All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Overwhelmed and massively confused by what
      #170496 - 04/16/05 11:21 PM
Volatile

Reged: 03/08/05

I can eat for Irritable Bowel Syndrome, one person says no dairy, another talks on how they eat soy pizza, and one more discusses how they can't eat that until they have a stable stomach in it.

I want to know if I can these foods, if eating these will not cause c or bloating. I will add to this list as new foods come to my head.

Brown rice
pizza
rice krispy treats
pesto
turkey sausage
light mayonnaise
ground turkey
peanuts
tomatoe sauce
maple syrup
pickles
pancakes
waffles
soup
salsa
low fat tatter tots

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Overwhelmed and massively confused by what new
      #170499 - 04/16/05 11:27 PM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

I'll respond to this considering what happens to trigger in most people and what foods I know of:

Brown rice - in moderation

pizza - Don't eat it. 1) Greasy, 2) Dairy. Dairy might not affect you as it affects everyone, but the grease alone is a good enough reason to avoid it.

rice krispy treats - Usually OK; be careful of High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS)

peanuts - It's caused C in me, but it varies

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

#170501 - 04/16/05 11:29 PM
Volatile

What about soy cheese pizza?

#170504 - 04/16/05 11:34 PM
Volatile

How can Rice krispy treats be alright, I looked at the label. It says it has high fructose corn syrup near the top, margarine, and below it has a note about this being a milk ingredient, how can I eat this.

#170506 - 04/16/05 11:35 PM
Computr821

Packaged RKTs (the acronym for Rice Krispie Treats) are problematic, but homemade recipes tend to be pretty safe (not to mention easy to make). Do some searches here for recipes, and make sure the Rice Krispies don't have HFCS.

Avidan

--------------------

#170508 - 04/17/05 12:02 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Quote:

I can eat for Irritable Bowel Syndrome, one person says no dairy, another talks on how they eat soy pizza, That's because if you have SOY cheese pizza, you aren't having any dairy products... the soy cheese is replacing the actual cheese, which is a dairy product. Pizza can still be greasy, but if you make it yourself you should be fine. and one more discusses how they can't eat that until they have a stable stomach in it. You should never eat dairy. Period. Things that you aren't sure about (higher fat content, raw veggies (salads, etc)) should be EATEN after you have eaten something ultra safe. Also, it is better to wait until your stomach is STABLE before you try anything you aren't sure about.
Do you understand what I mean?

I want to know if I can these foods, if eating these will not cause c or bloating. I will add to this list as new foods come to my head.

Brown rice Brown rice should be okay in small amounts. Please do a search for brown rice and see what other people have said.
pizza You just don't want to let go of pizza, do you? Pizza is a no-no. Soy cheese is an option for replacing the dairy.
rice krispy treats Make them yourself - marshmallows and rice crispies.
pesto Not safe, I don't think. It has a high fat content and usually has cheese (dairy product) in it.
turkey sausage Remove the casing, it's fine.
light mayonnaise Yes, try to get 'ultra low fat' mayo if you can to be safest.
ground turkey Yes.
peanuts Seems to depend from one person to the next. High fat content.
tomatoe sauce Is okay for some, not for others. Garlic and onions are high sulphur vegetables, and can cause bloating and gas and other symtoms. try plain tomato sauce.
maple syrup Don't know.
pickles Don't know.
pancakes No go. Pancakes are made with milk.
waffles Same as pancakes.
soup What kind of soup?
salsa Should be okay, unless onions bother you.
low fat tatter tots You'll have to actually check the ingredients yourself, but as a guess I would say they might not be safe.

Cheers,
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

One more thing for you, Volatile new
      #170510 - 04/17/05 12:14 AM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi again,
I noticed that you have been asking a lot of the same questions over again, in several different posts. I think that it will be much easier to get through all your questions if you only ask a question once to save space and repeating oneself over and over again.

I think I have mentioned this a few times now, but have you really looked around at the site? A lot of your questions have been answered several times over, you just have to do a search for them.
I know how confused and upset you are, but I think it will be easier for you to get information in one spot instead of loads of posts with the same questions. It also makes it easier for us to find your posts, and to find other people's posts as well.

