All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Help.... No colonoscopy until June!!!
      #170398 - 04/16/05 06:31 PM
Lisa R.

Reged: 12/13/04

Hi Everyone,

This is my first time posting to this board. I am currently undergoing a battery of tests to try to get a proper diagnosis for whatever is going on with me. I have had a bunch of blood tests (which came back normal except for a slight iron deficiency), stool tests (which I think were normal since my doctor didn't call me back), and an abdominal/pelvic ultrasound. I go for an upper GI series in 2 weeks, but can't get in for a colonoscopy until June. I am 27 years old and I am terrified that this is something awful like colon cancer. I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on how to stay relaxed for the next few months... it seems like forever. I am interested in trying Heather's diet, but I think I have a soy allergy, so a lot of her recipies are difficult for me. Anyone have any thoughts to help this nervous Nellie????

Thanks a bunch,
Lisa

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Help.... No colonoscopy until June!!! new
      #170401 - 04/16/05 07:15 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Lisa,
Welcome to the website, I hope you find some good information here.
I know how frustrating it is to wait for tests - I too have to get more tests done, and have to wait until June to see my GI doctor, and then who knows how long until a test.

You can go on the IBS diet without eating soy - I didn't have any soy for the first long time I was on the diet. Give it a try and just avoid the soy stuff.

Try yoga or hypnosis to relax while you are waiting for your tests, and to try and keep in mind how unlikely it is that you have something like colon cancer at your age and everything.

Good luck, we'll be here if you need anything!
Cheers,
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Hi Lisa! new
      #170477 - 04/16/05 09:29 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Welcome to the boards!

I'm kind of in the same boat... I'm not waiting on a colonoscopy, but I have to have more tests done, and at this point I'm waiting at least until July. JULY!! Sheesh.

I second Steph's suggestions to try yoga and hypnosis - even just talking to a good therapist can help quite a bit. I know that when I was waiting for my initial diagnosis, my therapist was pretty helpful. Like Steph said, try to keep calm and remind yourself that cancer is unlikely at this point.

In the meantime, definitely try Heather's diet - by cutting out the trigger foods and eating a diet high in soluble fiber foods like rice and potatoes, you'll only be doing your body a favor... and you might even feel quite a lot better, quickly.

You can definitely do the IBS diet without eating soy. Other than soy milk, I really don't do much in the way of soy products at all, and I'm definitely not missing out. Heather's recipes are delicious, but not a requirement for going on the diet. If there's something in particular that you'd like to know an alternative for, just ask and we'll be glad to suggest something.

Good luck!

I agree with Casey and Stephie! new
      #170525 - 04/17/05 04:31 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Start the diet and something like yoga! The only soy product I use is soy milk...and lots of people use rice or other alternative "milks" instead.

And remember that in someone your (our) age, IBS is far more likely than colon cancer!

Question for Casey new
      #170552 - 04/17/05 07:34 AM
Lisa R.

Thanks for your reply, Casey. I actually have started practicing yoga and it does help :-) I was looking at your profile though and noticed that you mention anxiety disorders. I'm just wondering if you think there's any link between your anxiety disorders and your IBS?? I've never been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder, mostly because I'm too embarassed to admit that it's a problem, but lately I've been thinking of trying to find a psychologist to help me with it. Most of the time I can keep it under control through yoga, etc. But there are times when my anxiety is very powerful. I'm not sure I can explain it to anyone, but was wondering if you have any thoughts on this?

Thank You!
Lisa

Reply for Lisa! new
      #170703 - 04/17/05 08:17 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Hi Lisa! Sorry I didn't see this right away... the boards have been especially busy this weekend, and I'm having a heck of a time keeping up!

It's not the same for everyone, but for me, there is a very definite connection between my anxiety disorders and my IBS... so much so that when I finally broke down and started taking anti-anxiety medication (I tried therapy first, but after dealing with worsening anxiety for years upon years, I decided that medication was a good idea), I noticed a great improvement in my IBS symptoms. Again, it's not the same for everyone, but there's a definite mind-gut connection, and it certainly can't hurt to address anxiety issues anyway - at the very least, you'll be less anxious!

Like I mentioned, I did try therapy first, and I totally recommend it, if it's something you're considering. I know what you mean about being embarassed... I've had generalized anxiety disorder since I was a child, and I didn't get diagnosed or get help for it till I was 29! I'm really glad I finally worked up the nerve to address the issue, though, because it really was my worst underlying IBS "trigger". I'm not "cured", mind you, but compared to a year ago, I'm a whole new person.

I'm not sure if this was a helpful reply or not - heh - I'm really tired and I tend to babble when I'm not quite with it! Feel free to ask more questions, or email me anytime if you need to. I know all about how powerful anxiety can be! (Oh, the stories I can tell. )

#170722 - 04/18/05 12:14 AM
Sand

Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I do suggest you call your doctor about your stool results. I think it's important to always get positive confirmation about all test results.

Colon cancer at your age is very unlikely, but I think it's great you're getting all the tests done to confirm an IBS diagnosis. It's nerve wracking now, but once they're done it will be a great load off your mind. I think yoga and the other suggestions people made are great ways to relax, but one time when I was sweating out some tests for a couple of months I finally broke down and asked my doctor if she could prescribe a sleeping pill. She did and it helped a lot. I didn't take it every night, but just being able to get a good night's sleep once or twice a week made it easier to cope.

Since the odds are pretty much overwhelming that you're going to end up with an IBS diagnosis, I'd say definitely give Heather's diet a try. I'll second the fact that rice milk works nicely everywhere I've tried it as a substitute for soy milk. I haven't tried the rice "ice cream" yet, but I hear Rice Dream Carob Almond Chip is yummy!

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Reply for Lisa! new
      #170865 - 04/18/05 10:47 AM
MikeE

Reged: 03/31/05
Loc: Seattle, WA

I agree with Casey. For me I've figured out most of my food triggers, but I still have a stress/anxiety trigger for my symptoms. I even got some nice little panic attacks here and there. Right now I'm seeing a therapist for this, hoping that I will get some relief there as well and be back to not having to live by the orders of my GI tract.

Mike

PS. One more point. For all those that are getting a colonoscopy be sure to make the GI Dr take a biopsy. You don't want to have to go back in when it comes back negative, I know I wouldn't want to.

Edited by MikeE (04/18/05 10:49 AM)

#170869 - 04/18/05 10:58 AM
lj

Reged: 09/24/04

Lisa,

You may want to continue to check back with the facility where you scheduled the colonoscopy. Believe it or not, many people chicken out and cancel the procedure. When I got mine I originally had an appt. set for mid July and I just kept checking back every day (which is what the nurse told me to do) and I got it done in May, so it really can make a big difference. Good luck.

Laura

#170882 - 04/18/05 11:33 AM
MikeE

Reged: 03/31/05
Loc: Seattle, WA

LOL Good point, I never made my original appointment. Took me about a year before a got the b... err guts to go in and get the colonscopy. Glad I did!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1973 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 951

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review