All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Anyone with severe GERD and IBS, help please
      #170357 - 04/16/05 01:11 PM
_Willow

Reged: 04/06/05
Loc: Canada.

I need to know what's safe for you to eat!!!
What I'm seeing right now is I'm so limited it's scary! What do you do to avoid GERD and IBS attacks? Are there more than 5 foods? How do you make it not 100% bland? Are spices off limits? I get GERD with pepper, spices,ketchup, mustard, you name it. *SIGH*

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone with severe GERD and IBS, help please new
      #170375 - 04/16/05 03:16 PM
HeidnOut

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: CA, USA

I use Mrs. Dash spices. I have to read the label to see what spices are in it. It has no salt and you may be able to use "very" little for seasoning purposes and not worsen your symptoms.

I eat mainly chicken which I boil for 10 minutes to rid the fat then bake in foil - seasoned and covered for approx 30 minutes. It doesn't dry out and is extremely tender. I also eat Tilapia fish which doesn't smell or taste real fishy. I bake it in foil too. Sometimes Halibut or Sole.

For gas/bloating, I take either Phazyme or Gas-X along with Beano. It works wonders. I take FiberChoice 3 times a day which also is a Prebiotic and Probiotic. There's also a product called Digestive Advantage - IBS that has Lactobacillus Cultures and L Lysine. I've had good luck with it. I'm taking a chewable Acidophilus too. Calcium can be constipating so I take one every other day. Lots of water too.

Gerd: Prilosec (over the counter) is good but I take Nexium which is the same maker. Watch acidic foods. Chamomile tea is excellent (for me) after I eat for indigestion and bloating. No Peppermint Tea if you have GERD.

Hope this helps. Heidi

Thanks Heidi... new
      #170479 - 04/16/05 10:00 PM
_Willow

because I have asthma severely and these new, lovesly diseases too, I want to be careful to manage things as best I can without having to take much medication. Right now I'm doing Zantac. it's always worked for me, I took it while PG-and was definitely GERD then!! whoa.
It's a great thing that I love fish and seafood i think.

Thanks for the tip on Mrs. dash. I may still use a bit of fats, but try to limit them as best I can.... And boy oh boy is my 2 year old in for eating right!!!Sounds like Dh is now LUCKY he works nights!LOL!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

GERDs etc new
      #170524 - 04/17/05 04:29 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Get a good PPI like Nexium and take it daily...IMHO they're better than Zantac for controlling a flare.

Herbs are great! Not hot, not spicy, not acidic! I love dried rosemary or basil in particular, but they are all so yummy!

thanks so much Linz.... new
      #170573 - 04/17/05 11:31 AM
_Willow

I have no clue how to cook, so this is a serious adventure for me. i never did get counselled on cooking, so much of my diet was canned and ffozen foods. Jeez, since I've eaten the Heather way,I've lost 5 pounds already!!!

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Bump -nt new
      #171060 - 04/18/05 07:31 PM
_Willow

really, any more answers, or more ideas for spicing it up without spicing it up?

--------------------
Keep on keepin' on...

Re: Anyone with severe GERD and IBS, help please new
      #171142 - 04/18/05 08:53 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

Not really a whole lot of help but I have it. I'm on a pill once a day called Nexium (which your doc can prescribe for you.) The best thing to do if it's really acting up is to stick to a bland diet (yep, back to the rice and bread with marg and plain pasta) for a couple of days till your symptoms ease up, then start adding in a few other things, just watch for what bothers it for you and definately stay away from ANYTHING minty! Oh and be sure you leave at least 2 or 3 hours between eating or drinking anything before you go to bed, if you need to prop yourself up on an extra pillow or stick some books under the bottom feet of the top end of your bed to raise the mattress so you sleep on a slight incline. Other than that I don't honestly know. Hope at least something here has been helpful.

--------------------
Amy

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 319 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5705

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review