If you wonder about any one specific food, go to search and do a search for that food. More times than not, you will find posts about them and you can read up there.

Have you looked at the guidelines for the IBS diet? It is a better place to start than just trying to figure out every individual food.. If you haven't, please do this and I think it will really help with your confusion and feeling overwhelmed.

Cheers,
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Rice Krispy Treats. new
      #170511 - 04/17/05 12:37 AM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Go to the search button at the top, type in rice krispy treats and look in the recipie section with no time limits. You will have to make them yourself as the store bought one's contain HFCS. You mostly have to make a lot of stuff yourself. Here are some brands of things that are safe available in America click here for the safe foods from the store
Also check this for snacks and what to eat if you're in a hurry, also read this one which might help the confusion a bit and start here click ALL the links, print out stuff you won't remember, go through it a couple of times and then come ask questions if you're still confused. I was horribly confused when I first read all this stuff, but after reading through it all a couple of times I then asked a few questions and quickly got the hang of it. Hope this helps your confusion a little.

--------------------
Amy

Bump for Volatile, please read rice krispy treats post-nt new
      #170705 - 04/17/05 08:19 PM
doubletrouble

--------------------
Amy

#170715 - 04/17/05 10:05 PM
Volatile

After doing a search, it is still inconclusive so I would like to know if these foods in addition I, trying to stabilize my stomach, can have.

Corn muffin
Blueberry muffin
Soy Milk
Lactose Free Milk
Dark meat Chicken

Also, I assume for Heather's what to eat when you can't anything that you can eat white meat chicken and turkey, I don't think I could avoid protein which these contain.

Volatile new
      #170726 - 04/18/05 02:19 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Have you read though all the diet guidelines? You need to read those BEFORE you start posting really...the info's all there!

Anyway...
Corn muffin & Blueberry muffin - depends! Assuming you're buying these, you'd have to check the ingredients for dairy and HFCS, as well as checking the fat content. I'm not sure what goes in a corn muffin???

Soy Milk is fine, but if you are new to eating soy, then you should increase your intake slowly to allow your bod to adjust (I think it needs different enzymes or something).

Lactose Free Milk is not safe. Casein and whey are also IBS triggers.

Dark meat Chicken...stay away from it for now. Some people are okay with small amounts, but you won't be able to tell if this is you until you're stable.

I think Heather and others do just do SF foods ONLY...but it's for a max of 3 days remember! I didn't want to give up protein either and ate safe protein and did fine.

Re: Volatile new
      #171163 - 04/18/05 11:15 PM
Volatile

I've been having bloating after having bagels, but these have been bagels at the cafeteria, which are cheaper. Would cheaper bagles be more likely to have dairy in it?

What about Au Bon Pain or a fresh bakery, they don't list the ingredients, but are
Bagel
Cinamon Bagel
Seasome Bagel
Crossiant
Can I eat these.

What about
Buffalo flavored chicken
Barbeque chicken
Barbeue Turkey Burger
Burrito with chicken

I would be having these at restaraunts, are they good and safe foods to consume.

#171165 - 04/18/05 11:28 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

cucumbers/pickles KILL my tummy. Major gas, bloating...the works. BUT everyone's tummy is different.

Look for waffles at the HFS (health food store). READ labels. If there is ANY dairy, skip it. Same with pancakes. AND if the fat content is high...stay away. Oh, and make sure no HFS as well (I know, a LOT to remember. You WILL get the hang of it and will come naturally over time).

Ground turkey often upsets my tummy. BUT everyone is different and most folks can tolerate it (just pointing this out so you see how different we all are!)

Veggie soups that are pureed are fantastic! Imagine Soups (make sure no dairy) are super and safe!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#171167 - 04/18/05 11:29 PM
doubletrouble

The bagels should be fine. Just make sure they're white bagels, not wholemeal or whole wheat. If you're buying them from a bakery or the student caf, the easiest thing to do is ask. The person serving you could go ask someone or check the label of whatever the bread is that's being served. Even the cafeteria food will have labels so someone should be able to tell you. If they ask why, just say you have food intoelerances and it's very important you don't eat certain foods. This also goes for restaurants, most wait staff and chef's are happy to make sure you don't have anything you shouldn't as long as you're clear on what you can't have.
The chicken should also be fine, but not if you're still in the first stages. And be sure you don't eat the skin! Also be careful of what's on the burrito. If it has capsicum (I believe you call these peppers) then ask for one without. I'm not really sure what else is on burritos so not much help with that one.

