All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
For those who had Eating Disorders
      #169615 - 04/13/05 01:27 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Have your doctors given you any idea on if Eating Disorders cause permanent damage to our GI systems that perhaps will not be alleviated by any diet or drug?

I'm just afraid that my long battle with my Eating Disorder (went down to 69 pounds and stayed around 80 (I'm 5'5 1/2" tall) for most of my adult life because of anorexia) has brought me to a place where I will never experience any resemblance of normalcy.

My doctor told me that it's usually only the Eating Disordered people who have abused laxatives who experience permanent problems, and he assured me that once my body got used to eating normally, the pain and symptoms would go away. Well, that was 2 years ago!

What have your doctors told you? I believe the ED caused the IBS, but I'm afraid that since I developed my problems from this eating disorder, that maybe that is why I am not responding as well as others on the board who have not had this trauma to there insides.

I had a colonoscopy done about 3 years ago and that didn't show any damage, but I had some awful bulimic episodes after that, so don't know if there was damage after that. I also had an endoscopy done about 2 years ago and that didn't show damage either.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For those who had Eating Disorders new
      #169639 - 04/13/05 02:22 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Hi Augie! I haven't been on much lately...how are you? Silly question I guess. I'm not doing so well either. I think my ED has caused alot of this as well. Now that I have insurance I'm making an appt. with a GI to get checked out. I just hope he doesn't say "eat more fiber" like every other doctor. I'll keep you posted.....

BETH!!! new
      #169743 - 04/13/05 09:47 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

HUGS, HUGS, HUGS sweetie! You sound so down, I wish I could say something that would help. I believe that eating disorders can maybe have something to do with IBS but I didn't have one (well, I sort of have a problem lately) and I can't find relief either! You're not alone in your pain, I understand and empathise with you every day! I'm sure that one day we will find what's right for your body (and mine). Hang in there and if you need to cry or complain please email me!

--------------------
Amy

Re: BETH!!! new
      #169902 - 04/14/05 11:45 AM
trapley

Reged: 03/16/05
Loc: Miami, FLorida

I haven't ever had an eating disorder in the past, but I really dont think IBS comes on its own. I think that it can be prompted by emotional or pyhsical activities.

I know that in the beggining my IBS almost caused me to have an eating disorder because I was so afraid of food. Thankfully I have conquered that.

Its weird becasue now I am very small (I'm lucky if I"m 110 soaking wet!) and people assume that I am weight obsessed or have an eating disorder, but it really doesn't help when I am sitting there reading the lables in the store before I put something in my buggy, I am not reading it for fat content, just trying to see if it contains harmful indgredients LOL

--------------------
Keep Smiling

#169906 - 04/14/05 11:58 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I used to think that as well. How long ago since your disorder was corrected? It CAN take years.

Last time I starved myself was, probably six years ago. And I'm just now feeling better--but I have a hunch going GF is what is making me feel so much better.

I would talk to a nutritionist about this and see what they think...

ED def. have a long term impact on our bods. BUT I think it can be healed over time (like anything else). Be patient with your bod...and kind too. Just like you are for everyone else in the world *hugs*

We love ya Beth!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#169960 - 04/14/05 04:38 PM
beacon1961

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Marlton, NJ

Hi Beth,

I had a relapse of my eating disorder and it has taken yrs to recover. I starved myself and was very thin up to about 2 yrs ago. I have suspected the same-that I have screwed up my body with the starving-although this time as an adult I was not bulemic and did not abuse laxitives-I just didn't eat.

I was diagnosed with celiac four years ago and have had really bad IBS for about the last 2 yrs since I started eating normal again. To make it worse I mentally am not dealing with the weight gain well and I am depressed alot. I feel fat and bloated almost 24/7 and I find it very difficult to even lose an ounce.

I am a deeply spiritual person and I believe that is really the only thing that pulls me through on my really bad days. We will find answers and are fortunate to have all of us to support each other through this-since it is so hard to relate to if you don't experience any of our symptoms.

Mary

--------------------
It only takes a few committed people to change the world!

