All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Me, a 21 year old
      #170292 - 04/15/05 09:17 PM
Volatile

Reged: 03/08/05

I'm so upset about what appears to be true, that Irritable Bowel Syndrome is what I have now.
I have several questions about this disorder, the first of which is how the heck can I, a 21 year old male, have Irritable Bowel Syndrome, as most people who have this are middle age women?

A few weeks ago I found out I was lactose intolerant. The doctor asked me to go off dairy and wheat products for a week, and see what happened. I unfortunatley forgot beer was a wheat product. Anyway, when I did this I noticed my symptoms were done, but not gone. When I would eat egg saled or peanut butter, I would feel bloated.
The main symptoms I have are excessive bloating, so bad that for a 21 year old who is in shape I look extremely fat, and constipation or diarhaha.

I notice that when I have hamburgers, mayonaise, egg saled, seafood saled, omlets, deserts, especially cookies which give me diaraha in minutes, peanut butter, beer, roast beef, all make me bloated instantly.

I have several questions
1) Can I have lactose intolerance and Irritable Bowel Syndrome, how common is it to have both?

2) This is such a pain in the ass and it's hurting me and my life. I am 21 and in college, I want to be able to meet up with friends and eat out with them. I have tried this and when I do, I order a sandwich and the stomach is bloated. I can't live like this, I have to be able to eat something at sandwhich restaruants, I can't eat my meals at home, I am an active person. What the heck do I do here?

3) Alcohol. I am in college, and while drinking a lot is not the most healthy thing, I need to be able to drink sometimes. I can't sit there and be the only one not drinking, this is so boring, but I can't tolerate the bloating. Alcohol is one of the worst Irritable Bowel Syndrome triggers for me, but for God sakes, why does the lord have to curse with this bloating? It is unreasonable to ask me to give up alcohol and eating out, I am a college student trying to have a social life, I can't be saying "Sorry, I can't go out to eat because of my stomach", and have to eat by myself.

4) I'm trying to gain muscle, meaning I'm trying to gain weight, how do I do this and diet for Irritable Bowel Syndrome at the same time?

5) I live at school and now eat in the cafe, I also have to eat out a couple times a week. What can I eat that won't cause me to get bloated? I have to be able to eat out.

6) So is it true, I can no longer drink, go to bars, eat out, have pizza, enjoy life, I have to stay inside and shelter myself from fun because everywhere I look there is some trigger for this? How the heck can I live a normal life and not be bloated?

7) Will lactaid pills help at all, so far they have not done a lot.

8) Worth asking again, why is that I a 21 year old male likely have Irritable Bowel Syndrome, I am not a woman, this is awful news.

9) Could I get a sample diet to allieve Irritable Bowel Syndrome, what has worked?

10) Does this mean I can't eat meat anymore, I have to stick to rice and chicken as my food?

11) Hypnosis, the cure, is it?

Edited by Volatile (04/15/05 09:29 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Welcome! new
      #170295 - 04/15/05 09:34 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,
I am just writing to say Hello and Welcome, and to let you know that I am gonna write you a reply to your post in a minute but since it's a lotta questions, I thought I would just let you know I'm about to reply and to say Welcome and not to be shy from looking around the site.
--Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: Welcome! new
      #170297 - 04/15/05 11:28 PM
AerobicsAngel

Reged: 03/24/05
Loc: London Ontario Canada

I know....IBS is a living hell. I want to drink too and eat..anything, just eat away from home. It has taken me a year to be able to finally go out once and a while and have 1 or 2 beers and be ok. I get gassy after drinking, like bad stomach pains and 2 days later a little bit of D but nothing to be worried about beer gives a lot of people the shits, HAHHAHHA. (Can I say that?) I eat a lot of things I shouldn't when I'm at home because usually if it's going to affect me it will right after I eat it or a few days later after being C. Thankfully when the day comes that I have to go to the bathroom a hundred times and it's painful, I am usually at home. It's happend maybe twice at work in the last year, I just try to avoid eating at work, it's the only way through it. Lately I've been walking steadily for about half hour 45 minutes everyday and I've felt way better, also been eating and drinking real milk. It hit me of course but not as bad. Anyway, I am so sorry you have to join this crowd. I'm not going to welcome you happily or cheery because I know it friggen sucks a**.

Re: Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Me, a 21 year old new
      #170298 - 04/16/05 12:54 AM
Stephie

Hi again!
Okay, here we go! First of all, it is completely understandable how you are feeling right now and I am hoping that by getting some advice and suggestions you will be feeling loads better very soon. Let's look at your questions...

how the heck can I, a 21 year old male, have Irritable Bowel Syndrome, as most people who have this are middle age women?
Okay, that's an easy one for me! I am 22, so not middle aged and I have been dealing with IBS for as long as I can remember.. just didn't know that's what it was! And although the MAJORITY of people who have IBS are female, there are still lots of men who have it. On this site, even, we have quite a few men who frequently post. So it's not a 'woman thing' or anything that you have strangely gotten - it's an everybody thing, unfortunately! In fact, if you do a Search on this board, I believe someone asked the other day how old everyone on here was when they first got IBS and most people first got symptoms when they were quite young.

