All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Colonoscopy
      #170158 - 04/15/05 10:57 AM
dozyveeny

Reged: 09/26/04
Loc: UK

Sorry I haven't been on the boards for a long time - combination of computer problems and trying to get my new flat ready to move into (still not there yet, but getting nearer all the time.)

Anyway, finally had my colonoscopy last Friday. Like everyone says, the procedure wasn't a problem, just the prep the day before. I read Jill's post on the Colitis Board - it is invaluable - I can't recommend it highly enough to anyone who has a colonoscopy coming up. I took a laxative the night before the prep to help get things started and kept some isotonic drinks on hand. A friend of mine had a sigmoidoscopy last year and wasn't given any advice about avoiding dehydration and ended up with 'the worst hangover ever' so I was really glad I had read Jill's guidelines first.

The result of it all was that there are no signs of disease in the large intestine, so my diagnosis of IBS is now official.

Question to all GF people: the doctor said that the scope went just into the small intestine too and my villi looked normal. Does this mean I needn't worry about gluten sensitivity or is that still something I should get ruled out?

BTW I was quite surprised that I was conscious throughout the procedure - they put the screen where I could watch too. Is that normal? I expected to be unconscious like for an operation!

It's nice to be back - I really miss these boards when I can't get to a (working) computer. As usual, I don't suppose I will catch up with everything I've missed, but I'll certainly try!

Best wishes to everyone,

Josephine

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Colonoscopy new
      #170159 - 04/15/05 11:03 AM
melissam

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: Scranton Pennsylvania

Hi welcome back- I am somewhat new (but not really) since you have been gone.
Glad your colonoscopy went well and nothing else was found.
Not that IBS is the greatest thing in the world either by any means.
The prep absolutely is the worst part.
I was in and out of it during mine- I remember opening my eyes at one point and seeing the "tunnel" on the screen. But then I went out again.
Take care!
Melissa

--------------------
Melissa
Pain predominant w/occasional C.

#170200 - 04/15/05 12:33 PM
MikeE

Reged: 03/31/05
Loc: Seattle, WA

Ask your Dr if they took a biopsy and checked for Microscopic Colitis. It will take a little while for the lab to analyze the sample.

I remember seeing the very beginning part and him talking and then I was out of it. LOL I was supposedly a little nutty when I woke up too.

You may still have a gluten sensitivity. Have you tried to remove it from your diet for a while and then reintroduce it to see?

Mike

#170319 - 04/16/05 07:25 AM
dozyveeny

Thanks, Melissa, I think we have overlapped quite a bit, but I don't have access to a computer all the time, so tend to come and go ...

I feel pretty relieved to have got the colonoscopy over - I postponed it from January because I couldn't face it then - but now I realise it was no big deal at all.

I probably went in and out too - I thought I was awake all through, but it was like thinking you've got up in the morning when really you are still asleep and just dreaming you've got up!

Josephine

#170321 - 04/16/05 07:39 AM
dozyveeny

Thanks for the suggestions, Mike. I'm pretty sure they won't have taken a biopsy, but I have a clinic appointment in June so I'll find out then. I don't think they would have told me about the villi if I hadn't asked beforehand - the doctor was surprised I wanted to know and the nurse asked if I had been reading things on the internet!

So you were a little nutty afterwards ... hmm, no-one said that about me, but, then again, how would they tell?!!!

I am eating GF at the moment - started straight after the colonoscopy - seemed like a good opportunity - so that is exactly one week now. How long do you think I should wait before reintroducing? I should say that I am doing it just to rule it out really - my symptoms are all within normal IBS range, nothing that points more to GS, but I felt it was the one thing I had never tried and it would be simple enough to check it out. I never thought I had a problem with the amount of fat I ate till I started Heather's diet and noticed the difference, so now I think it's better not to take anything for granted!

Josephine

Edited by dozyveeny (04/16/05 07:40 AM)

#170530 - 04/17/05 04:46 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

You need to go GF for between 4 weeks to 3 months! And then reintroduce. I did a month.

There are some pretty good blood tests for Celiac, btw.

I was knocked out for the start of mine as I had a gastroscopy first, but then I half woke up for most of the colonoscopy...and got to watch the tv too!

I wasn't nutty afterwards (corroborating evidence! ) but was talking to people and afterwards couldn't remember a darn thing.

#170543 - 04/17/05 05:51 AM
dozyveeny

Ooh, that's longer than I expected! The books I've checked said two weeks before reintroduction, but I'm not sure how reliable they are. I don't want to do this and still not be sure.

I was planning to wait and see if it made any difference before getting tested - my feeling is that gluten is probably not an issue for me and I only want to do things that actually improve my symptoms, so I'll see if it does and then find out about tests. Hmm, does that make sense to you or am I doing it back to front?

Josephine

#170547 - 04/17/05 06:43 AM
Linz

That sounds fine! I never had the antibody tests myself...colonoscopy and exclusion diet convinced me that I am NOT gs.

#170859 - 04/18/05 10:29 AM
MikeE

For me I noticed that going GF made me feel a lot better pretty soon after starting say a week or so. So if you feel better that is a pretty good indication that this might be the cause so long as other things in your diet are pretty constant.

I've never had problems with high fat, in fact I usually do pretty good with high fat and low carbs. But it's not something I want to do for a long time because I miss my carbs and I need it to gain muscle.

Should I be concerned that I haven't had a colonoscopy yet new
      #170868 - 04/18/05 10:55 AM
Sailing Away

It has been three weeks since the doctor ruled everything out with blood, stool, urine tests and an ultrasound to come up with the IBS-A diagnosis. I had to keep a food/symptom diary for two months. She hasn't ordered a colonoscopy yet since she recommended modifying my diet and adopting Heather's diet. Since I switched over the diet things have greatly improved but in reading others postings I am wondering if I should push for the doctor to order colonoscopy. I guess I didn't worry too much at first since my doctor has IBS also and definitely has given me great advice, but now I am starting to wonder.

Thanks in advance,

Michelle

Re: Should I be concerned that I haven't had a colonoscopy yet new
      #170878 - 04/18/05 11:21 AM
Linz

They are not essential, especially if you have had relatively unchanging symptoms for a long time. How long have you been suffering?

However, it is a great way to rule some stuff out and just generally check up on what's going on in there. If you're at all concerned, then ask to be referred for one...or just mention it when you go back after the two months.

Re: Should I be concerned that I haven't had a colonoscopy yet new
      #170885 - 04/18/05 11:38 AM
MikeE

I thought that in order to get an "official" diagnosis of IBS you had to have gotten a colonoscopy and had other things ruled out.

I can't remember the name, but it was something like "Rome" something er something. Oh, I think it was Criteria. ???

Anyone know for sure?

Mike

PS. If I relied on everything but a colonoscopy AND a biopsy I wouldn't have found out I have Lymphocytic Colitis.

Thanks Mike new
      #171005 - 04/18/05 05:23 PM
Sailing Away

I am going to follow up with my doctor and find out if that is true. I am guessing since we did an ultrasound a few months ago to rule out cysts and other gyn problems, that might be why she ordered all the tests and skipped the colonoscopy. I have been having problems over the past year but the last few months have been the worst since I took on more responsibility at work (more stress, but better pay) and then wound up with stomach flu which made the IBS symptoms more and more bothersome. At least I feel better informed now when I call her. Thanks again for the advice.

Michelle

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1087 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2337

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review