#170001 - 04/14/05 09:15 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I never told my GI doctor about my history with an ED, I really didn't want the lecture and stupid comments I knew I would get (bad experiences from more then one doctor!). He seemed pretty clueless too, like gee I'm young yet suddenly I have 4 digestive disorders for no reason...you'd think he'd ask what the hell I was doing lol. But yeah, back a few years ago I too was told from other ED'd people that it would take awhile for my digestion to normalize...yet a year later and no change, I was like ok something's wrong! Unfortunatly I'm STILL ED'd, I keep going back and forth Obviously this is not good for my IBS, but whatever.

Anyway, I never abused laxatives yet I have IBS, so I don't know how much a factor laxatives usually is in situations like this. One thing I just wondered though, do ED'd people tend to get IBS-C more then the other types? I know you and I are IBS-C, what about others here? I really think you should have another endoscopy and colonoscopy done, since you've been having so much trouble.

--------------------
IBS-C

Fishnets, what are your 4 digestive disorders? new
      #170107 - 04/15/05 08:44 AM
Augie

What do you have besides IBS?

And I truly hope you are getting help for your bulimia. Your IBS will never get better until you are over that! It will only get worse as the years go on.

--------------------
~ Beth

Hi Mary new
      #170110 - 04/15/05 08:51 AM
Augie

Did your doc tell you if the pain will ever get better now that your ED is no longer active for 2 years? That seems long enough to find some relief. Don't you think.

Interesting that we are both IBS-C, had eating disorders, IBS, gluten intolerance. Do you think there is a connection?

Do you think the ED did permanent damage and that no diet or fiber supplement will be able to help because there is permanent damage or effects from our ED's? That's a scary thought, isn't it?

I totally relate to the feeling fat 24/7. When I was anorexic I had a concave tummy, and now I just feel this fatness and bloat all the time. Cruel turn of events. I am gaining like crazy despite not increasing calories at all, which I fear will not stop.

PS. Do you now take a SFS?

Please email me at deerbeth@yahoo.com if you would like. Your email address is not on your profile or I would contact you myself!

--------------------
~ Beth

Ruchie, it's been... new
      #170111 - 04/15/05 08:55 AM
Augie

1 1/2 years that I have not starved myself or thrown up. I thought I would feel some relief by now. And as you know, GF doesn't have the same relief for me as it does for you.

I hope you are right that it can be healed over time. But there is always the possibility that permanent damage took place, as I was ED for close to 20 years! Over 1/2 my life!

--------------------
~ Beth

Augie new
      #170112 - 04/15/05 09:02 AM
puffybelly

Reged: 02/04/05

I battled anorexia off on on for over 20 years. My last bout with it was in 1999. Looking back...stress and anorexia seemed to go hand and hand for me. No eating would somehow make me feel like I was controlling my stress...makes no sense huh?

I am fine now and have no worries about being anorexic again but unexpected stress will throw my intestines into a "knot". Reducing refined sugar and yeast has helped me but I know my 100% cure will be total peace in my life. Is total peace something that I expect 100%? No...but with the grace of God I will lead the most peaceful life that I can.

My heart goes out to you...I know that you are struggling. Take ownership and press on to the cure...you can do it!

--------------------
"puffy"

Happy new
      #170139 - 04/15/05 10:04 AM
Augie

How long did it take you to not feel the hurt after eating after you stopped restricting?

And yes, it made perfect sense that not eating would help control stress. That's what my anorexia was all about. Not to look skinny, but to feel in control.

How much yeast/and or sugar do you allow yourself, btw? Is this a connection you found by trial and error? Do you limit fruits which contain sugar?

How did you find your cure? Doctors? And how long did it take?

Thanks for sharing your story. Not being alone is the best feeling and keeps me going...

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Ruchie, it's been... new
      #170163 - 04/15/05 11:08 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

If there is permanent damage there is nothing you can do about it now.

I know I have permanent daage on a small scale from what I did to my bod. BUT I do not think of it. It doesn't help me to dweel on it.

I focus on learning ways to relax. On diet. On doing what I CAN do to get better instead of dwelling on what has been done.