I have several questions
1) Can I have lactose intolerance and Irritable Bowel Syndrome, how common is it to have both?
Okay, here is the deal with lactose intolerant. People that are lactose intolerant don't also have to have IBS - they can be completely healthy as long as they avoid the sugar, lactose. With IBS, though, it works differently. It is often confused with lactose intolerance when we notice milk makes us sick, but it is not as simple as lactose intolerance - Not only do IBS tummies react badly to LACTOSE, but to other milk proteins that are in milk. That being said, lactaid pills won't take care of the other stuff we react badly to in milk products (ie. casein) so it makes sense that they aren't working. I think milk products are especially bad for bloating, so avoid them all for a while and see what happens.

2) This is such a pain in the ass and it's hurting me and my life. I am 21 and in college, I want to be able to meet up with friends and eat out with them. I have tried this and when I do, I order a sandwich and the stomach is bloated. I can't live like this, I have to be able to eat something at sandwhich restaruants, I can't eat my meals at home, I am an active person. What the heck do I do here? I totally understand where you are coming from. Being young makes it really hard because a lot of people aren't as understanding as we would like them to be. Eating out can be trickier than eating at home, but it is doable as soon as you figure out your trigger foods and don't mind being a picky order-er. It's hard, I won't say it isn't, but it's doable. It takes some time, and some patience, but you'll figure it out!

3) Alcohol. I am in college, and while drinking a lot is not the most healthy thing, I need to be able to drink sometimes. I can't sit there and be the only one not drinking, this is so boring, but I can't tolerate the bloating. Alcohol is one of the worst Irritable Bowel Syndrome triggers for me, but for God sakes, why does the lord have to curse with this bloating? It is unreasonable to ask me to give up alcohol and eating out, I am a college student trying to have a social life, I can't be saying "Sorry, I can't go out to eat because of my stomach", and have to eat by myself.
Alcohol is a tricky one, I understand exactly what you are going through and it is tough but it is one of those things when you have to make individual decisions, "Do I want to drink and get sick, or not drink and not get sick?" Beer is the worst. For me, anyway, and for a lot of other people I know. If your stomach is already unstable, any alcohol can be a trigger. It is a GI trigger, so your poor gut goes nuts when it gets in there. If you are stable, there may be a few things you can handle.
If you must drink... Drink on a full stomach of a safe meal, pace yourself and stop if you start to feel queasy, DON'T DRINK BEER , try drinking something like vodka and cranberry juice (the only juice most of us IBSers can handle) - might not be the manliest drink, but it might not leave you rushing for the loo either so it's a good option that way! Some people do okay with wine, some don't.. it's all up in the air for some... But the best option is, don't drink if you don't want to risk an attack.

4) I'm trying to gain muscle, meaning I'm trying to gain weight, how do I do this and diet for Irritable Bowel Syndrome at the same time?
There are lots of IBS safe foods that are high in calories. Eating a lot of carbs (especially potatoes) can help put on pounds as well. There also lots of proteins like chicken, turkey, fish, shrimp, and tofu (and others too I'm sure) that are safe, but good for adding substance to meals. If I were you, I would concentrate more on building muscle (ie weights) than on cardio to build up more muscle.
5) I live at school and now eat in the cafe, I also have to eat out a couple times a week. What can I eat that won't cause me to get bloated? I have to be able to eat out.
Check out the rest of the boards for lists of foods and snacks that are safe. Always carry safe snacks with you in case you can't find anything safe where you are and you don't have to choose between eating something that will make you bloated, or going hungry. Go for low fat options, avoid all dairy, red meats and anything too spicey. Check the ingredients in foods, avoid the ones with the things you have figured out don't agree with you.

6) So is it true, I can no longer drink, go to bars, eat out, have pizza, enjoy life, I have to stay inside and shelter myself from fun because everywhere I look there is some trigger for this? How the heck can I live a normal life and not be bloated?
You do not have to shelter yourself from fun, don't worry!! There are SO MANY things you can do that will make you start to feel better, and there is so much to figure out that once you do, you should be able to get your life back.. Maybe not exactly same.. Maybe no pizza, no beer, but those don't equal happiness anyway AND you'll be so much happier with a calm belly.

7) Will lactaid pills help at all, so far they have not done a lot.

8) Worth asking again, why is that I a 21 year old male likely have Irritable Bowel Syndrome, I am not a woman, this is awful news.
Maybe think about it like this: IBS is the lesser of several evils. If you can figure out ways to control it, you'll be all set. You just have to commit to learning how to deal with it, and you will get through this. We will be here to support you and answer any questions that you have.
9) Could I get a sample diet to allieve Irritable Bowel Syndrome, what has worked?
Well, obviously most people here swear by Heather's Diet. I won't spell the whole thing out for you here 'cause it's all on here already, so I'll just be repeating what already there! Look on the diet website, an outline of the diet is there. Basically you need to elimiate all trigger foods, these include:
Alcohol
Caffiene
High-Fat Food
Spicy food
Red meat
Dairy Products
Chewing Gum
Pop

10) Does this mean I can't eat meat anymore, I have to stick to rice and chicken as my food?
You can eat meat, you just should stay away from red meat. So no steak, hamburger, pork, etc. That does mean that you can still eat all poultry, fish, tofu... And if you look on the Recipe Exchange on here, there are TONS of recipes that make it feel like you're not even on a strict diet.

11) Hypnosis, the cure, is it?

Hypnosis has helped a lot of people with IBS in dealing with the pain and anxiety that goes along with it, as well as any other symptoms you may have. Hypnosis isn't a quick fix, though. It takes time and patience, and is something that you have to committ to in order to get results from it. I would definitely recommend giving it a try, though. It certainly won't hurt!