--------------------
Amy

Ask! new
      #171232 - 04/19/05 03:30 AM
Linz

They'll have the ingredients somewhere.

Croissants are never okay as they're always made with butter.

Chicken sounds okay, but no skin and make sure the sauce isn't too fatty. Turkey burger - ask if it contains dairy. Burritos - the veggies will be mainly IF and it could be high in fat.

You have to put some effort in finding/making foods with IBS. If you don't, you'll never beat it.

#171284 - 04/19/05 06:40 AM
Volatile

Thanks, I will ask, and ask long as the bagel is white bread with no dairy and high fructuse corn syrup, I can have it I take.

Re: One more thing for you, Volatile new
      #171288 - 04/19/05 06:50 AM
Volatile

I went and looked at the ingredients, but I don't know if I can eat these or not based on what the ingredients.

Here are some of the ingredients for a plain bagel, can I eat this?
Unbleached Flour (wheat flour, malted barley flour), Water, Natural Sourdough Starter ( wheat, flour, water)

Seasome seed bagel
Unbleached Flour (wheat flour, malted barley flour), Natural Sourdough Starter ( wheat, flour, water)

French toast bagel
Enriched-Unbleached Flour (wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), Cinnamon Chips (sugar, partially hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oil, cinnamon, nonfat milk solids, lecithin as an emulsifier, distilled mono-glycerides), Artificial Egg (corn flour, dextrose, salt, soy oil, egg yolk solids, soya lecithin, beta carotene), Maple Bits (sugar, corn flakes, corn flour, partially hydrogenated cottonseed and soybean oil, natural and artificial flavor, corn syrup solids, caramel color),Natural Sourdough Starter (wheat flour, water), Yeast, Brown Sugar

Thanks for informing me about crossiants and muffins, I was taken back with how much fat these have and dairy I will not eat them.

Bagels new
      #171291 - 04/19/05 06:51 AM
Linz

Yep, if it's white bread, contains no dairy and no HFCS it should be fine for IBS...but have you been checked out for celiac and gluten/wheat intolerances?

Bagels new
      #171293 - 04/19/05 06:53 AM
Linz

The plain and sesame bagels are fine, the french toast one contains dairy.

Again, you must become knowledgeable new
      #171302 - 04/19/05 07:10 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

about what ingredients are allowed and which are not. The nonfat milk solids are obviously a no go! Again , no dairy is allowed on this diet.

You would not have to list every single food item you eat or would like to eat if you would just take the time to read Heathers guidelines on what ingredients to look for and to stay away from in products.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Bagels new
      #171305 - 04/19/05 07:21 AM
Volatile

Last year I was tested for a wheat allergy, it came back positive, I went off wheat for two weeks to check if the symptoms stopped. I was still eating dairy and they didn't, it was determined I did not have an allergy to wheat. The gastrointenstional doctor I see now said they ran further tests and that am I not allergic to wheat, I think this means I don't have a wheat gluten intolerance.

#171309 - 04/19/05 07:26 AM
Computr821

There is a difference between having a wheat allergy and gluten intolerance (I think...GFs can correct). You should still be tested for celiac.

Avidan

--------------------

#171317 - 04/19/05 07:36 AM
Linz

Yeah, a wheat allergy, a gluten intolerance and celiac are 3 different things.

2 weeks isn't really long enough for an exlcusion diet - 3 weeks to 3 months is recommended. And a true exclusion diet should cut out ALL your likely triggers and then reintroduce them one by one. As you tested positive, you might want to cut out wheat and gluten now (as well as the dairy) and then reintroduce one after one month and then the other after another month. However,t his requires patience and diligence.

#171324 - 04/19/05 07:41 AM
MCV

Reged: 01/04/05
Loc: Manchester, NH

People can have intolerances to certain foods and not be allergic to them!

--------------------
>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<
Michelle
IBS-A, pain predominant

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1892 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4642

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review