NOT easy to do...but I know you can...and we're here to help! *hugs*

Sending you lots of love, peace of mind, and encouragement

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Happy new
      #170169 - 04/15/05 11:19 AM
puffybelly

The restricting was trial and error and then the occasional ignorance of cheating so I won't even hazard a guess.

I will tell you that within a week or two of limiting refined sugar to an occasional peppermint and diluted juice and yeast as much as possible, I felt much much better. I started baking spelt bread which I love...it has no yeast in it. I will have a grilled chicken sandwich every now and again when I am running around bun and all and suffer little.

It is all trial and error Augie...what works for one may or may not work for each other. I don't post an awful lot but I do read your posts and sometimes I worry that you are making yourself crazy trying everything. This is a frustrating malady to say the least.

Prayer is good too...I ask God daily to release my stress and to bringme peace. So far so good!

--------------------
"puffy"

as to "the cure" new
      #170173 - 04/15/05 11:24 AM
puffybelly

My doctor though well meaning put me on depakote as the side effects of depakote supposedly helps the IBS symptom. It was masking the effects of the IBS but no cure...then I learned that depakote was for skizophrenia. I am many things but I am not a schizophrenic!

I just chose to do the trial and error thing and work to identify my triggers. I am pretty disciplined and I do believe that is what it takes.

I am able to go to people's hosues and eat and I eat at restaurants. I just choose wisely and occasionally to combinations are a little strange but I don't care as long as I don't relapse.

I am suffering a bit right now as I had some "unexpected stress" last weekend that upset me greatly and I suspect the glucosamine/MSM/chondroitin I take for my knee's is causing me to cramp a bit. I am patiently waiting for this episode to pass and look forward to being back to normal soon!

--------------------
"puffy"

Re: Ruchie, it's been... new
      #170188 - 04/15/05 12:13 PM
Augie

I know I can't do anything about any permanent damage now. But I am still curious to know if and how much of this is all a result from the ED so that I know that this is something that is not "fixable" and I can stop searching for relief or other possible causes. And learning to try and live with the pain and symptoms.

Thanks for your hugs, love, and encouragement. I'm so glad you're back.

--------------------
~ Beth

Yes! new
      #170189 - 04/15/05 12:18 PM
Augie

I am trying to do everyone elses diet which, of course, is impossible. I'm trying to "copy" everything from everyone who has found relief. And driving myself bonkers because everyone is so different, even though we all have the same diagnosis.

It boggles my mind how some can eat yeast, fruits with peels, brown rice, yet others cannot do these at all. It would sure make this a whole lot easier if we could all have the same diet triggers.

--------------------
~ Beth

Augie, me too... new
      #170263 - 04/15/05 05:04 PM
Suze

Reged: 02/24/05
Loc: Virginia

and I think there's a lot of hope for us ED'ers. I was intermittently bulimic (throwing up, not laxatives) for over 20 years...but have had no episodes for the last 15. Yes, I have IBS, although I didn't realize it until recently. But I think the key to healing is staying on the diet, avoiding ED episodes (easier said than done, I know!) and giving our insides - and our psyches! - time to heal. I believe that the same reactions to life situations that caused us to have eating disorders (perfectionist, striving, etc) promote IBS...maybe as much or more than any trauma to the gut! I think my IBS is milder than some because it's been so long since I've been bulimic, and I've developed a good attitude about myself and my life. My IBS flaired up in the last year because I was in a stressful situation that caused me to doubt myself again. Now, it's getting under control.

So, take care of yourself, be kind to yourself, and hang in there! It sounds like things are tough now, but they'll get better.

-Sue

Re: Hi Mary new
      #170291 - 04/15/05 09:05 PM
beacon1961

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Marlton, NJ

Hi Beth,

Since my IBS seems to get worse over time, I think I probably did some damage. The docs never have answers when it comes to will it get better or go away? they can't see damage-but look at me-IBS is functional-so it doesn't show up on tests. It is the only conclusion I can come to.