Don't worry, we'll help you. Ask away, we'll do whatever we can to help you get stable.
Here are a few more suggestions:
-Anti-spasmodics (prescription meds or peppermint capsules which you can get from a Health Food Store) can really help with pain and D.
-Fennel tea can really help with bloating, peppermint tea with pain and D. I used to make a mix of the two and it really helped bad attacks.
-A heating pad on a sore, bloated stomach can be really soothing.
-Drink plenty of water, warm water is especially good. The rest of the time, drink herbal teas. Do not drink carbonated drinks.
-Make sure you are getting enough soluble fiber in your diet, with each meal.
-Exercise is good for constipation, pain and bloating. Yoga can be beneficial for all IBS symptoms.

Hope this helps. If you need anything else, don't be afraid to ask. And definitely take a look around and see what info you can find.

Cheers,
Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

AerobicsAngel new
      #170299 - 04/16/05 12:56 AM
Stephie

Hi there,
Just wanted to say that it's probably best to leave swear words out of your posts. It can offend some people and we don't want anyone to feel offended here when they come for help.
Thanks for posting.
Cheers,
Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

#170305 - 04/16/05 02:38 AM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

I think you've pretty much had everything answered, Steph did a great job. I'll throw in my story as it might make you feel a little less alone. I am female, but there are plenty of males here, TommyNY who isn't a middle aged woman, Mike C I think it's a C, and Boblish (look in the living room to see his recent posts on pain) and a few others I can't think of at this moment.
I myself am not middle aged. I'm 26 but have had IBS my whole life. I don't suffer much from bloating but I get a lot of pain and a lot of diareah, occasionally constipation.
I also suspect I have lactose intolerance, I'm waiting on some test results to confirm it. However I've avoided dairy in the past and not felt any better.
It IS a pain in the a#se but once you figure out your triggers most of us seem to be able to eat out. I haven't yet reached that stage.
ANY alcohol is a major no no for me. Two sips of something and my belly starts churning and I'm off to the loo. So I just aviod it. Some of the people here have some great mixers that they drink that contain no alcohol but look like they do. If you run a search with no time limits you'll find the thread. Never mind, if you're interested in substitutes you can find a heap of them by clicking here. Good luck. Hot water bottles are a life saver as are antispasmodics like buscopan (just be careful, they tend to constipate some people) and probiotics are also good. Also do a search on bloating if you want to, lot's of people here have talked about it. Good luck and I hope at least some of this has been helpful.

--------------------
Amy

#170309 - 04/16/05 04:31 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I think steph said it all.. but I for one may now be a middle aged woman (scary) but I have had symptoms for years... and I eat out a lot.. Avidan is another male college student with IBS, who also keeps kosher so has some other issues with finding acceptable foods at time....

There are plenty of posts about eating out safely... check the history, our house is for sale so there are often times right now when I can't mess it up by cooking or need to have a showing at meal time and we eat out... it has worked just fine so far. yes I've made a few mistakes, but nothing huge once I figured out my triggers.. I'm not a big drinker for other reasons, but I wasn't in college either.. when my friends drank, I tended the "bar" and fixed their drinks and was designated driver.... and the ones who drank all the time didn't stay my friends because I didn't have the same priorities, and those who drank on weekends or on occasion didn't mind my staying sober.. and we did other fun stuff together that didn't involve drinking.

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#170317 - 04/16/05 06:41 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Stephie did a fabulous job answering your questions, so I'll just add some fairly random thoughts.

You can try drinking non-alcoholic beer. Since one of your symptoms is bloating, you're probably reacting to the carbonation as much as the alcohol, in which case this won't help, but it's worth a try. And make one last.

As someone who is definitely middle-aged, I'd be willing to bet that 95% of the people on this Board are younger than I am. There are even posts from mothers with very little children who have IBS.

As someone who is female, I can tell you that there is research indicating that the presumed gender imbalance in IBS sufferers is not as great as usually thought. I've seen studies that say in India and China more men than women seek help for IBS and even in the US, random surveys (rather than seeking medical help) indicate a no more than 2:1 ratio of women to men suffering IBS.

When it comes to eating out, try turkey breast on a white roll with mustard at your sandwich shop. Try pizza with mushrooms and without cheese - this won't work if it's super greasy, but it's worth a try.

Decide what you're going to tell your friends if they ask why your eating habits have changed. I do think honesty is the best policy, but I know it's a lot easier for a middle-aged woman to admit to IBS than it is for you. You can always fall back on, "My stomach's been killing me and the doctor wants me to try changing how I eat." With any luck your friends will assume you have something fatal and therefore romantic.

I think Heather's diet and lifestyle changes are your best shot at feeling better. You can get all the info you need from this Website, but if you're more linear - like I am - buy or get from the library Heather's book, "The First Year-IBS". It goes step by step, day by day through what you need to know.

Last, but not least, welcome. IBS is a miserable illness, but a lot of people have gotten a lot better with Heather's guidelines. And these Boards are a great place for advice and just to come to vent.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Stephie new
      #170326 - 04/16/05 08:36 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I thought your explanation of why we should watch our language on the Boards was excellent. Thanks for putting it so clearly and calmly.

(Are you sure you're only 22? You seem wise beyond your years.)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#170341 - 04/16/05 11:52 AM
Volatile

ARGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.
I'm so GD pissed off.
Ok so I go to have breakfast, I have two plates of scrambled eggs, 2 grilled chicken breasts, red peppers, and guess what? I feel incredibly bloated.
I spent 15 hours in the gym this week, and you wouldn't know it right now because all I am is bloated.
What the heck is wrong with this meal?
Scrambled eggs does this? You have to joking about this.

