All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
For those who had Eating Disorders
      #169615 - 04/13/05 01:27 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Have your doctors given you any idea on if Eating Disorders cause permanent damage to our GI systems that perhaps will not be alleviated by any diet or drug?

I'm just afraid that my long battle with my Eating Disorder (went down to 69 pounds and stayed around 80 (I'm 5'5 1/2" tall) for most of my adult life because of anorexia) has brought me to a place where I will never experience any resemblance of normalcy.

My doctor told me that it's usually only the Eating Disordered people who have abused laxatives who experience permanent problems, and he assured me that once my body got used to eating normally, the pain and symptoms would go away. Well, that was 2 years ago!

What have your doctors told you? I believe the ED caused the IBS, but I'm afraid that since I developed my problems from this eating disorder, that maybe that is why I am not responding as well as others on the board who have not had this trauma to there insides.

I had a colonoscopy done about 3 years ago and that didn't show any damage, but I had some awful bulimic episodes after that, so don't know if there was damage after that. I also had an endoscopy done about 2 years ago and that didn't show damage either.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: For those who had Eating Disorders new
      #169639 - 04/13/05 02:22 PM
jessica28

Reged: 08/10/04
Loc: Phoenix, AZ

Hi Augie! I haven't been on much lately...how are you? Silly question I guess. I'm not doing so well either. I think my ED has caused alot of this as well. Now that I have insurance I'm making an appt. with a GI to get checked out. I just hope he doesn't say "eat more fiber" like every other doctor. I'll keep you posted.....

BETH!!! new
      #169743 - 04/13/05 09:47 PM
doubletrouble

Reged: 11/14/04
Loc: Canberra, Australia

HUGS, HUGS, HUGS sweetie! You sound so down, I wish I could say something that would help. I believe that eating disorders can maybe have something to do with IBS but I didn't have one (well, I sort of have a problem lately) and I can't find relief either! You're not alone in your pain, I understand and empathise with you every day! I'm sure that one day we will find what's right for your body (and mine). Hang in there and if you need to cry or complain please email me!

--------------------
Amy

Re: BETH!!! new
      #169902 - 04/14/05 11:45 AM
trapley

Reged: 03/16/05
Loc: Miami, FLorida

I haven't ever had an eating disorder in the past, but I really dont think IBS comes on its own. I think that it can be prompted by emotional or pyhsical activities.

I know that in the beggining my IBS almost caused me to have an eating disorder because I was so afraid of food. Thankfully I have conquered that.

Its weird becasue now I am very small (I'm lucky if I"m 110 soaking wet!) and people assume that I am weight obsessed or have an eating disorder, but it really doesn't help when I am sitting there reading the lables in the store before I put something in my buggy, I am not reading it for fat content, just trying to see if it contains harmful indgredients LOL

--------------------
Keep Smiling

#169906 - 04/14/05 11:58 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

I used to think that as well. How long ago since your disorder was corrected? It CAN take years.

Last time I starved myself was, probably six years ago. And I'm just now feeling better--but I have a hunch going GF is what is making me feel so much better.

I would talk to a nutritionist about this and see what they think...

ED def. have a long term impact on our bods. BUT I think it can be healed over time (like anything else). Be patient with your bod...and kind too. Just like you are for everyone else in the world *hugs*

We love ya Beth!!!

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#169960 - 04/14/05 04:38 PM
beacon1961

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Marlton, NJ

Hi Beth,

I had a relapse of my eating disorder and it has taken yrs to recover. I starved myself and was very thin up to about 2 yrs ago. I have suspected the same-that I have screwed up my body with the starving-although this time as an adult I was not bulemic and did not abuse laxitives-I just didn't eat.

I was diagnosed with celiac four years ago and have had really bad IBS for about the last 2 yrs since I started eating normal again. To make it worse I mentally am not dealing with the weight gain well and I am depressed alot. I feel fat and bloated almost 24/7 and I find it very difficult to even lose an ounce.

I am a deeply spiritual person and I believe that is really the only thing that pulls me through on my really bad days. We will find answers and are fortunate to have all of us to support each other through this-since it is so hard to relate to if you don't experience any of our symptoms.

Mary

--------------------
It only takes a few committed people to change the world!

#170001 - 04/14/05 09:15 PM
fishnets

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: MA

I never told my GI doctor about my history with an ED, I really didn't want the lecture and stupid comments I knew I would get (bad experiences from more then one doctor!). He seemed pretty clueless too, like gee I'm young yet suddenly I have 4 digestive disorders for no reason...you'd think he'd ask what the hell I was doing lol. But yeah, back a few years ago I too was told from other ED'd people that it would take awhile for my digestion to normalize...yet a year later and no change, I was like ok something's wrong! Unfortunatly I'm STILL ED'd, I keep going back and forth Obviously this is not good for my IBS, but whatever.

Anyway, I never abused laxatives yet I have IBS, so I don't know how much a factor laxatives usually is in situations like this. One thing I just wondered though, do ED'd people tend to get IBS-C more then the other types? I know you and I are IBS-C, what about others here? I really think you should have another endoscopy and colonoscopy done, since you've been having so much trouble.

--------------------
IBS-C

Fishnets, what are your 4 digestive disorders? new
      #170107 - 04/15/05 08:44 AM
Augie

What do you have besides IBS?

And I truly hope you are getting help for your bulimia. Your IBS will never get better until you are over that! It will only get worse as the years go on.

--------------------
~ Beth

Hi Mary new
      #170110 - 04/15/05 08:51 AM
Augie

Did your doc tell you if the pain will ever get better now that your ED is no longer active for 2 years? That seems long enough to find some relief. Don't you think.

Interesting that we are both IBS-C, had eating disorders, IBS, gluten intolerance. Do you think there is a connection?

Do you think the ED did permanent damage and that no diet or fiber supplement will be able to help because there is permanent damage or effects from our ED's? That's a scary thought, isn't it?

I totally relate to the feeling fat 24/7. When I was anorexic I had a concave tummy, and now I just feel this fatness and bloat all the time. Cruel turn of events. I am gaining like crazy despite not increasing calories at all, which I fear will not stop.

PS. Do you now take a SFS?

Please email me at deerbeth@yahoo.com if you would like. Your email address is not on your profile or I would contact you myself!

--------------------
~ Beth

Ruchie, it's been... new
      #170111 - 04/15/05 08:55 AM
Augie

1 1/2 years that I have not starved myself or thrown up. I thought I would feel some relief by now. And as you know, GF doesn't have the same relief for me as it does for you.

I hope you are right that it can be healed over time. But there is always the possibility that permanent damage took place, as I was ED for close to 20 years! Over 1/2 my life!

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 631 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12922

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review