Now the connectin-I don't know which came first the ED or the IBS. I know I could never stand anything tight around my ab area and would feel fat. Could that have been the IBS/Celiac which pushed me over the edge into ED? I sometimes wonder. Or did my neuroticness push me into the ED that caused the IBS?

I have been miserable one way or the other since I can remember. I guess you hit the nail on the head-when I was so thin my tummy was concave and my bones showed. Now I feel puffy. Again the IBS bloating and fullness aggrivates the ED personality about fatness-I dn't think I will ever recover from that. I eat right and don't starve myself anymore, but the emotional stress surrounding my body never seems to go away. And I gain no matter what too-I can't figure that out and it is really frustrsting me. Do you think it is age? I didn't think it made that much of a difference this fast.

My email merinnj@aol.com.

Thanks for the note and I will contact you. Seems like we are walking similar paths. As far as SFS-I do benefiber when I can handle it. Right now my work travel schedule messed me up big time and I am paying for indulging. I think I just wanted to just have fun for a change and be like everyone else.

Mary

--------------------
It only takes a few committed people to change the world!

#170379 - 04/16/05 04:17 PM
satree

Reged: 02/20/05

Ihave Ibs-c, I think a huge part of mine was laxi abuse... not to mention the long fasts I would go on.... I am also allergic to dairy, and peanuts... deprivation causes intolerance... I'm 21 and I have to take alot of meds, I keep almost relapsing back into ed but for now I am ok... but that's just life... cya

Re: Fishnets, what are your 4 digestive disorders? new
      #170755 - 04/18/05 05:50 AM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

Quote:

What do you have besides IBS?

And I truly hope you are getting help for your bulimia. Your IBS will never get better until you are over that! It will only get worse as the years go on.

I also have GERD(acid reflux disease), Gastritis(chronic stomach inflammation), and a Hiatal Hernia(I purged my stomach into the wrong position ). All caused by my starving and purging. Yeah, having ED'd behaviors can make my IBS even worse which sucks. I'm trying though!

--------------------
IBS-C

Yes, I was asking you! new
      #170772 - 04/18/05 06:30 AM
Augie

How were these other problems detected? What tests, etc.

And it is so worth it to not have to be a worried about starving and throwing up again. I had this for about 18 years. So, YOU CAN BEAT THIS!!! It is a demon of a problem, but the sooner you stop, the less damage that will have been done.

--------------------
~ Beth

#170783 - 04/18/05 07:25 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I recovered from my ED 15 years ago and I never want to be anorexic again.

I don't agree with your doctor about not having permanent problems from years of being anorexic. I work at a hosptial and a few months ago we had a 32 year old woman on my floor who weighed 63 lbs. She has multiply health issues from purging and not eating. The social worker on my floor found a facility that would accept her and we were encouraged to tell her she has one more chance to get better or she will die. I realize that sounds harsh, but sometimes that is what ED people need to hear.

When you abuse your body for years you mess with your metabolism, become defecient in minerals and vitaments that are essential for your body to function and your body draws energy from carbohydrates (fats), but when there is no fat your body takes it from your bones.

My suggestion is get another endoscopy to make sure there is no damge in your esophagus, because untreated erosion can lead to Barrett's Esophagus, which is precancer. If you haven't already your doctor should check to see if there has been any bone loss.

Remeber too you don't have to show any damage in your colon to be dx with IBS. You abused your body for years and it may take longer than the rest of us to have normalcy. Stick with Heather's diet and don't deny yourself food when your stomach hurts. I feel worse when I don't eat and sourdough bread is awesome on my bad stomach days.

Hang in there Beth!!!

Thanks Barbara new
      #170849 - 04/18/05 09:52 AM
Augie

I did have my dexa scan and it showed severe osteoporosis. I had my endoscopy done about 2 years ago, so you still think I should ask about another one? Everything looked okay, he said, and the Eating disorder was inactive about 6 months after that, I would say. Do you think some damage could have taken place in that time?

Also, do you think there will be healing and relief from the pain, constipation, and symptoms over time, and that I may just have to wait longer than others? Or do you think that this is just something I will need to accept as permanent pain and other yuckiness in my life?