#170348 - 04/16/05 12:22 PM
Stephie

Hi again,
Okay, you CAN figure this out but you have to be open to the idea that you will have to make major changes to your diet. I know that it is hard, and that it is overwhelming, and that it sucks... But BELIEVE ME, life gets so much easier. It takes a major change in attitude, and it's hard but it's necessary... I have read some of your other posts and I totally understand how angry and upset you are, but try to remember that we are trying to HELP you.. If you don't like the advice we have to give, I understand that too.. it is hard. But if you want help, that is what we offer.

Scrambled eggs will upset you for two reasons: Egg yolks and milk. We ARE allowed to have egg WHITES, but not the yolks and milk is obviously a very strong trigger being a dairy product.

The grilled chicken should be fine. Because the scrambled eggs might have just done it, I can't be sure about the red peppers but I do know that they are hard to digest for a lot of people.

I will go check your other posts and try to help with your other questions.
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

#170350 - 04/16/05 12:36 PM
Volatile

Thank you stephi. What about egg saled, I notice when I eat that I also feel bloated. The same thing when I eat seafood saled. Does this mean I can't eat egg saled or anything with mayonaise, why, and what can I substitute for mayonaise?
I can't eat just turkey on white bread at restaraunts all the time. I have to get something else, like spicy mustard, to flavor it or another food.

What about Beef and scallop stir fry with snow peans, carrots, and seasome sauce, AI sauce, or stir fry sacue, do those sauces cause outbreaks? Why, and what can I subsitute in.
Terkiyaki sauce? Onions?
I had another meal, Crispex with soy milk, and I still feel bloated. Is Crispex with soy milk an Irritable Bowel Syndrome trigger,and how long does it take for Irritable Bowel Syndrome symptoms to stop once I stop eating foods that do this to me?

Edited by Volatile (04/16/05 12:47 PM)

#170352 - 04/16/05 12:48 PM
Stephie

Mayo is too high in fat - buy Ultra Loe Mayo. When you are out, a lot of places have low fat mayo if you ask for it.

Beef is red meat, too high in fat. Often recipes like that call for a lot of oil, which is also high in fat. Ask at restaurants for your food to be made in as little oil as possible.

Mustard should be fine, salsa is fine, ketchup is fine.. There are a lot of condiments that are fine.
I have to go out to work for a few hours, but will be back later and will check in on your posts.
Good luck hun,
Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

#170355 - 04/16/05 01:02 PM
Volatile

If I go to a restaraunt and order a Turkey sandwich on white bread with lettace, hot peppers, vinegar, low fat mayonaise I should be fine?

#170372 - 04/16/05 02:22 PM
Volatile

Also, is it better with Irritable Bowel Syndrome to have small spread out meals instead of large ones? Would a footlong subway sandwich be too big a meal for a 21 year old?
What about tooth paste when I brush my teeth I feel bloated, has anybody had this happen. I don't know what is in this that could do that.

How about a Taco with chicken or ground Turkey, or burrito, are those fine to make?

Edited by Volatile (04/16/05 02:34 PM)

#170383 - 04/16/05 04:23 PM
Stephie

Yes, usually eating smaller more frequent meals makes them easier to digest. Maybe buy a big sandwich, and only eat one half at a time?

I am not sure about the brushing your teeth thing... Are you swallowing a lot of toothpaste? A lot of air maybe? Hmm, dunno about that one.

I have made ground turkey tacos and they've been really good. You can also get soy cheese and soy sour cream.. some soy cheese are gross, you have to find good ones but the soy sour creams I've tried have all been awesome. Soy mozza is good to make your own pizzas too... Order a pizza with no cheese, put some soy mozza, stick it under a grill or oven or even in the microwave and voila - PIZZA.

Cheers,
Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

Toothpaste, weight training on the diet, and a few other things... new
      #170408 - 04/16/05 07:38 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

On the toothpaste thing, do a search for that (click on "search" in the green bar at the top of this page). I believe it was just discussed not that long ago.

You've had some great responses here (especially from the goddess Steph! wow girl!) so I don't have much to add. It will seriously pay off to take an hour or so and read EVERYTHING in the diet section the site, and really familiarize yourself with the diet. You'll get to know what foods are ok and what are not so you won't have to be wondering about whether certain meals are safe.

It WILL require some major diet changes, so please be open to that. But you WILL start of feel much much better. A pretty fair trade if you ask me.

I just wanted to add a few things about your mention of weight training and trying to gain muscle. That is totally possible to do on this diet, and it also helps that it's low fat. There are lots of safe proteins: fish, chicken breast (skinless), tofu, egg whites, protein powder (NOT WHEY - but soy is great, and what I use), low-fat, dairy free protein bars like Luna (ok these are marketed to women but you can ignore that - their 'male' counterparts, Cliff Bars, are higher in fat) etc. I've found that this diet can work quite well with diets recommended for weight trainers, you just have to make sure you're getting a good SF (soluble fiber) base at each meal - the CORNERSTONE of the IBS diet!

I may not look it from my head and shoulders pic (I'm 20, female, but no not middle aged either!) but I workout quite often with pretty intense weight training and like you am looking to build muscle. (Another poster on here, e_mcmaster, also has similar goals and a similar high protein diet).

