All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Is This A Good Diet?
      #170394 - 04/16/05 05:52 PM
Volatile

Reged: 03/08/05

I'm having one of those days where my Irritable Bowel Syndrome is awful, probably because I have eaten a lot of foods which cause Irritable Bowel Syndrome lately.
I read what Heather said to eat when having significant amount of symptoms, and I wanted to ask if what I have eaten since breakfast is alright for my current stomach and bloating.
In other words, is eating what I am eating now going to get my stomach to not be bloated soon?

After breakfast where I had scrambled eggs, which I now have learned not to eat, I had

Crispex
8 oz Soy Milk

Grilled Chicken breast
24 oz water

Turkey wrap with pickles
Rice with vinegar
Carrots
16 oz water

Is what I have been eating good for my allieving this? Are wraps alright to eat when having a lot bloating occuring.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Is This A Good Diet? new
      #170404 - 04/16/05 07:26 PM
Volatile

I also had corn muffin, bowl of Rice kripies, is this a fine diet I have done?

#170407 - 04/16/05 07:34 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

It looks like you did a good job with your diet today! It's hard to change, isn't it? WHen I was first eliminating foods and trying to figure out what triggered an attack in me, all I would dream about was eating steak, pizza, milkshakes. But eventually you find food you really like, that tastes as good--if not better--than the triggers. Plus, you'll start feeling better physically. If you want to see what someone with IBS typically eats, you should check out the IBS Fitness board--many of us post our daily meals there.

Have you had soy milk before? It can take a couple of weeks for your body to get used to, so you may experience a little bloating from this. The grilled chicken breast was an excellent choice and the turkey wrap sounds safe. Wraps are safe as long as they don't contain the triggers--avoid creamy sauces, cheese, etc. I don't know about the pickles--although I haven't had problems with pickles. Did you have raw carrots or cooked? I learned the hard way that for someone with IBS-D, raw carrots can be difficult to digest, which would cause more bloating. Steaming carrots is easy.

Have you tried taking Phazyme or drinking fennel tea to ease the bloating?

I hope this helps.

#170424 - 04/16/05 08:15 PM
Volatile

I had steamed carrots.
I just had fennel tea. After I had the corn muffin, I felt less bloated, I felt more bloated after the fennel tea.
Why, isn't fennel tea supposed to ease this?
I can't make the tea with boiling water because I don't have a stove, instead I used hot water from the sink, is that alright.

#170442 - 04/16/05 08:35 PM
Volatile

If I put the fennel tea is warm not boiling water is this alright? Why would having fennel tea cause more bloating, and how much a day should I have.

#170478 - 04/16/05 09:32 PM
Volatile

Alright, so I changed my diet today, my first meal had an Irritable Bowel Syndrome food, but since then I have been sticking to soluable fiber food. I had as my last meal Crispex, soluable fiber, followed by Grilled Chicken breast and 12 oz water. Why is it that I felt bloated after eating this. Could it be the food which caused Irritable Bowel Syndrome is still in my body, I am still constipated, if I eat this for more days should it go away with this.

#170483 - 04/16/05 10:23 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I can't say for sure when the bloating will go away and I doubt anyone could but it can take months to stabilise properly on this diet. Some of us found instant relief, some of us it took months and a very few of us have had no luck at all. It should help, but foods can stay in your system for days causing trouble. Especially constipation wise. Hope this helps.

--------------------
Amy

Fennel tea new
      #170519 - 04/17/05 04:19 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Make sure you sip the tea as drinking anything fast can cause bloat.

Have as much as you want! Now I'm stable, I only drink it when I'm feeling a bit iffy.

#170520 - 04/17/05 04:19 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

You shouldn't drink with your meals. Though it's been a while since I read the books - I think water should be drunk in between meals... and it shouldn't be ice cold. If you have problems with constipation, you need to make sure you drink a lot, but it needs to be between meals, not during. Water can disrupt digestion of your food. It takes a little getting used too - but I don't even notice anymore. I just drink about 30 min before (to take my fiber and/or enzymes) and about an hour after.

Bloating, C, etc new
      #170521 - 04/17/05 04:21 AM
Linz

Firstly, IBS triggers can cause trouble for days after eating them. Secondly, an unstable IBS GI tract takes a while to calm down. Thirdly, as a C, you must do the SF only foods for a few days at most before you start to add IF in SAFELY.

Food sounds great tho!

Btw...Heather recommends not drinking with meals as this can cause more bloating in some people.

#170542 - 04/17/05 05:41 AM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

With any tea, you should use boiling water, otherwise the goodies from the herbs don't get into the water properly, and so they don't get inside you properly.
You might want to invest in a cheap kettle for teas, if you can afford it.

--------------------
*Emma*

#170574 - 04/17/05 11:46 AM
Volatile

How much water should you drink at one time? I noticed today when I drank 12 oz that when I tried right after to drink another 12 oz I began to feel bloated, how much water should I drink at one time and how much time should elapse before I have another water.

