All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Question about attacks?!
      #170241 - 04/15/05 02:24 PM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

I am IBS-A also accompanied by a lot of gas and occasional abdomial pain, usually during what I would call an "attack" or during a bad day. By scouring these boards I have found that there is no cure all for the gas but I am wondering if there is anything I can do during an attack of D to either stop it or slow it down. Before knowing that I had IBS I would take Pepto which helped, but then it would cause worse C which is already an issue. Does the fennel tea that I have heard some of you talk about help? I have tried taking the peppermint capsules but they give me acid reflux. I have been at work all day today and have had D at least 4 times which makes for really uncomfortable times. So many of you seem to have a wealth of information and I would love to hear your recommendations.

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about attacks?! new
      #170245 - 04/15/05 02:35 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

First of all, follow the IBS guidelines on this website. It will help your D tons. Second, it's unfortunate that you find peppermint tea give you problems with reflux. I'd have to say it's the one thing that will stop me in the middle of an attack is peppermint tea. You can try fennel - it's excellent for gas and bloating. Crush up a teaspoon of fennel and steep in a mug of boiling water. Or else try some ginger or fennel tea. Seriously, give this diet a try. It should help your d 100%.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#170273 - 04/15/05 05:55 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I use Immodium, but I'm strictly D. From what I've seen posted by As, some can use Immodium during an attack, but some find it just constipates them too much. You can do a Search on "Immodium" and you'll find a ton of posts. If you get too many, try Searching on "Immodium constipation". I think that will get you more focused info.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#170320 - 04/16/05 07:34 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I get bad, bad gas pains during attacks so i take simethicone (no name gas-x) pills to help break it up and relieve the pressure.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#170376 - 04/16/05 03:21 PM
HeidnOut

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: CA, USA

Don't forget to take a fiber supplement. It helps regulate both constipation and diarrhea. Lots of water. If you drink herbal teas, it counts as water too and adds a bit of flavor and comfort for certain symptoms.

#170377 - 04/16/05 04:11 PM
lynn2005

Reged: 04/16/05

When you get the gas pains does your stomach swell up really bad? If so, does the gas-x help it?

Thanks for reply.

#170568 - 04/17/05 10:28 AM
Snowy

Reged: 03/23/05

I do get some swelling and bloating but not a lot. I don't think the Gas-X pills that I am taking help. Maybe I'm not taking a large enough dose. I kind of feel like I am constantly popping some kind of pill!

--------------------
IBS-A, with bloating and gas as my predominant symptoms

#170601 - 04/17/05 02:47 PM
jasperlovel

Reged: 05/21/03

snowy and everyone try takeing preleif pills with your problem foods. it helps me alot it seems like. jasper

--------------------
ive had ibs for 8 years now. im learning alot on this web board. thanks again everyone

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 853 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1291

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review