I can totally commiserate too with your compalints of working out and then getting bloated and looking like a couch potato. Before dinner I can have great abs and then bam, I look like I'm pregnant! lol But you can minimize your bloating - the diet is the first step, cutting out all the triggers, getting lots of SF etc. Go on an SFS (soluble fiber supplement - see the diet section). Try fennel tea - works wonders for bloating - and heat packs as Steph mentioned.

The alcohol - yeah, that's a tough one. I'm also in college so there are the social pressures there. As Steph outlined, some drinks in moderation can be ok from some IBS people. Not me unfortunately so I've learned to do without. It doesn't mean that I stay at home all the time though, you just learn how to (at the risk of sounding like an after-school special here), have fun without drinking. I hope I won't be offending anyone here if I also mention that there are other party-type substances you can indulge in every now and then that don't need to go through your stomach that can give you similar affects... what I'm saying is that I have, on occasion, used marijuana to actually SOOTHE my IBS. It works pretty well for me. Obviously it's not for everyone though, so I hope I'm not offending anyone here (though it is close to being legalized in Canada! )

OK hope some of that helps. I know it can be frustrating (trust me, I KNOW, we all do), You have to hang in there, and you have to make some necessary lifestyle changs - but things WILL get better. I promise

Re: Toothpaste, weight training on the diet, and a few other things... new
      #170417 - 04/16/05 08:06 PM
Volatile

Thanks, it is so relieving to here somebody with the same symptoms as me. I have been so mad for the last several years because I would go to the gym only to come home and in a few minutes, look like a 60 year old couch potatoe. The Irritable Bowel Syndrome has been making me, who works out the abs, look like somebody who does nothing.

I would like to get a copy of your diet, so I can try and copy it for a couple of days. I know for adding muscle you need to have peanut butter fat, protein shakes, and nutrition bars, but these I can't have with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, what substitues have you found for each of the foods?

Re: Retrograde & Volatile new
      #170421 - 04/16/05 08:11 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

What do your workouts consist of? Is it possible that exercising too much can cause the bloating? I used to run and work out regularly, but after every workout I'd get bloated and in the middle of my run I'd always get a D attack. I've heard of something called "runner's diarrhea," so I was wondering if excercising effects the digestive in some way. Is it the way you breathe that can cause bloating? Drinking water while working out? Is it the stress on the abdominal muscles?

Thanks for you replies!

#170423 - 04/16/05 08:14 PM
retrograde

I can't do peanut butter and I do fine without it. I do have nuts though, chopped really well they're much easier to digest, and it's a good way to get in good fats. But only 4 or 6 nuts at a time.

Like I said I use a soy protein powder (varying brands... whatever I can find cheaply, just make sure it has no egg and no artificial sweeteners) and Luna bars. Again, these are marketed to women but they have 10g protein each and are the only bars low enough in fat for me to take.

Here's what I eat on an average day:

Breakfast:
1 cup oatmeal with applesauce and chopped almonds
4 scrambled egg whites

Post-workout
Protein shake (chocolate protein powder and vanilla soy milk, with just a bit of honey)

Lunch
Homemade soup (beans, veggies, potato and chicken broth), slice bread, banana for dessert

Snack
Luna bar

Dinner
Salmon, other fish or chicken with pasta, sweet potatoes or rice and some safe veggies cooked (i.e. carrots, beets, zucchini - vegetable tolerances vary from person to person, but just make sure they're well cooked), baked pear or apple for dessert

Snack
Usually more oatmeal, or other cereal with soy milk, or sometimes a bagel with a teeny bit of almond butter (when I have it in the cupboards, which is rarely)

You can also check out the fitness boards to see what others eat on a daily basis (as I mentioned, look for posts by e_mcmaster too). Or if you want you can check out my fitday public journal: http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/PublicJournals.html?Owner=retrograde (today wasn't the best of days though, but check out previous days)

Hope that helps

#170426 - 04/16/05 08:19 PM
Volatile

Thanks. I find it funny that you can eat oatmeal but I can't, is this common with Irritable Bowel Syndrome to not be able to eat oatmeal?

Almond butter? Does that have similar amounts of protein and fat as peanut butter?

Looking at your diet, it looks like you're not getting enough protein. I read in order to add muscle you need 1.5 times your bodyweight of protein, which for me would be over 200 grams of protein, how can I do this.

#170428 - 04/16/05 08:19 PM
retrograde

I have to say that I find that exercising is one of the number one things that HELPS my IBS. While I'm exercising I usually feel great, and it helps in the long run too.

I weight train (about 45 mins each workout) 3x per week and do interval cardio training 3x per week - I do short distance sprints, so I'm no long distance runner. I can't say I've ever heard of runner's d but that's not something that happens to me...

One thing I have found though is that 'chugging' water is terrible for bloating, and that's something I have to watch myself with while working out, although I do find that when I'm vigorously exercising it's easier to drink more than if I was just sitting around. I also never drink cold water, only room temperature. Cold water just kills my stomach. You can also take in lots of air while drinking water, which will definitely cause bloating, so watch yourself on that.

Hope that helps.

#170430 - 04/16/05 08:22 PM
Volatile

I don't get that, but what I have found weird is that when I sweat outside of the gym I get bloated. Can Irritable Bowel Syndrome and sweating make you bloated, does it.

#170432 - 04/16/05 08:25 PM
retrograde

Yup, oatmeal is definitely a problem for some folks with IBS, especialy those prone to bloating - there are lots of people here on the forums who can't eat it. But for others, like me, it's ok.