I can't do sourdough bread because I eat GF, BTW. Do you still eat even when you are Constipated or in pain?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Thanks Barbara new
      #170877 - 04/18/05 11:16 AM
kateL

Reged: 12/14/04
Loc: Camano Island, WA

Hi, I have been reading all your posts regarding eating disorders and I just wanted to relate. I suffered anorexia/bulimia for a good eight years and luckily have been free of them for ten years. I know prior to the ED I had a gassy stomach and some constipation. I also have a mother who has had IBS-D all her life. I have to say that my bowel problems have been much worse still since the ED. It frustrates me that there is so little support for this aspect of recovery because having all the pain and difficulty along with dealing with emotional issues does not help one recover successfully. I also work in a hospital and can recall a woman who suffered an eating disorder and her system was so screwed up she had a gastric tube just to release gas. I have to wonder if having an ED could cause something similiar to what diabetics suffer in which the stomach does not empty properly. I've had a colonoscopy and it was normal too and basically sent on my way. In other words,we have done all we can do for you now. So I don't know how this can help but it is nice to relate to others. Being out of the prison of an eating disorder with IBS is still better than having the ED. I can tell you too from my occupation that people with normal guts worry about their bowels too. Thanks KateL

I have delayed gastric emptying new
      #170881 - 04/18/05 11:31 AM
Augie

And when I looked up the possible causes on the internet, anorexia/bulimia was listed. A side effect is constipation, early satiety, and bloating.

I don't know if once you start eating normaly, it goes back to normal or not. I have eaten normally for a few years now, and still I have this.

I know with diabetics, the vagus nerve is the cause. Perhaps we have damaged our vagus nerve?

Kate, have you thought about getting some sort of gastric tube? Do you get any feedback as to whether our pain and symptoms are permanent? You have been ED free for 10 years and yet you still suffer. This depresses me. I was hoping that as time passed, my body would get used to the normal eating and would return to normal functioning without pain.

But after reading your post, it seems like I will have a lifetime of constant pain and constipation. That there is nothing I can do now to erase the past. This greatly depresses me. I am at a lose for words. So sad that this will be my life forever.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: I have delayed gastric emptying new
      #170910 - 04/18/05 12:40 PM
kateL

Beth,
Please don't let my post make you feel bad. I didn't intend for it too. My symptoms are not constant and the life I have with IBS is definitely better than the life with an ED. Like I said I had a mother who has IBS so I can't say for sure if mine is from genetics,my ED or stress. I've also been told by my GI that I have an extra long colon. So who knows. I guess when I am having symptoms I just focus more on it. Please, please do not let it get you down. I am basically very happy other than this and being able to live normally(other than IBS issues) around food it the greatest gift after an ED. I think the medical establishment kind of throws up their hands at IBS and as you have heard womens issues(as this mostly is)are not funded in the research area as much as other medical issues. I think having people like Heather and all of us who are brutally honest about IBS will draw more attention to this issue. There is always hope. I would never have any sort of tube or surgery for this. This person I mentioned was a very extreme case and I believe had not recovered with the ED. I don't know how bad your delayed gastric emptying is but there are also certain medications that can help that. Also the IBS diet appears to be easier on the digestive tract. Please keep positive. KateL

#170955 - 04/18/05 02:49 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

No I don't think you need a endoscopy since you been eating alright. I'm sorry to hear about the osteoporosis and I hope your doctor is helping to keep it from getting worse.

Plus don't get so depressed about the C and pain. You are GF and I'm wondering if you are getting enough insoluble fiber. I am IBS-C, but once changing my diet over to Heather's suggestion I can eat and have a BM every two to three days. That is great for me, since I it use to be once every two weeks.

My guess your pain is coming from being too C and of course you don't want to eat. You need to figure out how to get your BM's moving, so you can increase your food intake, which will allow you to have regular BM's. Increase your water intake if you don't drink enough water. Excercise also helps get those BM's moving.

Do a search on IBS-C. There are alot of posts on this topic. You also should not accept pain for the rest of your life. You need to accept you had an ED, forgive yourself for abusing your body and move on. Stress plays a role in your IBS.

