All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Flour help
      #170936 - 04/18/05 02:09 PM
tpet83

Reged: 04/18/05

When looking for items made with just white flour as opposed to whole wheat flour. What does it mean when the ingreadients say "enriched", "bleached", "unbleached" and/or "bleached enriched" wheat flour?!?!? And what the heck is "durum semolina flour" in pasta noodles???H E L P!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Flour help new
      #170942 - 04/18/05 02:26 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Enriched means they put nutrition in it (vitamins, etc)
Bleached means they bleached it.
Unbleached means it hasn't been bleached (this is the kind you want to use when you buy flour to bake with)
Durum semolina flour is from wheat flour and is fine for pasta. (You want to avoid WHOLE wheat pasta)

#170944 - 04/18/05 02:28 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Basically, enriched, bleached, and unbleached are all different processes applied to WHITE flour, and therefore all of those options are safe. I don't know exactly what durum semolina is off the top of my head, but I do know it's safe as well.

Basically, what you want to avoid is WHOLE wheat flour. Sometimes, on fancier baked products, you'll see things like "stone-ground wheat flour"... I'd stay away from those. Typically, the coarser-processed flours are whole wheat. You'll also want to avoid "bran" in your breads, assuming you're buying breads to use as your soluble fiber base and not to incorporate insolubles back into your diet.

Hope that helps a little!

#171088 - 04/18/05 08:01 PM
Laurel M

Loc: Texas

This may sound either silly or repetitive, but I just want to make sure I'm reading this information correctly. Basically, it is okay to eat "wheat" flour, such as is found in white bread, it's just not okay to eat "whole wheat" flour. Is that correct? Just want to make sure I'm not limiting myself too much, because when I'm shopping and see something has wheat flour as one of its ingredients, I get a bit nervous...which hopefully is for nothing!

Hi Laurel! You are correct :) new
      #171093 - 04/18/05 08:03 PM
atomic rose

"Wheat" flour is just that - flour made from wheat, and typically, they mean white flour when they say that. "Whole wheat" is the one to watch out for.

Re: Hi Laurel! You are correct :) new
      #171162 - 04/18/05 11:04 PM
Volatile

Reged: 03/08/05

What it if says enriched wheat flour? Are you thinking as long as it is not only wheat flour is fine.

Volatile.... new
      #171164 - 04/18/05 11:20 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Yes, as long as it is "wheat flour" even if enriched it should be okay, just don't buy it if it says "whole wheat" on ANYTHING! Whole wheat causes lot's of IBS problems as it's the outside husk that is full of insoluable fibre.

--------------------
Amy

Re: Hi Laurel! You are correct :) new
      #171428 - 04/19/05 11:07 AM
Laurel M

Loc: Texas

Thank you so much! That really helps. Now I have another question: I noticed in another message that oat bran is also a bad thing. I have some Quaker hot Oat Bran cereal that has 3 g of IF and 3 g of SF. Is this something I should eat or avoid? Also, in general, is oat bran, or just plain bran, something to avoid as a trigger food?

Thanks!

#171432 - 04/19/05 11:13 AM
Bethany

Reged: 02/27/04
Loc: Nashville, TN

I just wanted to add that I eat Whole Wheat bread all the time with no problems. Some people can tolerate the wheat and it is good for fiber. You just have to see what works for you.

Sourdough is another good choice if you are looking for alternatives!

--------------------
"Love isn't love, until you give it away!"

Well, it's not necessarily something to *avoid*... new
      #171478 - 04/19/05 12:55 PM
atomic rose

IF is very necessary to us, just as SF is, and IF should be eaten as much as possible... just eaten safely, with plenty of SF to cushion it.

If you're just starting to try to stabilize, you might want to back off the oat bran for now, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't go back to eating it (or continue eating it, if you're past the "breaking the cycle" part of the diet). I just mentioned the bran in reference to breads because most people do use bread as one of their "purely SF" options... and in that case, you wouldn't want bran in it.

Hope that helps!

Woah! Another Laurel M...! new
      #171570 - 04/19/05 04:21 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Hiya!

I just wanted to say welcome to the boards to ya because I've never met another Laurel! Not only that, but you also have the same last initial as me! How weird is that?

lol Anyway, welcome!

Re: Retrograde, I'm from ON, too! new
      #171584 - 04/19/05 04:54 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I just noticed you're from ON, too. I'm from Waterloo, how 'bout you? Just curious. Hope I'm not being too nosy.

Re: I'm from ON, too! ME TOO n/t new
      #171645 - 04/19/05 08:23 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Re: Retrograde, I'm from ON, too! new
      #171704 - 04/20/05 05:36 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Wind - I went to Laurier! I miss Waterloo terribly sometimes. BTW - we are organizing a get together in Toronto the weekend of Sept 23rd. If you're interested, check out the "let's get together" board.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#174001 - 04/26/05 03:46 PM
tpet83

Thank you so much for your help on flour! I was getting soooo confused when reading those darn bread labels. Makes sense now.

Re: HanSolo, I went to UW! new
      #174051 - 04/26/05 05:46 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Thanks for the get to gether notice.

Just noticed this! new
      #174052 - 04/26/05 05:46 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Sorry I must have totally missed this post. So another southwestern Ontarian EH? (lol) yeah there are a few of us here!

I'm in London now, going to school at Western, but I'll probably be home, up north in North Bay for the summer, which is where I'm originally from

#175183 - 04/29/05 05:35 PM
notadocter

Reged: 04/26/05

Are you certain semolina is safe?
About an hour ago I had pasta with my dinner, the pasta was made of semolina.
I feel bloated, the bloating is as if I am pregnant, have gas, and am extremely tired, is it possible this is because of the semolina I consumed.

#175245 - 04/30/05 03:56 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Semolina is fine usually. What else did you have with it? And how much did you eat? Did you eat too fast?

I find overeating (which can actually be not that much food sometimes) is a BIG trigger for me. I've learnt that AS SOON as I feel at all full, I should stop. Sometimes I come back to the food later, sometimes I don't.

Hope that helps!

#175257 - 04/30/05 05:46 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Check the ingredients on the pasta box. My vegan friends swear that some pasta is made with eggs. I haven't found any on my grocer's shelves yet, but it's worth checking. Also, what kind of sauce did you have on it?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2282 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3055

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review