All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
With Irritable Bowel Syndrome Must You Avoid All Dairy
      #170716 - 04/17/05 10:09 PM
Volatile

Reged: 03/08/05

I know you can't have dairy, but what about dairy substitutes?
What about I can't believe it's not butter substituting for butter, Soy Milk or Lactose Free Milk for Milk, and Soy Cheese for cheese, can you substitute these, should I eat these while I am stablizing, and are these considered to be dairy or not.

I did a serach and was confused because some people said they have these instead of butter, milk, and cheese but Heather said people who have Irritable Bowel Syndrome are affected by more than the lactose in milk, so even lactose free milk still has ingredients which cause problems, what is the deal with this.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: With Irritable Bowel Syndrome Must You Avoid All Dairy new
      #170720 - 04/18/05 12:05 AM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

While it's the lactose that some people are intolerant to it's actually the whey, casein and protein in milk that people with IBS have problems with. I've been there and tried cutting dairy out of my diet many times but found no difference in symptoms so I choose to continue with lactose free milk, but only after checking that it didn't make me worse.
You can use substitutes like Soy milk and rice milk (which are made from soy beans and rice so can contain no dairy at all) but I'd leave it till you've done a couple of days of the "what to eat when you can't eat anything at all" part of the diet. During the first 3 days stick with water, peppermint tea and fennel tea, chammomile is okay too. Maybe if you're desperate it would be okay to put a tiny bit of rice milk on your cereal as pretty much no one reacts to rice. Just go slowly with it and don't guzzle cartons of it in the first few days.
Also once you are stable, you can start adding things like soy cheese but be careful cause some brands have dairy products in them, ALWAYS check the label on anything you buy from the shop, if whey, casein or whey protein powder are mentioned, don't buy them.
I believe that "I can't believe it's not butter" in America is okay, but use it sparingly and not for the first few days.
If you don't understand this please reply and I'll try and help you out.

--------------------
Amy

Fyi... new
      #170725 - 04/18/05 02:13 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

...over here "I can't believe it's not butter" is made with buttermilk, ie. dairy! I use soy margarine sparingly instead of butter. Obviously, the fat content can still be an issue!

As Amy says, lactose-free milk doesn't help IBS. It's only a few people who can tolerate the whey and casein...and you should give yourself at least a good chance to get stable before you experiment.

And yes, you DO have to check all labels. Many soy cheeses containcasein for example. While you're stabilising, you need to avoid all these triggers. However, when you are stable, you can experiement to see how things affect you - some people are okay with the amount of casein in occasional soy cheese for example.

So yeah, you have to avoid ALL dairy (inc. whey, casein and usually lactose as well) ideally until you're stable at least.

Re: With Irritable Bowel Syndrome Must You Avoid All Dairy new
      #170761 - 04/18/05 06:00 AM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I use Smart Squeeze, this stuff ROCKS! It's "fat free" and dairy free, yet tastes like real butter and you can actually spread it. For cheese I use rice cheese, personally I think it tastes better then soy cheese. It does have some casien in it, but it doesn't bother me.

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4591 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 814

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review