Check out my fitday journal - I get about 25%+ calories from protein a day, which is about 110-130g, 1-1.2x my bodyweight in pounds (keep in mind I'm a lot smaller than you at 125). Trust me, I get enough protein! Generally recommendations are around 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight. Some places list higher than that (like 1.5) but that tends to get into really intense, competition bodybuilding and weightlifting. It's up to you how much you get, but I'd maintain it is very possible and very easy to eat high protein on this diet.

Almond butter is similar to peanut butter with regards to fat and protein, so agian you need to watch it and have only a little bit at a time. It's also less likely to have hydrogenated oils (a health issue not an ibs one, all oils are triggers but hydrogenated ones like trans fats are just nasty for your body). And I also just prefer the taste to peanut butter, personally.

Re: Thanks for your quick reply! It helped a lot!-nt- new
      #170433 - 04/16/05 08:25 PM
lalala

#170434 - 04/16/05 08:27 PM
Volatile

I usually only sip water when working out I don't know if that is what is optimal for it.

#170435 - 04/16/05 08:28 PM
lalala

Do you mean after working out, after leaving the gym? Could it be a change in the temperature? I know that when I get cold I get cramps and start feeling bloated. Maybe that change causes just enough stress to affect your digestive system. Did you know that stress, good and bad, can be a trigger for IBS?

Hmm...

Or maybe after working out you're just breathing extra hard--maybe sucking in air through your mouth?

When you get bloated do you usually get relief after having a bowel movement? How long does the bloat stay?

#170436 - 04/16/05 08:28 PM
retrograde

You mean when you sweat, when you're not exercising? I find that if I'm out and about and I get overheated or flustered that can be a stress and can make my stomach hurt. Also, a lot of people have trouble with humidity in the weather causing attacks, maybe there's a link?

The sweating, overheated thing is just while I'm out and moving though, because I find that saunas and steams can be very relaxing = helpful for my IBS.

Yay! I'm glad it helped! nt new
      #170437 - 04/16/05 08:29 PM
retrograde

#170439 - 04/16/05 08:31 PM
Volatile

Sweating when I'm moving but not working out, say lifting boxes into a truck.

#170464 - 04/16/05 09:06 PM
e_mcmaster

Reged: 01/16/05
Loc: Norman, Oklahoma

Quote:

Looking at your diet, it looks like you're not getting enough protein. I read in order to add muscle you need 1.5 times your bodyweight of protein, which for me would be over 200 grams of protein, how can I do this.

Actually, it's 1.5-2 times your body weight in kilograms. (1 KG=2.20462262lbs) So for me, at 135, I divide 135 by 2.204, then mulitply it by 1.5 or 2 which gives me an ideal range of 91-122g of protein per day. I typically get between 115-130, so I'm on the high end.

I'm with you on the bloating after working out... but it usually goes away within an hour or so, but even if it took longer, I'd still work out because, having recovered from an eating disorder in the past year, I am still struggling with the ability to "allow" myself to eat, and working out helps me feel "justified."

Here's a typical day for me:

Breakfast (if eaten more than 1.5 hrs before working out) - 1/2 cup uncooked Oat Bran made with 1.25cups lite soymilk, 2tsp brown sugar and a generous sprinkle of cinnamon
--- I know you can't eat oatmeal, so oat bran probably wouldn't work for you either, but you might try "Cream of Rice" which is sold in some grocery stores ---
Breakfast (if eaten less than 1.5hrs before working out) - banana, 1/2 cup applesauce or a piece of homemade fat-free bread
Post-workout - 1.5cups lite chocolate soymilk, 1-1.5 scoops Chocolate Soy Protein powder (GNC brand), 1.5tsp unsweetened cocoa powder, 1.5tsp glutamine (to help aid muscle recovery), 1tsp acacia, sprinkle cinnamon
Lunch - [I usually cook big batches of food and freeze some to take out weeks later... that way I always have a bit of a variety] A slice of homemade fat-free bread AND Jambalaya with chicken breast, pasta with chicken and veggies, tofu stirfry with veggies, tuna/salsa mixture on white bread with a slice of soy provolone and veggies, turkey sandwich with veggies or a chicken breast with a sweet potato and veggies. I typically have some canned fruit or (no joke) babyfood fruit for dessert
Lunch Two - another serving of the same
Snack - either more of the same or a luna bar/pretzels if I'm running around
Dinner - My fiance usually cooks us something involving chicken breast and a starch and vegetable, or I eat some leftovers
Snack - Often a smoothie made with lite soymilk, 1 cup frozen unsweetened berries & 1 tsp acacia. I've experimented with adding Spiru-tein unflavored protein powder to these and it's good, but I don't really need any more protein in my diet. Sometimes I have another bowl of Oat Bran or some cereal with soymilk, often just a peeled apple or slice of bread

Total: usually between 1900-2200 cal, less than 30g fat (more like 20), 115-130g protein. My current goal is 16% bodyfat, so I've cut back to 1700-1800 cal but that won't be for much longer.

I know you are concerned about being a college student and living with this problem. Believe me, I was not happy to find out what I had. But I lived with IBS-C for almost an entire year before I found this site and started on the diet. My life is so much better now (about 75%) that I don't have a problem with being "forced" to eat this way. That said, I've had eating issues for practically all my life and have been a health nut for many years, so this really isn't a change... it just means I can't cheat (which is better for my body anyway) - although I did have my first piece of dessert in 5 months on friday night after a bunch of bread and tea... and it just reminded me that it's very rare that something tastes as good as it looks. I didn't have any IBS related problems eating the dessert because I was very careful, but my tummy isn't super-happy today, either. I'm glad I "cheated" but I won't be doing it again anytime soon because it just wasn't worth it (or maybe I'll just order a better dessert!)