Yes I still eat when in pain and C, because heavy bread feels good on my stomach. I was dx 3 years ago and lived in daily pain and lost alot of weight from not eating. I told myself many years ago I would never go back to my ED days and the weight lost scared me.

Since you are GF try eating rice cakes with natural peanut butter on it. There are good tasting GF crackers you can eat too to help settle your stomach. Corn muffins are tasty too. It is fine to eat veggies, which are impt. insolube fiber to eat. Check the recipe board - there are plenty of soups full of veggies and filling. I love eating oatbran hot cereal in the mornings and that should be safe for you eat. Oats are soluble fiber and the bran is the insoluble fiber.

#171435 - 04/19/05 11:35 AM
Augie

It's hard to forgive myself for my Eating Disorder since I think most of my pain now may be caused by it. How can I forgive myself for doing this to myself?

I tried taking Actonel for osteoporosis but it tore my stomach apart! I don't know how to treat it without creating even more pain. I need to find a doctor who might know how. My OB is the one who is concerned.

Tell me how you eat to stop the pain and manage the constipation! Please. I would love some sample daily menus. Like, how many fruits and vegetables do you eat in a day? Do you eat brown rice over white? You could email me at deerbeth@yahoo.com if you would like. I need all the input I can get. Do you take Miralax or SFS or flax meal?

Please be honest with me. Do you think that there will always be pain and problems because of the long years of severe eating disorder? Please, just be frank with you? Or maybe over time it will lessen. I want an honest opinion, even if it is negative. I just want to know if I should give up trying to search for a pain relief and accept the fact that I will have the pain and symptoms.

Oatbran hot cereal is not gluten free, as oats are not allowed. Otherwise, the Oatbran would be my first choice!

Thanks Barbara

--------------------
~ Beth

KateL new
      #171449 - 04/19/05 11:58 AM
Augie

My mother has IBS-D also, but not everyday. Just sometimes. And my brothers also have "stomach problems". So, there is some family background as well.

Plus, I am a stress monster. Everything is hightened in stress level for me and I do not handle it well. Dealing with the pain and unanswered questions to my problem is the number one stress in my life. Ironic that the cause of stress creates more symptoms.

The medicines for delayed gastric emptying are horrid and didn't really help. My case is not too severe, thank goodness.

I just feel sad that for so many years I didn't eat the foods I loved like Pizza, french fries, anything chocolate or lasagna and yummy fattening italian foods. And now, once the ED is gone and I would gladly eat them, I can't because of this horrible IBS. I feel like I am being punished somehow. I made decisions not to eat the food, and now I can't eat. So, I will have spent almost my whole life having never been at peace with food. Not to mention the social gatherings that center around food. First I avoided them because I didn't want to eat, and now they usually never offer anything safe and gluten free for me.

I'm rambling. Thanks for your honest reply. I don't feel so alone now. And if you can help keep me reminded that there is life after an ED even though we have all the ramifications that resulted from it, I would be grateful.

BTW, can you tolerate a Soluble Fiber Supplement, like citrucel, benefiber, or acacia even though you have an extra long colon? I know Michelle has an extra long colon and she is unable to take any SFS because it just sits in her and clogs her up more. Can you take one to help the Constipation?

Oh, one more question. You say you haven't had the ED for ten years. Is your pain and symptoms any less severe now than they were 10 years ago? I had an Eating disorder for over twice as long as yours. A lot more time for permanent damage, I fear. And doctors just are unable to tell me what the permanent effects are from long term eating disorders one the person is no longer Eating Disordered. Please, just be honest and just tell me what you think I want to hear!

thanks for sharing your story and thoughts.