Re: Fennel tea new
      #170576 - 04/17/05 11:52 AM
Volatile

Here is what I have eaten today

Corn muffin
banana

Plain bagel
3 Egg whites
Fennel Tea

I had the Fennel tea with warm not boiling water, in the future when I have this I will do so with only boiling water.
As of now I feel bloated, but less than I did yesterday. In fact starting last night when I began to watch out for what I was eating I felt better, however I still am c as I am not getting out as much as I should when I go to the latrine.

My next question is about what to eat when the stomach is as mine is unstable as I saw Heather say to eat only soluable fiber, but does this mean I can't eat poultry, turkey, or eggs, as I need protein in it. I thought if I had the soulable fiber first than the poultry I would be fine.

Also, what about cross containmation. When I peel the eggs and take out the yolks, or when I get grilled Chicken the comes off the same grill as red meat, it is impossible for there not to be some traces of egg yolk still on the egg white, is this alright or will trace samples cause isses for me.

How much longer based on your experience will it be if I keep eating this way until my bowel move normally and I am not bloated for this.

#170587 - 04/17/05 01:16 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

You're on the right track, VOLATILE! Keep on charting/journalling to sort/organize your triggers. You will notice patterns, which will assist you in discerning what causes bloating/C/D, etc. in you personally. Is there anyway you could add a little safe fruit to your diet, perhaps as snacks? (i.e. unsweetened applesauce cups, bananas) If you are in a dorm room, they keep just fine. How about soups? There's a list of safe soups that are great for a snack (i.e. Thai Kitchen). I used to keep those on hand while in University, as well as rice crackers/rice cakes. Going to long without food, causes me gassiness. Also drinking too much with my meals, makes me a little bloated or causes the food to go through me undesirabley, too quickly. It dilutes your gastric juices, apparently.

#170594 - 04/17/05 02:02 PM
Volatile

I don't understand, I now feel more bloated again.
I just ate white rice with chopped red pepers, carrots, then 2 Rotessiere chicken but only the white meat, and 8 oz water.
Why am I bloated?

How much longer is it going to take until I am not bloated and my bowels are going again, it has been 24 hours since I last had a food which cause Irritable Bowel Syndrome, so why is it still happening.

Volatile... new
      #170614 - 04/17/05 03:35 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Please please please understand that it takes a while to get stabilized. The safe foods that you are eating are great but it's going to take some time.

Have you gone on the "what to eat when you can't eat anything" diet for any period of time yet? (web page) If not, I'd highly recommend that you eat just the foods on that list for a few days - and only a few days. It's certainly a boring diet, but it's just for a few days (no more) and it will help soothe your gut. Then you can carefully start reintroducing other foods using the tips on that page.

Re: Volatile... new
      #170651 - 04/17/05 05:39 PM
Volatile

I have in fact looked at that, and in the last day if you look again at what I have eaten I think I have followed this but I still feel after eating bloated. I had half a corn muffin as a snack.
I just had dinner, I had white rice with olive oil, not much, carrots, 4 slices of Turkey breast with spicy mustard, and 12 oz mustard, and I felt bloated after, why?
Can you take a look at what I have eaten today, I think I followed what to eat when you can't anything and I still feel bloated, in a few days if I keep eating like I have today should I be alright.

Volatile, a question for you new
      #170655 - 04/17/05 05:43 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi again,

Have you seen your doctor about your IBS, by the way?
Has he/she given you any information on IBS, or specifically on medications that may help with your symptoms?
Sometimes diet is not enough, and medication is needed to get stable.

Please remember that it takes time to get stable, more than a couple of days. Keep in mind that you have only just started changing your diet and you previously were eating a lot of foods that were likely severely irritating your gut.

Post the ingredients of your corn muffins, I am curious about what is in them if you get bloated after every time you eat them.

--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Volatile... new
      #170672 - 04/17/05 06:56 PM
kshsmom

Carrots can cause gas and bloating in some people who are sensitive. They are on the list of "gas producing veggies."

Even non-IBS people have troubles with carrots, celery, onions, cauliflower... -- you may have to experiment to see what causes it. That's why keeping a food diary is important. You see what foods keep popping up around your symptoms that might be triggers. Remember that sometimes the trigger happens nearly right away - and sometimes it can take up to 24 hours.

Re: Volatile, a question for you new
      #170700 - 04/17/05 08:15 PM
Volatile

I would like to post the ingredients, but the corn muffins come from the cafeteira and I don't have them.

My last meal was a bagel, blueberry muffin from starbucks, and a banana, and now I feel more bloated than I have all day.
I have been constipated for a long time, and I look like I have a 50 pound gut, I want to know if my last meal could have contributed to this.

Aren't blueberry muffins white flour, which you can in fact eat, should I not have had that?

As for carrots, Heather said carrots are a soluable fiber, which is why I choose them and ate.