As for the alcohol issue, it sucks. But after drinking two bottles of wine a couple weeks ago and being miserable for the next week, I've sworn it off for most occasions all together. There will be times when I indulge, but I'd much rather have a flat belly for the next week than get trashed for one night.

HTH and feel free to ask any questions you need.

--------------------
Elizabeth

all those years it wasn't IBS - it was celiac!
send me an email: liz@dopple.net

#170469 - 04/16/05 09:18 PM
Volatile

Thanks, how can you eat jambolaya, that has to be full of aggrevants for this.

#170475 - 04/16/05 09:25 PM
e_mcmaster

I use Zatarain's brand, which is basically just spices & rice, to which you add already cooked chicken breast. It's quite good, actually, if you like cajun food (well, good for Oklahoma standards )

--------------------
Elizabeth

#170476 - 04/16/05 09:27 PM
Volatile

That doesn't have a lot fat?

I'm a 19 year old male with IBS new
      #170495 - 04/16/05 11:18 PM
Computr821

Reged: 12/02/04
Loc: University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA/ Baltimore, MD

I'm Avidan, whom Amie mentioned a bit back. I'm a freshman in college right now, and I can sympathize with your situation. Believe me, it is plenty possible to be a young male with IBS. If you have any college related qs, I will be happy to help.

As for the questions you have here, I'm in a similar predicament. I keep kosher, and so I eat in the Hillel most of the time. I could make something in my room, but I don't always have the time and I want to eat with my friends. So what I have done is try to eat what I can and then eat some of my own food later. Since it's a good idea to eat smaller amounts frequently anyway, it's probably not a bad idea. Granted, with your fitness reigment and whatnot, it may not work for you.

Alcohol - Not worth it. Really. I wasn't an alcohol drinker before the IBS, so it wasn't such a big deal to give it up (aside for religious stuff). And I don't think that it's a necessity to drink to have fun! Besides, you're in a great position to be a designated driver, and think what that could mean.

I hope that everyone here is helping you and we're all here for you. Please feel free to ask any questions. Also, I would reccomend doing a search for the thread "Hello and a Request to College Kids"

Avidan

--------------------
Why'd you have to go and make me so constipated?
--'Weird' Al Yankovic, "A Complicated Song"

Re: I'm a 19 year old male with IBS new
      #170498 - 04/16/05 11:25 PM
Volatile

Thanks, having another college student with Irritable Bowel Syndrome is going to be a lot. I want to know what you normally eat, and what you do about eating out, how do you balance Irritable Bowel Syndrome prevention and eating out, what foods do you order and what restaraunts and dishes are good for this.
Chinese? Pizza, sandwiches.

#170503 - 04/16/05 11:33 PM
Computr821

OK, I know you're floating around the boards here, but because it's already 2:30 AM here, I'll respond to this in the morning.

Avidan

--------------------

#170505 - 04/16/05 11:35 PM
Volatile

Yeh, it's Saturday night, and because everybody is drinking but me, this is what I have been doing, what point is there watching people get trashed and not being able to partake in it?

#170553 - 04/17/05 07:51 AM
Computr821

OK, now that it's morning and I'm a bit better rested, I can write a proper response...

For specific foods and such, Stephie was right; you should search the site. For restaurants, I'll say again that since I eat kosher, I'm not going to be a great help for you there. Normally when I go out with friends, who are all very aware of my issues, either I don't eat or I only get safe foods, such as bread. Chinese food is harder because of all the MSG.

I usually keep a stock of food in my dorm room to bring with me when I go out or to eat in my room in general like pasta, tortillas, breads, etc. I know that eating out with friends is important, but sometimes you have to sacrifice things for the sake of your health. And honestly, I think that you can have fun without the eating part of it. Sure, it doesn't feel great to be left out of eating, but when you consider the consequences, is it really worth it? And the same thing for alcohol, by the way.

Having a stock of basic food in the dorm is always a great idea. Pasta is one of the safest foods possible and is not too difficult to make in a dorm room. I pretty much live off of it when I can't eat in the dining halls. I also eat a lot of applesauce, which is a decent (but not great) source of SF. I have some other stuff lying around but that's about it.

Any other things I can help with?

Avidan

--------------------

#170565 - 04/17/05 09:11 AM
e_mcmaster

Nope, it's fat-free and the skinless, boneless chicken breasts I buy have only 1g of fat per breast.

--------------------
Elizabeth

I thought I was the only one that bloats from exercise! new
      #170605 - 04/17/05 03:01 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Is it really true? I'm not the only one? I'm sooo thankful for this board!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#170609 - 04/17/05 03:14 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi there!

Pretzels are a great snack. SWo are crackers (make sure no HFCS is added). Rice pasta is good for a change (or if you eat gluten free like I do) and it's loaded with calories..good ones! Rice is a good SF grain. Rice cakes/crackers are good...soy are soy crisps. Now...I'm no male...so I'm not sure how you feel about the foods I mentioned. But if I were still in college this is what I would be eating. (I'm not in college and I eat as much f this stuff as I can find that IBS safe AND gluten free!)

You've been getting terrific responses! Keep at it...you'll get there!

