose free marg.... new
      #172261 - 04/21/05 01:30 PM
_Willow

but the best I could find was Becel. Do you go to special stores? I live in Edmonton canada-maybe I have to check a health food store?

And yes, I'm upbeat. i have to be, this is for life.

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

I'm glad it helped. Let me know how the gravy is.:) -nt- new
      #172286 - 04/21/05 02:10 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: I tried to find whey or casein or lactose free marg.... new
      #172446 - 04/22/05 12:35 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

I get either a pure Soya or SUnflower spread at my supermarket, but maybe you won't have anything like that?

Re: oh, AND I got FF mayo and Consomme. new
      #172492 - 04/22/05 05:58 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

There is also a recipe for a white sauce that I use a lot. I think it calls for Rice Dream -- but I use Soy Milk in mine -- and it actually thickens up better than they had results. You can even add chunks of chicken breast, some veggies --- whatever suits you. I'll try and add the link here - or you can search for white sauce and then go down to the Rice Dream one.

http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=recipe&Number=18008&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&vc=1

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1043 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7001

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review