All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Intolerances....
      #170723 - 04/18/05 12:45 AM
nikjones_uk

Reged: 01/04/05

I was just wondering what people do when they know that they obviously have intolerances to certain foods but haven't got the time or weight to do the "at-home" elimination tests? Have you paid for someone to test you?

What I have found is that I was off most of any kind of real food for about 3 months back last year, I lost an enormous amount of weight, but I didn't have candida, I didn't have the dark circles under my eyes and I felt better (if a little thin) - what I'm surmising is that I have to go back to eating just lettuce leaves (which are a massive trigger for me) to make myself better?

I don't eat wheat, dairy, yeast or refined sugars - I still eat fruit. I also still eat oats because they are the only thing that keeps me solid! I still eat white rice, because brown rice and me don't get on, plus it tastes cacky!

I feel like I did before I developed the stomach bug I caught which made my IBS worse and I'm scared?! Doctors are no use, if they can't throw a pill at it they don't wanna know! I am seeing a natropath on Wednesday but I can only afford to see her once because of money.

I don't have any time to look after myself, because my job is becoming more stressful, I have no spare "mental" time for me, and I'm getting depressed again.....WHEN WILL IT ALL END?

Thanks for letting me rant and vent - I'd love to hear from you guys, coz if it weren't for you guys I'd be even more lost that I am already.... xx

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Intolerances.... new
      #170724 - 04/18/05 02:06 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Oh dear! {{{{hugs}}}}

Are the oats, white rice and fruit something that shouldn't be eaten with candida?

You can get tested...ask yor GP first if they know anyone that can do this. If they don't, then look in the yellow pages for alternative health practitioners and ring a few. Most clinics in this country (at least out of the major cities like London) in my experience are pretty decent...you just need to find one that does the tests and that you like.

Do naturopaths do the tests? I thought a naturopath started from what foods aren't going down well with your bod, so I would have thought they'd test you, but I might be wrong! Anyone know?

Nik! Please read this!! new
      #170741 - 04/18/05 03:05 AM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I'm also eating very little atm cause I'm waiting to get into my local hospitals elimination diet program. The best way to figure out food intolerances is to eat safely until you have been well with no symptoms for at least 5 days straight. This can take a week or it can take 3 months, depends on your body. Then you issue yourself with Challenges for a few days. If you feel really sick then you're probably intolerant to this type of food. Here are some links for you about elimination diets. I also own all of the books so if you want any more info on it please feel free to email me amyemadden@hotmail.com and I'll try and answer anything I can. I'm pretty suspect that I react to msg (don't we all), a natural food chemical called Amines (found in chocolate, cocoa, cheese, and aged meats)and lactose. If I eat too many of the foods which contain amines I have an attack, if I only eat a few I generally feel unwell. Okay, sorry those links.
This is the hospitals idea on the elimination diet and a few answers about food intolerance: royal prince alfred hospital Just click on the food intolerance links, it's pretty easy to find your way around.
This lady (if you own the book, I have this one too) goes a little overboard, getting you to cut out all food colours, flavours, spices etc, but you don't need to go that far, I probably will initially just to be sure but if you're okay then you don't need to go the whole shebang: food intolerance network and finally here is a little something about candida and food intolerance: candida info
Hope some or all of these are helpful and like I said any questions and I'll try and help as much as I can

--------------------
Amy

#170855 - 04/18/05 10:16 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Right there with ya! But it would be like the blind leading the blind. Please let me know what you end up doing Nik. I found a dietician who is willing to help me, but first session alone is 200 bucks and that doesn't include testing or supplements or the multiple follow ups! I just don't have that kind of money

But I have NOT been able to figure out my intolerances on my own. Perhaps I don't even have any? Maybe all food is making me hurt? Or the stress from not knowing what to eat or what to do or what else may be wrong with me and having no answers.

I know YORK labs does intolerance testing by mailing in a sample of your blood. But it costs close to 400 dollars. And the candida test is separate. You can get that done at enterolabs, but again, expensive.

Are you sure you even have Candida? If not, you wouldn't have to give up your rice, oats and fruits which are not allowed on the candida diet.

Let us know how your appointment goes Wednesday. YOU ARE NOT ALONE!!!!Sorry to say! We must stick together, or we won't make it in all this confusion and pain.

I don't have the weight or knowledge to do the elimination diet on my own either. I would have no clue what I was doing. I am interested in if others have success with someone else testing them. And who that someone was!

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Amy....wow! new
      #170906 - 04/18/05 12:35 PM
nikjones_uk

Thank you for all this! It truly means a lot. I'm so close to the edge right now, and to have someone caring brings me close to tears!! Ooh what a girl I am eh! I will definitely look at the links, thanks again xx

#170908 - 04/18/05 12:38 PM
nikjones_uk

What I think has happened is all of the stress with the new job etc has lowered my immune system, causing the candida to flurrish again and thats when the food intolerances start for me! The oats I have really been over doing, only because without the bread, I'm at a loss with the SF, white rice is the complex refined carbs that aren't supposed to be eaten on the candida diet....

I'm not sure about the natropath testing, but I guess I'll find out on Wed - so fingers crossed eh. I just want this all to end as end of my tether is nigh... xx {{hugs back at ya}}

Hey... new
      #170909 - 04/18/05 12:40 PM
nikjones_uk

..its kinda good to know I'm not the only one - although wouldn't wish all of this on my worst enemy, so your support and kind words soften the blow!

Today was bleh, I felt bleh and still feel bleh and I've hardly eaten a thing, grooo......roll on tomorrow eh xx {hugs}

Oh hon! new
      #170912 - 04/18/05 12:43 PM
Linz

Can you eat the GF SF grains like quinoa or are they bad as well? How about SF veggies?

Any time Nik-nt new
      #171144 - 04/18/05 08:59 PM
doubletrouble

--------------------
Amy

Thats what I'm living off of at the mo.... new
      #171168 - 04/18/05 11:30 PM
nikjones_uk

Quinoa, barley (but they are glutenous) and millet - but they taste so bland and no fruit with them is bleh!! SF veggies are great actually, carrots are my savour - but knowing my luck I'll become intolerant to them as WELL!! argh! Hey ho...another day eh xx

Big hugs Nik, new
      #171170 - 04/18/05 11:35 PM
doubletrouble

As you can tell from my previous post I've been here for years. I've had more diets of plain bread and water than I have fingers and toes and I'm still trying to figure it out. Also I just don't have the self discipline to stick with tasteless foods for long. Hugs to you, I know how much it sucks.

--------------------
Amy

#171175 - 04/18/05 11:47 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

That's ridiculous! Find another naturopath. $200 is too much for a 1st visit!!!!

Beth...hang in there *big hugs*

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Big hugs Nik, new
      #171228 - 04/19/05 03:26 AM
Linz

Don't forget to use ALL the SF veg...that way you're less likely to become intolerant of one. Squashes are great...or peeled, cooked zucchini is SF...you've got the list!

Can you make the quinoa, etc with bouillon and fresh herbs to make it less bland?

Add some herbs or spices to your quinoa and millet... new
      #171304 - 04/19/05 07:20 AM
Augie

..while they are cooking in the water. I add 1/8 tsp of termeric as I read this spice can help with my digestion problems caused by gallbladder not working correctly. It adds flavor to the bland grain and helps my GI system at the same time. But you could add anything you like.

--------------------
~ Beth

Whoops, I just wrote the same thing before seeing your post-nt new
      #171306 - 04/19/05 07:21 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2563 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1446

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review