All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Re: Toothpaste, weight training on the diet, and a few other things... new
      #170426 - 04/16/05 08:19 PM
Volatile

Reged: 03/08/05

Thanks. I find it funny that you can eat oatmeal but I can't, is this common with Irritable Bowel Syndrome to not be able to eat oatmeal?

Almond butter? Does that have similar amounts of protein and fat as peanut butter?

Looking at your diet, it looks like you're not getting enough protein. I read in order to add muscle you need 1.5 times your bodyweight of protein, which for me would be over 200 grams of protein, how can I do this.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Retrograde & Volatile new
      #170428 - 04/16/05 08:19 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I have to say that I find that exercising is one of the number one things that HELPS my IBS. While I'm exercising I usually feel great, and it helps in the long run too.

I weight train (about 45 mins each workout) 3x per week and do interval cardio training 3x per week - I do short distance sprints, so I'm no long distance runner. I can't say I've ever heard of runner's d but that's not something that happens to me...

One thing I have found though is that 'chugging' water is terrible for bloating, and that's something I have to watch myself with while working out, although I do find that when I'm vigorously exercising it's easier to drink more than if I was just sitting around. I also never drink cold water, only room temperature. Cold water just kills my stomach. You can also take in lots of air while drinking water, which will definitely cause bloating, so watch yourself on that.

Hope that helps.

#170430 - 04/16/05 08:22 PM
Volatile

I don't get that, but what I have found weird is that when I sweat outside of the gym I get bloated. Can Irritable Bowel Syndrome and sweating make you bloated, does it.

Re: Toothpaste, weight training on the diet, and a few other things... new
      #170432 - 04/16/05 08:25 PM
retrograde

Yup, oatmeal is definitely a problem for some folks with IBS, especialy those prone to bloating - there are lots of people here on the forums who can't eat it. But for others, like me, it's ok.

Check out my fitday journal - I get about 25%+ calories from protein a day, which is about 110-130g, 1-1.2x my bodyweight in pounds (keep in mind I'm a lot smaller than you at 125). Trust me, I get enough protein! Generally recommendations are around 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight. Some places list higher than that (like 1.5) but that tends to get into really intense, competition bodybuilding and weightlifting. It's up to you how much you get, but I'd maintain it is very possible and very easy to eat high protein on this diet.

Almond butter is similar to peanut butter with regards to fat and protein, so agian you need to watch it and have only a little bit at a time. It's also less likely to have hydrogenated oils (a health issue not an ibs one, all oils are triggers but hydrogenated ones like trans fats are just nasty for your body). And I also just prefer the taste to peanut butter, personally.

Re: Thanks for your quick reply! It helped a lot!-nt- new
      #170433 - 04/16/05 08:25 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

#170434 - 04/16/05 08:27 PM
Volatile

I usually only sip water when working out I don't know if that is what is optimal for it.

#170435 - 04/16/05 08:28 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Do you mean after working out, after leaving the gym? Could it be a change in the temperature? I know that when I get cold I get cramps and start feeling bloated. Maybe that change causes just enough stress to affect your digestive system. Did you know that stress, good and bad, can be a trigger for IBS?

Hmm...

Or maybe after working out you're just breathing extra hard--maybe sucking in air through your mouth?

When you get bloated do you usually get relief after having a bowel movement? How long does the bloat stay?

#170436 - 04/16/05 08:28 PM
retrograde

You mean when you sweat, when you're not exercising? I find that if I'm out and about and I get overheated or flustered that can be a stress and can make my stomach hurt. Also, a lot of people have trouble with humidity in the weather causing attacks, maybe there's a link?

The sweating, overheated thing is just while I'm out and moving though, because I find that saunas and steams can be very relaxing = helpful for my IBS.

Yay! I'm glad it helped! nt new
      #170437 - 04/16/05 08:29 PM
retrograde

#170439 - 04/16/05 08:31 PM
Volatile

Sweating when I'm moving but not working out, say lifting boxes into a truck.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4756 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 31198

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review