#170702 - 04/17/05 08:16 PM
Stephie

Most muffins are really high in fat, especially those ones from starbucks and are made with dairy, avoid them.
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Bump - Doctor/Meds question for you -nt- new
      #170704 - 04/17/05 08:18 PM
Stephie

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

#170711 - 04/17/05 09:44 PM
Volatile

This is irksome, I guess this means that once again, I tried to avoid all trigger foods, and once again, I had at least two, chopped peppers and muffins. I really want to believe this is going to get easier as it goes along. I am trying, I can't take the c and bloating.

#170714 - 04/17/05 09:59 PM
Volatile

Alright, I want to know if what I ate today is good for stabilzing my stomach and if I follow what I ate today for a few more days if I should be on track to alleiving my c and bloating or not. I want to know what I can to improve my diet so that I am helping to get over Irritable Bowel Syndrome so let me know, keep in mind I am trying to add muscle, I need protein, I am worried that all these carbs are going to make me fat, I don't want to add fat I want to add muscle to my body.

Meal 1 (10:30)
Corn Muffin
Banana (less bloated)

Meal 2 (1:50)
Bagel
3 Egg whites
Fennel tea warm not boiling (less bloated)

Meal 3 (4:40)
Plate of white Rice with chopped peppers
Carrots
2 Rotessiere chicken white meat
12 oz water (more bloated)

Meal 4 (6:30)
Corn Muffin (bloated)

Meal 5 (8:00)
Plate of white Rice
Carrots
4 slice Turkey breast with mustard
12 oz water (bloated)

Meal 6 (10:20)
Bagel
Blueberry muffin
12 oz water (bloated)

Meal 7 (11:30)
2 slices of Turkey breast
8 oz Soy Milk (bloated)

As you can see, I went from feeling better, but not where I was allieved of bloating, to feeling bloated as it went on.
I wonder if the chopped peppers, Blueberry muffin, and Soy Milk are trigger foods, I thought white flour and corn flour which muffins have were fine to have, is it.

Some answers new
      #170727 - 04/18/05 02:23 AM
Linz

Cross contamination from egg yolks is fine as the problem with yolks is their high fat content, so a tiny bit is fine really.

And I wouldn't worry about the grill to be honest! Although red meat is a problem b/c it's hard to digest as well as higher in fat, a trace amount of that shouldn't be a problem.

I answered the portein thing elsewhere...IMHO safe protein is fine.

REMEMBER that as a C you should cut IF out for a max of 3 days (then eating it safely of course)!!! I can't tell you when you'll feel better as everyone is different, C's often take longer to stabilise and bloating is often the hardest symptom to eradicate.

Are you taking a SFS yet? You should do.

Water new
      #170728 - 04/18/05 02:25 AM
Linz

Try to sip during the day! Personally I can have an 8oz glasss at a time, but everyone's different. If it makes you feel full straight away, then it was probably too much.

Your menu new
      #170729 - 04/18/05 02:29 AM
Linz

Peppers are IF veggies! So you shouldn't be eating them yet..and when you do, they should be well cooked. That would be my solution as to what made you more bloated!

As I said elsewhere, you need to check the muffins for dairy, HFCS and high fat levels. And also, soy needs to be introduced gradually.

Plus, Heather VV recommends NOT drinking with meals as it can make you more bloated! Also try not to drink too much at one time as that will also make you bloated.

Btw...you are repeating ALOT of questions atm. Can you try and keep track of what you've already asked about!

Linz new
      #170773 - 04/18/05 06:33 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Stephie already told him all this information as well as many of the other questions he continually asks. As have countless others. He just isn't listening.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#170804 - 04/18/05 08:31 AM
kshsmom

They are safe because of soluble fiber -- but some people are prone to gas and so should watch out for veggies that might cause those problems. Carrots might not be your trigger -- but they might be. Keeping a food and stress diary could help. That's right. It could even be stress -- or not enough exersize or too much. It could also be that you haven't taken any soluble fiber supplements yet. With IBS it is often a balancing act -- and it takes a while to get your body in balance. Even then you will have setbacks -- you just recover from them faster -- and your IBS doesn't ruin your life anymore. You know how to control it. Everyone is an individual though --a nd you have to learn how to control what triggers your body -- what sets it off. There are some guidelines -- but just like some people have higher metabolisms or higher or lower body temps --- some people need to avoid different foods or use different combinations of supplements and fibers to keep their IBS in check. This will take time -- it will not be an instant fix.

Re: Some answers new
      #170932 - 04/18/05 01:45 PM
Volatile

I guess since I don't know the ingredients in the Corn Muffin as I get it from the cafeteria, I should not eat it. I would think since the cafeteria usually buys lower quality it would contain dairy or high fructose corn syruo, but I could not say for a fact.
What ingredients when I go to a store should I look for in a muffin and not eat if it contains that.

On a different note, I am feeling less c, I went to bathroom today and had a good bowel movement, but I still feel bloated. In fact, after I went to bathroom my stomach got more bloated, is this normal, why would this happen, and why is this bloating still here and what can I do to get rid of it now. I ran a lot today, I hate having this bloating with all the exercise I put in, it's like my stomach handicaps and saps out all the work I have.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3127 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8320

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review