Take care

P.S. I was never a drinker. If I DID drink at a party (I hosted TONS in my studio in colleg ), I never had more than a drink or two. Getting trashed was never of interest to me. I hope you don't feel like you're missing out too much....if you do feel that way...so a search in the living room. I think it's been discussed and you might not feel as left out. If it hasn't been discussed...start the topic yourself. i know you're not alone here......

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#175315 - 04/30/05 12:03 PM
Rinny

Reged: 08/07/04
Loc: San Luis Obispo, California

Hi...I don't post much. I was actually looking to post something that I've found to help me immensely. I wanted to help others out. I see that Retrograde has found it helpful as well -- smoking pot. I think it has such a negative stigma that I'm not sure how this will be taken by everyone. And I hadn't intended on posting this information as a response to someone's letter. But here it goes:

I've NEVER been a pot smoker. Just not my thing. But after reading a journal article through this site that mentioned a possible beneficial connection between marijuana and IBS, and being as desperate as most people here -- I thought 'what the heck...'

It's been an absolute godsend. In fact, I'm in the process of trying to get a prescription for it (I live in California...). I'll try to dispel what I believe to be the negative myths, and I hope that people that are looking for some help but think marijuana is a "bad" thing will at least consider it, and ask me more questions.

Myth #1: It makes you lazy. I smoke the tiniest amount. I have to work and live my life so if it made me lazy or stupid -- it wouldn't be a viable solution. I don't smoke to get stoned. And it doesn't take much to get relief. And I've found I get almost instant relief. Additionally, it seems as if I get a long lasting effect. I've been smoking every other day or so and found I can eat a larger variety of food than ever before. Plus, I was sick recently so I didn't smoke for 2 weeks and STILL felt that I could eat more foods without being punished.
2. The smoke is bad for your body. I inhale for 10-20 seconds per day at most. If you purchase a vaporizor you can smoke virtually smokeless and heatless.
3. The munchies: For some of you/us, this is a good thing. I've found that smoking such a small quantity just doesn't cause the munchies. For me, eating more than a large fist-size full of food in one sitting is my worst trigger, and the pot doesn't help that at all. So, I have a huge incentive not to succumb to the "munchies".
4. It's illegal. Tough if you're not in some place like California or Oregon and can't get a legal prescription. So, I can't really advise you on that one except to say that many many respectable people in respectable jobs purchase and smoke pot illegally without a problem. For me...the relief it gave me, the freedom it gave me to eat and live my life...well, if I can't get it legally --I'll still continue to obtain it.

Ok-- that's it for me. It's worth trying I think. Can't hurt. If it's your first time...you have to smoke with someone who is kind of an "expert" so they can walk you through it. I needed that. And if you know someone with a vaporizor...that's really the way to go.

Good luck. Sorry this is so long.

Rinny

PS: Oh, regarding all the other stuff. Soy products "meat" is a good way to go...they're packed with protein, low in fat, just really good for you and some taste really good (makes me wish I'd been eating soy meat products long before my IBS); definitely go with the suggestion of eating small small frequent meals (it's tough to remember to do this...esp. at restaurants...but it might be critical for you); and you know what? Just tell your close friends that you have IBS. I told my group of friends...and at first it was STILL awful (telling them didn't help at all!)...but now it's just "me" and no one thinks twice about me not drinking (or sometimes drinking), not eating, bringing my own food, eating soy ice cream, telling them to not put cheese on my part of the pizza, etc. And I bet you'll find out that one or two of your friends have some version of it themselves. I told a new boyfriend about it...turned out he had it. It didn't work out for us...but he got one of Heather's books out of the deal!

Great post Rinny, it's not for everyone but lots of good info here... new
      #175384 - 04/30/05 06:26 PM
retrograde

Also,

Quote:

I told a new boyfriend about it...turned out he had it. It didn't work out for us...but he got one of Heather's books out of the deal!

haha that's hilarious...! Same thing happened to me - not with a boyfriend but with of my friends who I told - one has a very mild version of it and the other more serious. So we chat about food and recipes and BMs ( lol) all the time and I introduced him to this website too.

Thanks again for your post re: marijuana!

Hmm... new
      #175414 - 05/01/05 12:41 AM
Stephie

I have tried smoking pot to help my IBS and am not sure that it helped. Once, I thought it totally had and was really excited.
When I went to do it again, I got such a bad stomach ache that I just had to go directly to bed. I tried it twice after that and didn't notice any positive effects so I stopped because of it being illegal and all that.

I say if it works, go for it! Just wanted to add in my experience.
I wish it had worked, but then my boyfriend is becoming a cop so maybe it just was fate that it didn't work for me 'cause that coulda just added an awkward angle to our relationship!
--Steph

--------------------
IBS-D,pain.

#175999 - 05/02/05 08:23 PM
bellshel32

Reged: 10/28/04
Loc: Kansas, USA

Just to let you know, I'm a woman but have had IBS-C since I was a little kid.

Sorry you're having such a hard time....

It's not that bad to have IBS, especially if you can find a diet combo &/or medication to help you manage the symptoms. It's just that your intestines don't work right. You just have to be careful & know that sometimes you're gonna feel pain or whatever.

I used to eat milk products ALL the time. My gastro doc didn't tell me to stay away from them. Now that I've stayed away from them for the most part, I sometimes get cramps when I eat cheese (like on a pizza, etc). But I don't think of it as "lactose intolerant."

About alcohol-- I can generally drink a couple drinks without having problems. Maybe you could just "sip" on a drink instead of drinking a lot at one time.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1538 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 31107

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review