Lots of love

--------------------
~ Beth

Augie - about osteoporosis new
      #171547 - 04/19/05 03:16 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Beth,

Check this web page . It mentions two medicines that can be injected. One seems to only stop new bone loss, but one, teriparatide, claims to help rebuild new bone. There are side effects, of course - bummer - but it might be worth talking to your doctor about.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: KateL new
      #171583 - 04/19/05 04:53 PM
kateL

Beth,
I understand about the meds for delayed gastric emptying and I agree about some of the side effects. I had one of them that also acts as an anti-nausea med for something unrelated and was unable to tolerate the side effects. I know stress definitely exacerbates my symptoms. Yoga has helped tremendously with that. I did have some problems related to my ED such as my teeth and a loose cardiac spincter(the flap from your esophagus to stomach). I used to have really bad heartburn. I believe the body is designed to heal itself in a very remarkable way. I haven't had heartburn for ages and thanks to a good dentist all the damage is repaired. My symptoms prior to the ED were basically gas and just not having a BM. I know when I was stressed even back then I would get that butterfly feeling in my stomach which is the same feeling I get today when stressed and makes me have D. Having an eating disorder is like living in a prison. I felt like I could never enjoy life while wrapped up in the ED. Being free from that is the greatest thing in the world. I don't worry about my weight or what I eat(other than things related to IBS)and food is not something used like a chemical anymore. I guess I don't feel bad anymore that I had an ED. I am greatful that I have recovered. It also helps with everyone being honest and open. You should be proud that you have overcome that part of your life.
I have to say also that I used to feel deprived about not eating all those things you mentioned but I recently watched a movie that changed my mind about certain foods. The movie is a documentary called 'supersize me' about a guy that eats McDonalds for a month straight. He is followed by a nutritionist and MD during the month and it is shown the results of some of these foods. It is kind of done in a humorous way so it was very enjoyable to watch. I hope this helps. Take care Kate

Re: Augie - about osteoporosis new
      #171587 - 04/19/05 05:01 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Thanks for the info. My grandmother uses Calcitonin spray, and it really decreases the pain. She's 84. With the spray, she's better able to go for short brief walks. I'm 30 and have Osteopenia. I was taking Didrocal, however, it was causing a lot of tummy upset (nausea, heartburn, vomitting). It's seriously constipating, too. I stopped taking it. I think I might suggest the Calcitonin spray the next time I see my M.D. Bone loss hurts.

Re: Augie - about osteoporosis new
      #171730 - 04/20/05 08:11 AM
Sand

Interesting. My Family Practitioner told me the spray didn't do much, but that was a few years ago. It sounds like they've improved it. I'll have to bring it up with her again. Thanks for the tip.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

I also read that that the spray... new
      #171745 - 04/20/05 08:35 AM
Augie

and injections for calcitonin only stop the progression and do not help build new bone which is what I desperately need. I also know there that the doctors are reluctant to give injections monthly or the spray as the pills are cheaper and most insurance co will not pay for the injections and/or spray.

--------------------
~ Beth

Beth, did you see my earlier post to you in this thread? new
      #171759 - 04/20/05 08:51 AM
Sand

I referred you to a Website that talks about an injection that claims to rebuild bone. Even if your insurance company won't usually pay for it, try asking for an exemption since you can't take any of the oral stuff. It never hurts to ask. If your doctor will go to bat for you, you might have a chance at getting it reimbursed.

Good luck.

--------------------

Yes, I saw it! new
      #171765 - 04/20/05 08:58 AM
Augie

I was just backing you up on your knowledge about calcitonin in particular. That I had heard the same thing.

And just FYI, my doc doesn't back me up about anything. I need a new one, but then he will not know my history and may try me again on the traditional meds as he could not "ethically" support arguing with an insurance company until he knows I cannot handle them. Plus, I find that doctors do not like to deal with insurance companies in general. I guess it's too much work for them to fight for their patients needs, so they don't!

Plus, my insurance company is stinky. I am fighting to get coverage for Pelvic Floor dysfunction physical therapy which they won't cover because biofeedback is not included. The insurance company says their hands are tied because it was the employers descion not to have that coverage for their employees. UGH. Why can't we be allowed to get the help and medications we need.

My morning rant!

--------------------
~ Beth

Too bad, Beth. I thought it might be worth a try. -nt- new
      #171928 - 04/20/05 01:44 PM
Sand

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 275 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12922

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review