All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: Thanks for the probiotics info. (More) new
      #170642 - 04/17/05 05:20 PM
Saje

Reged: 12/08/04
Loc: Canada

I saw this thread (I'm constantly floating around these boards without posting) and it really annoyed me.

You poor girl! What a horrible doctor.

Anyway, I asked my friend who is a paralegal among other things, if there was anything you could do about this and her response was:

Quote:

She has every right to complain and she should! I hate MDs. I've only run across a handful that were worth their weight in swamp mud.

If she's in the States, there is a professional licensing board in each state that has protocols for complaints. There are also, I believe, specialty boards that police their members.

If she got a referral to this quack from another doc, she needs to go back to the referring physician and let him/her know how this one treats patients being referred to him.

And I think that's just what you should do. Also, it sounds like you are getting depressed (with reason!) so you might want to take some B Vitamins or a stress B forumla (it has vitamin C) that is timed-released. I've had a lot of luck with those. B Vitamins help give you energy and fight stress and depression and the C helps keep you from getting sick. They should be timed released as they are all water soluable. Just an idea. http://cms.psychologytoday.com/articles/pto-20040204-000002.html

I really hope things change for you.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Thanks for the probiotics info. Saje new
      #170817 - 04/18/05 08:47 AM
HeidnOut

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: CA, USA

Thank you for your reply. I think your friend might be referring to the AMA (American Medical Association). That's one call I'm planning on making today. I know this first GI who stated that I smoke and drink is a member of the Better Business Bureu but I don't want to go through them because I know of several people who have gone that route with unhappy results.

About feeling depressed, I've been there before too but that's not the case now. I had a bad couple of days with this last experience. My hopes were set too high and it was a big let down. I'll be fine. I know there are other docs out there who are good. I just have to find one who will listen and take me seriously. Thank you for caring though and taking the time to reply. Any reply is always appreciated. Heidi

Re: Don't get your hopes TOO high with a female Dr.... new
      #170959 - 04/18/05 03:00 PM
MissyB

Reged: 07/22/04

I don't mean to sound negative, and I hope she turns out to be kind and compassionate as you hope for. But my experience with a female was 10x's worse that with a male..I had been dismissed by the first GI, a guy, and thought "well, maybe if I see a woman, she will be more undestanding".. WRONG!
She was harsh and abrasive, and told me to go to "a place called Walgreens and buy something called Ex-lax" when I told her I was constipated for 12 -14 days at a time, she told me that was impossible, I'd be dead.. I'm not saying this wll be your experience, but I guess I'm just saying gender doesn't guarantee a nice personality or competence!

Re: Don't get your hopes TOO high with a female Dr....MissyB new
      #171372 - 04/19/05 08:40 AM
HeidnOut

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: CA, USA

Thank you for your warning. I didn't specify a female, the staff stated they wanted me to see one of their more patient Dr.'s. My neighbor who is a female nurse also see's her and says she is very patient and nice. I hope I have the same experience. She might be more understanding knowing that it's hits during that time of the month and be able to offer "some" kind of advice other than to take Motrin or Advil. I've never heard of such a thing for IBS. I'm a little worried that I might not get a good Dr. but I have to try something. Heidi

#171382 - 04/19/05 08:59 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Well, MissyB thinks you might do worse with a female doctor and I think you might do better, so I suppose we cancel each other out.

Male or female, I do think it's a really good sign the office staff actually listened to what you were saying and went out of their way to try to match you up with a doctor who they thought would fit what you needed.

Good luck. Let us know it goes. And I was glad to see from one of your earlier posts that you're feeling a little better.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#171569 - 04/19/05 04:16 PM
MissyB

Reged: 07/22/04

Weird, where did my post go? lol?..Well, sorry if this is a double..
Sand, I didn't say she would do "better or worse" I was just pointing out that just because a Dr is female and has a menstrual cycle isn't going to automatically make her more kind or compassionate or better than a guy. I saw 4.. GI Drs , 2 females and 2 males, then #5 is the one I've stuck with since he is a caring person and a great Dr. I hope this is the right Dr for her, and it sounds like since her friend goes to her, she has a good start..

MissyB - Agreed. Competence and compassion are gender neutral. -nt- new
      #171725 - 04/20/05 08:02 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1948 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5476

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review